• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I want a 357 revolver, Ive had a 686 and sold it, wish I had it back. Now Im looking agian, I didnt realize the price difference, almost $200, Rugers cheaper. any advantages or disadvantages to either. Is there an acuracy or velocity difference between 4 and 6 inch, enough to make a real difference?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a GP 100. It came with adjustable sights. D*** fine gun. Shoots great! Can fire the heaviest 357 loads out of it with no problem. Rugar makes their revolvers (minus barrel, cylinder and trigger assembly) out of one solid piece of steal. Very solid gun.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have a 686 4" barrel. I was surprised to find that it conceals IWB under just a polo with no problem. Sweet trigger too.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Tough choice. Both are winners. If I were to have only one handgun, it would be one of these two.

The Rugers are known for their toughness, and the Smiths have a rep for great triggers. If it will be used for hunting where you might try a lot of full-house loads, I'd go with the Ruger. I went through this same decision about a year ago and picked the Smith partly because I did not have one yet and I did like the trigger better. The 6 inch is better for target and hunting (deer) but I hope to get a 4" Ruger next for HD and vehicle carry. Let us know what you get and how it works for you.
    ---
    GB!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have both; the Ruger is the one I take out hunting,camping,etc. Smiths are the prom queens. Oddly, I do not notice a significant difference in group size between 4 and 6 in., but I'm not the best shot around. About 60 f.p.s. on the velocity.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I've got the Ruger and all I can say is that they are built like a tank. Look at Gemini Customs on there web page. They do some beautiful work on them. I'm waiting on my Ruger SP 101 to come back from them. The GP hands down!!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    OK, so you made your first mistake in selling your first 686. Now you have the opportunity to right that mistake by getting another one, or making another mistake by getting the Ruger:D

Advantage Smith:
    Great Trigger Out of the Box (the Ruger will require a trigger job for great performance)
    Can be purchased in 6 or 7 rounds
    Better Accuracy (typically, probably due to the better trigger)
    Better ergonomics
    Simply looks better
    Gives that satisfied feeling that you made the right choice

Advantage Ruger:
    Cheaper (for a reason)
    Built like a tank (looks like one, feels like your pulling one on the trigger too)
    Can take "Ruger only loads" (in case your too cheap to bump up in caliber)

As to the barrel length, 2" won't make any significant difference in velocity. It will give you a little better sight for shooting, so accuracy might improve. If you are purchasing with only hunting in mind, the 6" is a good choice. If you have any other plans for it, the 4" is the only way to go.

Either way, its the 686 you want.

(Edit: Did I mention the 686 is the greatest 357 of all time?)

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    Got to go with the 686. I have two of them, a 2" and a 6" and love tham both. You can never go wrong with a S&W revolver, and they hold there value better.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I can promise you that chicks dig the GP100 with the 6 inch barrel.

IMG_0315.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I say buy whichever your budget allows...

I used to own a 4" blued GP100. Fantastic gun. Wish I'd never sold it...

I now have a 5" 686-6 7shot... Fantastic gun. I hope I never sell it...

I don't recall the trigger on the Ruger to be terrible. Not at all, really. It is a little more stiff than the 686. I also really enjoyed the rubber w/wood insert grips on the Ruger; wish they still made them.

-J-

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Thanks for all the replies, although there is no clear favorite. Does anybody have either of these they would like to get rid of?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ruger GP100 anyday! Ruger's are built like a tank and are able to stand up to heavier / hotter loads...repeatedly! They may have a nicer trigger, but I've seen too many 686's blown up...not able to withstand the workload! The Ruger trigger will smooth out over time...or, just get a set of Wolff Springs to dampen it down just a bit...then the trigger feels GREAT!

Nicest part...for Home Defense or carry...Meprolight makes a very nice set of adjustable, Tritium night sights for the GP100 (adjustable sight version)! XS Sights makes a very nice pinned in front sight for the fixed sight versions...I have their's on my 4" GP100!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I got rid of my snub nose 686, that was a sweet gun, especially after a trigger job. I would say get another S&W and don't look back.

Bingo

Ruger GP100 anyday! Ruger's are built like a tank and are able to stand up to heavier / hotter loads...repeatedly! They may have a nicer trigger, but I've seen too many 686's blown up...not able to withstand the workload! The Ruger trigger will smooth out over time...or, just get a set of Wolff Springs to dampen it down just a bit...then the trigger feels GREAT!

Nicest part...for Home Defense or carry...Meprolight makes a very nice set of adjustable, Tritium night sights for the GP100 (adjustable sight version)! XS Sights makes a very nice pinned in front sight for the fixed sight versions...I have their's on my 4" GP100!

If at all possible, can you document at least one of the "too many 686's" you've seen "blown up"? Just curious because I have never seen one "blow up" from shooting heavy loads.

Meprolight also makes a set of nightsites for the 686. I have them on mine.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    My brother picked up a new 686 a couple of months ago. I just don't see the $200 difference anymore. Years ago the S&W revolvers had a marked upper hand in regards to fit and finish. Now the gap is so close that I would get the Ruger. If you want the best pistol you can get $200 will get some basic work done on the Ruger so that it feels better than the out of the box Smith.

If I was in your shoes I would look for a classic S&W. Price will be in the same ballpark and you get a much better overall pistol. A bonus is that you don't have to pay the NIB premium. So if you need to sell it you shouldn't lose and might even come out on top.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    My brother picked up a new 686 a couple of months ago. I just don't see the $200 difference anymore. Years ago the S&W revolvers had a marked upper hand in regards to fit and finish. Now the gap is so close that I would get the Ruger. If you want the best pistol you can get $200 will get some basic work done on the Ruger so that it feels better than the out of the box Smith.

If I was in your shoes I would look for a classic S&W. Price will be in the same ballpark and you get a much better overall pistol. A bonus is that you don't have to pay the NIB premium. So if you need to sell it you shouldn't lose and might even come out on top.

Totally agree, I've got a 686 and a 19. Both are wonderful guns. You will be very satisfied with spending the extra money. Once you get accustomed to it you can't miss. My 686 doesn't get shot very much. It is a commerative marked pistol in a display case.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom