• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Just loaded my first batch of 458 socom. Below are some photos and more information on my loads. I'm using starline brass which came already sized at 1.570
    brass.jpg

caselenght.jpg

Outside and inside deburr of the cases with the Lyman Case Prep Xpress.
    caseprep.jpg

I'm using Reloader 7 (40.00 grains) along with CCI350 and WLP primers.
    powderandprimers.jpg

My reloader is the Lee Loadmaster setup with Lee's 458 socom dies. The dies set includes #1) a Full Length Sizer Die (with decapping unit), #2) Powder Through Expander Die (I also prime in this location) and #4) a Bullet Seater Die which features an adjustable taper to roll crimp. #3) is setup with perfect powder measure and the Lee Universal Charging Die.
    diesetup.jpg

loadmaster.jpg

leereloadingdies.jpg

The OAL is 2.020
    bulletOAL.jpg

Some reloaded 223 next to the 458.
    223and458sidebyside.jpg

completedrounds.jpg

458rifle.jpg

458riflecloseup.jpg

I also purchased a Chronograph and will post some results as soon as I get the chance to use it.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

I have been considering buying a 458 SOCOM a great deal for the past several weeks. Your pictures tend lead more towards doing so. I saw some nice hard cast lead bullets at a reloading supply store that might be a viable alternative to jacketed bullets and if I go 458, I will probably try them.

Best regards,

Terry

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I reload for .458 as well, but use H110 in a RRA midlength. I run Remington 300 gr. JHPs, some cast gas checked 325 gr. round nose flat points and Hornady 325 FTX's. I'm using Hornady dies. I haven't found a need to crimp any loads yet. One of these days, I might order a box of the 100 gr. aluminum HPs. I just want to see the massive fire ball with those.

standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    I reload for .458 as well, but use H110 in a RRA midlength. I run Remington 300 gr. JHPs, some cast gas checked 325 gr. round nose flat points and Hornady 325 FTX's. I'm using Hornady dies. I haven't found a need to crimp any loads yet. One of these days, I might order a box of the 100 gr. aluminum HPs. I just want to see the massive fire ball with those.

I'm going to try the H110 or Lilgun the next round of reloads. Do you know the FPS your getting with H110? Also, how many grains are you using and the OAL with the Remington 300 gr (thats the bullet I'm using also)?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had Andrew at Profire load the 300 gr. Remmys. I've loaded my Hornady 325 gr. FTXs with 32.5 gr. of H110. I use CCI 350 primers. I'd have to check on the O.A.L. As long as they fit in a mag you should be good. I've read lots of good accuracy reports with the cheap Remington JHPs. I just need to find another load of them and stock up.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just loaded my first batch of 458 socom. Below are some photos and more information on my loads. I'm using starline brass which came already sized at 1.570
    brass.jpg

caselenght.jpg

Outside and inside deburr of the cases with the Lyman Case Prep Xpress.
    caseprep.jpg

I'm using Reloader 7 (40.00 grains) along with CCI350 and WLP primers.
    powderandprimers.jpg

My reloader is the Lee Loadmaster setup with Lee's 458 socom dies. The dies set includes #1) a Full Length Sizer Die (with decapping unit), #2) Powder Through Expander Die (I also prime in this location) and #4) a Bullet Seater Die which features an adjustable taper to roll crimp. #3) is setup with perfect powder measure and the Lee Universal Charging Die.
    diesetup.jpg

loadmaster.jpg

leereloadingdies.jpg

The OAL is 2.020
    bulletOAL.jpg

Some reloaded 223 next to the 458.
    223and458sidebyside.jpg

completedrounds.jpg

458rifle.jpg

458riflecloseup.jpg

I also purchased a Chronograph and will post some results as soon as I get the chance to use it.

What is the optic on that bad boy?

boyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I have a .458 socom with a middy gas system. Reloader 7 is the only powder I have found that cycles it correctly. I have loaded some IMR 4198 rounds and hope to develope some new loads. Little Gun shoots accurately but won't cycle without jamming.

standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    I have a .458 socom with a middy gas system. Reloader 7 is the only powder I have found that cycles it correctly. I have loaded some IMR 4198 rounds and hope to develope some new loads. Little Gun shoots accurately but won't cycle without jamming.

Mine is also the middy from RRA. If you also have the RRA middy, what spring are you using with it. RRA sent me two springs with my upper, a red and green. The red spring should be used with your Middy. The middy may also work with your standard 223/556 spring (which the 458 was designed to do).

boyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I use the the one which came with the A2 stock. I tried the others several times and finally went back to the original. I also use a Limbsaver butt pad. No more bruises after shooting many rounds.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Got my 458 put together yesterday (birthday present) got some 325 gr horady bullets to try first.
    Ill be reloading with a dillion 550rl. So i'll need a conversion kit,powder die and some dies.
    Will, horady,lee, and redding dies all fit in a dillion tool head?

Brass is hard to fine isnt it? I found 100 rds that im in the process od buying. Paid out the rear for it,but it'll get me started.

Anyone reload on a dillion 550? if so care to share what all i'll need to get started. Dies,conversion,powder funnel? Andrew said I needed a 45 apc conversion kit. but the guy at Orion guns said he uses a .223. I dont have the brass to check yet.
    Also, lee dies are 3 in a set and horady are 2. If I buy Hornady do I need another die?
    To the OP congrads,hope to be setup like you soon,any help would b appreciated. Thanks

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm using a .308 shell holder. My mid length runs fine with H110. I will be processing some of my once fired brass soon.... still got plenty loaded though. I also have 1000 pieces of brass backordered with Profire Arms and Supply. Andrew was doing a group buy on brass.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'm not sure about the Hornady and Lee dies, but I have used Redding in mine with no problems on other calibers, they should fit fine. Redding was what Dillon offers when they don't make a particular wildcat caliber like the 300 fireball.

Top Bottom