• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wish more people (outside of INGO / gun forums / self defense-minded people) would realize that one punch can kill you. It can kill you rather quickly, it can cause you to suffer secondary / tertiary damage as a result of falling, or one punch can kill you "later" should you suffer lingering injuries that will ultimately lead to your demise.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I really try to avoid getting punched at any opportunity. One of my room mates was an Illinios State Golden Gloves boxer. His normal demeanor was pretty decent.

He would often wake up violently imagining he was in a boxing match. He darn near took my lights out the first time I tried to check on him. Hearing the trashing about made me think he was in a medical emergency. I think some stuff got rattled around in his brain on the way to the Championships.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Until you receive a well delivered strike to the face/head/chest etc. there is no way to describe it. A solid, well delivered strike to the heart (chest) can and will put you on the floor seeing stars. The same strike to the point of your chin will put you in the hospital.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I really try to avoid getting punched...

Hmmm, me too. I have actually found it relatively easy to go for 20+ years as an adult without getting punched. My secret? Don't be a dick.:ugh:

Actually, carrying a gun probably has more to do with it.;)

When I was younger and dumber, I thought fighting was fun and never really had any fear about being seriously injured or killed. When I started carrying, I found myself actively trying to avoid confrontations instead of seeking them out. The biggest part of that was learning to keep my mouth shut no matter how badly some dude needed to be told what an arse he was.

Sure, you can still be a victim of a sucker punch/knockout game type of thing, but just being nice to people greatly reduces your risk of being punched in the face.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I only remember, vaguely, being struck in the face twice. Both times were during my drinking days. Imagine that lol

One of them was a head-butt to the face. The doctor said I was really lucky.
    I looked like Rocky the Raccoon for days..

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Until you receive a well delivered strike to the face/head/chest etc. there is no way to describe it. A solid, well delivered strike to the heart (chest) can and will put you on the floor seeing stars. The same strike to the point of your chin will put you in the hospital.

Even a good thump to the chest can stop your heart.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I was in high school I was boxing with a good friend in his basement. We had boxing gloves on and were pretty equally matched, he may have had a few pounds on me. He caught me in the jaw and I actually remember seeing stars and staggering. Other than a few minor altercations in the Army, I've been able to avoid fights.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I was in high school I was boxing with a good friend in his basement. We had boxing gloves on and were pretty equally matched, he may have had a few ponds on me. He caught me in the jaw and I actually remember seeing stars and staggering. Other than a few minor altercations in the Army, I've been able to avoid fights.

And I would guess that more than being able to avoid them, you've been willing to do so. It's that whole maturity thing.

When I was a pretty young kid, I took karate for a short period of time. The first lesson I learned was when not to use it, and that has stuck with me. It's my understanding that most martial arts schools start with that lesson, and I like that fact.

I'm not a fighter. I don't want to have to use any of the skills needed in a fight. I know how to do horrible things to a human body, but I have the wisdom and maturity to prefer to use my brain, not my fists and feet, and avoid a fight. I also have this whole self-preservation thing going on, and I'd prefer not to have any of those horrible things done to me. Sure, there are times someone desperately needs an ass-whoopin'... Rapists, child molesters, you know the type. Unless I catch them in the act, and that's the only way to stop them, though, I'd prefer to detain and get someone with a badge to teach them the finer points of what happens when you resist arrest.

Blessings,
    Bill

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is true. Never been punched in the face, but I've been hit in chest pretty well. My sternum was sore for a couple weeks, not to mention the immediate pain.

Top Bottom