• ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    No girls there, just a bunch of GIs.
    Yeah, I can't imagine that would provide the same type of appeal, lol.

Like film getting expensive and unsupported, part of the reason I like reloading is that it allows me to future-proof my hobby a bit. If a particular load becomes unavailable, I can usually replicate it myself with what I have on hand, at least for a while. I'm hoarding my remaining supply of 135gr Gold Dots at the moment because Speer seems to not be making enough of anything these days. Also, it's allowed me to get into some oddball caliber stuff that I wouldn't be able to shoot if I didn't load for it.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    A lot of it is going to depend on your hand size, finger length, and how the shape of your hand conforms to the finger grooves. The overmolded grip is going to have a longer length of pull than the one with the exposed backstrap. That offers better recoil mitigation, but that may not be a huge issue either way for such a large, steel-framed gun chambered in .357. Hogue makes good quality stuff, so provided it fits your hand right and works in your application, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have always liked the Pachmayr grips. Have about 4 different styles, but my best choice were the Presentation Models. Full sized similar to the S&W Target models in wood. Second choice were the Gripper model, finger grooves and back strap are covered in neoprene. Wore mine on a M66 Square handle, not a big fan of the skjnny Magna grips.
    Houge makes nice wood, and rubber style are pretty skinny. I would look at others too.
    Good luck.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I looked at Pachmayr. I ended up ordering the Hogue Tamer. It is round-to-square-butt conversion, covers the backstrap completely, and has finger grooves deeper than the OEM. It is also slightly wider at the base. I'll put up some before and after photos after I shoot both grips, again.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Well, I forgot to get before photos because I was too anxious to try the new Hogue Tamer grips. Like a kid in a candy store. Anyway, some commentary, and some photos.

Apologies for not getting the before photos, but I think these grips 'fit' the mass of the 686 better than the factory grips. The gun is big (well, not N-frame big), so to me it looks better with bigger grips. Installation was butt-simple. #10 hex drive to remove the factory grip, then clip the bracket over the grip stud, guide the grip on, screw it down, done. Perfect fit and all done in 3 minutes. The Hogue Tamer fills my hand a lot better, though admittedly, I haven't shot it yet. Photos 2 & 3 show the large difference between the essentially round-butt factory grip, and the Hogue square-butt-ish style. Round for carry, square for range; I will never carry this gun. It weighs in at about two tons, compared to my CM9 and CA Off Duty (off for warranty/repair/replace).

It is pretty easy to see the Hogue has more front-to-back length, which feels really good for my thumb, trigger finger, and middle two fingers placement. It is also wider left to right, at the top of the grip which also aids in a good firm grip. From the last photo, you can see the palm swell, and the narrowing toward the bottom that affords my pinkie finger good purchase. I really like this grip, and it does not interfere withi HKS 587 7-round speed-loaders.

Stuff you can't really see in the photos. The Hogue rubber over the back strip is nearly twice the thickness of the factory grips, and the entire thing is made of rubber that is a bit spongier than the factory grips. This should make full-house magnum loads pretty darn easy to shoot, not that I will be using a bunch of them. My home defense ammo of choice will start out as the same round I'll be using in my new 442: Hornady 110gr Critical Defense standard pressure .38 special. My progress to CD 125gr .357 eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_5266.JPG
      IMG_5266.JPG
      518.5 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_5267.JPG
      IMG_5267.JPG
      523.1 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_5270.JPG
      IMG_5270.JPG
      369.6 KB · Views: 9
    • IMG_5271.JPG
      IMG_5271.JPG
      352.8 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_5273.JPG
      IMG_5273.JPG
      353.7 KB · Views: 9

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Well, I forgot to get before photos because I was too anxious to try the new Hogue Tamer grips. Like a kid in a candy store. Anyway, some commentary, and some photos.

Apologies for not getting the before photos, but I think these grips 'fit' the mass of the 686 better than the factory grips. The gun is big (well, not N-frame big), so to me it looks better with bigger grips. Installation was butt-simple. #10 hex drive to remove the factory grip, then clip the bracket over the grip stud, guide the grip on, screw it down, done. Perfect fit and all done in 3 minutes. The Hogue Tamer fills my hand a lot better, though admittedly, I haven't shot it yet. Photos 2 & 3 show the large difference between the essentially round-butt factory grip, and the Hogue square-butt-ish style. Round for carry, square for range; I will never carry this gun. It weighs in at about two tons, compared to my CM9 and CA Off Duty (off for warranty/repair/replace).

It is pretty easy to see the Hogue has more front-to-back length, which feels really good for my thumb, trigger finger, and middle two fingers placement. It is also wider left to right, at the top of the grip which also aids in a good firm grip. From the last photo, you can see the palm swell, and the narrowing toward the bottom that affords my pinkie finger good purchase. I really like this grip, and it does not interfere withi HKS 587 7-round speed-loaders.

Stuff you can't really see in the photos. The Hogue rubber over the back strip is nearly twice the thickness of the factory grips, and the entire thing is made of rubber that is a bit spongier than the factory grips. This should make full-house magnum loads pretty darn easy to shoot, not that I will be using a bunch of them. My home defense ammo of choice will start out as the same round I'll be using in my new 442: Hornady 110gr Critical Defense standard pressure .38 special. My progress to CD 125gr .357 eventually.
    See my inbound PM==I also have 1 extra 7 round HKS 'L" frame speed loader that I can send you...Bill.

Top Bottom