• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Many gun stores have no gun signs on their door. I know bradis does as well. It is for insurance purposes. Keep it holstered. I think for obvious reasons they do not want people coming in drawing their loaded gun whether it's to sell, trade, or ask questions about it. I agree it is rude to walk around any store with a phone glued to you or ringing and buzzing constantly. Seems to me your over reacting. Keep your gun holstered and cell on silent. Not that big of a deal.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Many gun stores have no gun signs on their door. I know bradis does as well. It is for insurance purposes.

BINGO! I don't know what insurance for a gun store costs, much less one that is in a not-so-nice part of town that has been robbed in the past and the owner has had to fire shots at criminals. However, I would guess that it's a pretty penny and by placing this sign on the door if he can save a few bucks on his premiums I'm okay with it. It's a business decision, nothing more.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    BINGO! I don't know what insurance for a gun store costs, much less one that is in a not-so-nice part of town that has been robbed in the past and the owner has had to fire shots at criminals. However, I would guess that it's a pretty penny and by placing this sign on the door if he can save a few bucks on his premiums I'm okay with it. It's a business decision, nothing more.
    I call BS on this. If that was the case every LGS would have it. Us Defense Solutions doesn't and im 95% sure Indy Trading Post doesn't. Those are pretty much the only 2 gun stores I ever go to.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I call BS on this. If that was the case every LGS would have it. Us Defense Solutions doesn't and im 95% sure Indy Trading Post doesn't. Those are pretty much the only 2 gun stores I ever go to.
    I have heard of other businesses putting up similar signs for insurance purposes, but I wish we had a business owner here, particularly a LGS owner, who might be able to shed more light on the subject. That, or the next person who goes to 500 Guns should ask the owner why the sign is there and report back on the forum.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have heard of other businesses putting up similar signs for insurance purposes, but I wish we had a business owner here, particularly a LGS owner, who might be able to shed more light on the subject. That, or the next person who goes to 500 Guns should ask the owner why the sign is there and report back on the forum.

If that was the case then why do gun stores with the sign posted get there panties in a bunch when someone does carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Judging people based on their appearance. Hmmm....nobody ever does that. Most people consider me to be a pretty open minded person, even socially liberal regarding many topics including appearance. But I still think and advise people that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck .........

I see no loaded gun signs on gun shops. No big deal. My favorite shop says no loaded guns unless properly holstered. It is for safety.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    If I want to buy a holster in a "no guns" place, will they let me take the holster outside to check the fit of my pistol?

If they want my gun "unloaded," just exactly how will they verify my gun is "unloaded?" Are they going to want to put a zip tie in the barrel similar to what a gun show does? I didn't ask in that particular store.

I'd really like to know these gun shops sell a holster. I've bought a holster in a big box store. The guy just took a couple holsters to the counter and used one of their guns to show me the fit. I've also bought a holster at a gun show (gun check at the door per typical gun show protocol).

The place had a "buzzer" to be let in the door. I was ok with that. Coin shops sometimes do the same thing.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    If they want my gun "unloaded," just exactly how will they verify my gun is "unloaded?" Are they going to want to put a zip tie in the barrel similar to what a gun show does? I didn't ask in that particular store.

at the shop i work at, we ask to see your gun, and we make sure its empty, it's for OUR safety, and our other customers as well!

do you ever take your kids with you to a gun shop?...how would you feel if YOUR child was shot because some idiot tried to jam a loaded gun into a holster designed for something that wouldnt ever remotely fit?, i know just because your desert eagle LOOKS like it will fit that holster that says fits ruger lcp, dont always mean it will!

if i see someone head for the holster section, i ask if they need help, and tell them you can try out any holster you like...BUT first i need to see your gun EMPTY , just because you own a gun, dosent mean you have common sense! just ask the deputy who came into our store and tried to CRAM a loaded glock 37(.45 gap) into a holster designed for a glock 19, or the idiot who handed me an feg (clone of a walther ppk), as i pulled the slide back and handed him the bullet from his UNLOADED gun, boy did his eyes get big.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I used to have a ladyfriend who lived on N. Rochester Ave. just around the corner from this gun shop. It's a pretty rough neighborhood. They were pretty hard core & would even ask if my sidearm was unloaded. Yes, they did buzz customers in. They still buzz customers in but they've lightened up considerably during the past 10-15 years & the no loaded guns sign is gone & I left my loaded revolver in the holster. On 3 separate occasions this year, I've bought 3 used shotguns from them. I was NOT asked if I was armed or if my sidearm was unloaded like in times past.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They used to have the best stock of high end shotguns in the city for sure. Personally I would always ask to buy a h@k p7 ever time I went in. If I remember my history correct it saved his life. If I went they that ordeal I would put up a sign myself.

“my playground my rules. “

maybe before people get bent out of shape they should think of the quote marks above.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    I just bought my M18 there last month. They buzzed me in before I grabbed the door handle. I definitely carried a loaded and ready gun in there but it was concealed and they didn’t ask and I didn’t tell. Didn’t see any signs.

The M18 hung on every round. After I got it broke in, it hasn’t had any more issues. I probably have 500-1000 rounds through it now and it hasn’t hung once since the first couple of magazines. I think it was hanging on whatever they did to the P320 after the drop safe recall but I am not sure of that. They did respond to my first email. The response was useless and totally not helpful but it was polite and they did respond. Once I got it running smooth I let them know. They didn’t respond. If they sell someone the same gun with the same issue they may not love the gun as much as I did and just want to return it. I wanted to tell them my experience so they could tell any other customer with the same issue that they just need to oil and work the action a bit. They didn’t seem to care. Oh well, maybe they already knew that. I would buy another gun there in a heartbeat. They have a lot of really cool guns in there you don’t typically find everywhere else. They had a Luger for $1,000. I have been meaning to go back in there and have a look. Afraid I might walk out $1000 poorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    If I want to buy a holster in a "no guns" place, will they let me take the holster outside to check the fit of my pistol?

I'd really like to know these gun shops sell a holster. I've bought a holster in a big box store. The guy just took a couple holsters to the counter and used one of their guns to show me the fit. I've also bought a holster at a gun show (gun check at the door per typical gun show protocol).

The place had a "buzzer" to be let in the door. I was ok with that. Coin shops sometimes do the same thing.

You go in without the gun and tell them you are looking for a holster. Then you ask if you can bring it in cased and unloaded. If I am taking a gun into a store, which I try to avoid doing (other than the concealed one I am carrying) I always lock the action open and make sure not to take any magazines or ammo in with it. The last couple times I have taken the gun apart and taken in only the part I need help with. Took in only a slide to find a sight recently.

What guns the holster fits is printed on the packages. It will fit the gun it says it fits. Unless you have a weird gun there really isn’t a need to take the gun in for fitment. How well it fits you is another story but you are not going to get a good idea on that until you use it a while.

I find the plastic IWB holsters uncomfortable. I have two 1791 leather holsters. A big one and a small one. All 7 of my pistols fit into one or the other. They have a flap of leather that comes up over the back of the slide so it doesn’t dig in when I sit down. I highly recommend the 1791 holsters. I know leather isn’t the best for the finishes but I don’t mind they look worn or used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thread revival. Having now worked in a gun shop (and technically still on staff) I can tell you I have a whole different appreciation of what the gun owning public consists. Oh the stories. Lot of new gun owners post Covid. Always been a lot of idiots, ignorance and ego. No buzzer on the door, all are welcome. But if you bring a gun into the store and it is not holstered we will check it!!!! ALL GUNS ARE LOADED UNTIL WE VERIFY THEY ARE NOT. Even then you will be expected to observe proper gun handling. Holstered handguns are fine, duct tape it to your forehead for all we care but leave it in the damn holster. If you wouldn’t do it in WalMart then don’t do it in a gun store. Guns in cases get checked right away because I have yet to see a cased gun get brought into the shop and not at some point be taken out of the case. People just don’t case you their guns to take them for a walk.

We carry a lot of holsters. To check fit we can 1) get a gun out of the case or 2) give you a marked case and have you go to your car and unload. Honestly a clearing barrel would be much safer but people don’t seem to know what to do with those. (Hint: don’t insert barrel and pop off a round.)

We do have the occasional problem with idiots not letting us touch their guns to check whether they are unloaded. The young guys usually look at those people with scared puppy eyes. But if they are unlucky enough to be talking to the retired CA prison guard or the retired Ranger the store usually ends up with a negative Facebook review. For some reason those guys don’t like loaded guns pointed at other people.

Top Bottom