• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Where is the best/cheapest/fastest place to get this ammo? I know it's hard to get all three, so cheapest should definitely be first. :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For the price and availability of components, do you find it worth the trouble? Or is it just an enjoyable hobby for you, regardless of cost?

Honestly, I've not thought about it. A bit of both, I think.

I got 700 pulled bullets for $50. They're out there; just have to look. I got all the medium ball, but a gent over on gunboards.com should have 123grn that I didn't want; last I knew he wasn't keeping them. That would be about 7¢ per round.

Powder, well, that's the expensive part. Varget, I got maybe 150 rounds loaded for a pound of powder. I'm using H335 now, haven't touched one off yet, but it takes a grain less starting, and is a couple bucks cheaper. So, say 15¢ per round.

Primers, 100 large rifle, $3.50. About 4¢ per round.

Brass, well, got most of mine free (thanks! you know who you are!). I bought 20 more Winchester and fired them. So, after the initial brass investment, each piece is good for five to 10 reloadings, depending on how hard you push 'em and if you anneal 'em first. So let's say five reloadings, a buck apiece on the brass, that's about 100 rounds. So 5¢ apiece.

So, if I take all that into consideration, I figure I'm getting 31¢ for a shot, or 20 shots for $6.20, give or take.

Around here, surplus of variable quality is about $8 per 20, or about $4.98 per 20 if 880 are bought in bulk (according to ammoman.com).

Now, I believe in the inherent accuracy of the MO-seen Nagan, so tailoring loads is essential. I weigh each bullet (they vary quite a bit in surplus, by several grains, as does the powder charge).

In essence, I have rounds capable of delivering accuracy superseding the 7n1, and certainly better than I can shoot. Until I saw the groups of an M1 Garand on another board, I thought I was doing terrible, but I guess I just have to learn to shoot with open irons again. It's not fair for me to judge my performance with iron sights against my performance with my 'scoped .22. Now and again I pull a sub-MOA group when using non-stock sights, my eyes are fresh, and using a few sharpshooters' tricks.

Mostly I hover around 2" at 100 yards though.

Been toying with the idea of buying another MO-seen to 'scope, but I recrowned my current one and have yet to shoot it (weather willing, that will take place tomorrow), and hopefully I improved things just a bit as I found a nick on the crown.

However, I'm really doing better with the open-sighted MO-seen than with open-sighted .22 rifles at the same ranges; thinking about it, I'm shooting better with this than any open-sighted rifle I've used except for maybe my traditional blackpowders.

That takes good ammo tailored to the rifle.

Josh

P.S. The "MO-seen" thing is strictly for my own benefit. I'm tired of pronouncing it like it rhymes with "poison", so I have to both see it in type over and over, type it over and over, and say it over and over. J.S.

Top Bottom