• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    So I am vexed. For years I have reloaded .44 Magnum for my 4" 629 without issue.

I'm using CCI LPP, with 8.0 grains of HP-38 pushing a 240 grain X-Treme copper plated bullet with a C.O.L. of 1.60" per the manufacturer. I'm using a Lee progressive press with a lock out die.

Over the last year, I have had multiple squib loads. It's gotten to the point where I can't finish a range session without a stuck bullet cutting things short.

I have changed to a fresh bottle of powder, hand loaded on a single stage press, weighting each charge. Yet the problem persists. Some go as expected, then one doesn't.

The squibs feel notably lighter, so they are easy to detect. The cases are clean and show no unburned powder.
    I am using the same primers and powder to load 10mm, which work beautifully.

It seems clear there must be an issue with the powder I can't figure out. I am wondering if there is something mechanical with the revolver that may be causing an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    You might want add a bit of fluff to fill the case. I don't know how HP38 compares to W231, but I used to use about 8grs of 231 under the same 240gr LSWC and had your problem with squibs. I use about a pea sized amount of case filler that I spread as much as possible. All I really need was something to hold the powder into the rear part of the case to get consistent ignition. You might call Hodgden to get their input.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah that sounds like my experience with HP38 in any larger revolver caliber. Just too much airspace in the case. Change to something with more case fill.

Titegroup seems resistant to positional issues even with low case fill, so that may be an option.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'll echo switching powders. HP38/231 is annoyingly sensitive to empty space in the cartridge. I've never tried it in .44 Mag, but I was getting a bunch of unburned powder in .45 ACP upped my charge weight to the max published charge. I only use it in .45 and .38 special. I have a bunch of it that I'm still working through, but when I run out I'm going to switch to Unique which in my experience is more tolerant of a broader range of loads.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    231 is my go to powder for smaller cartridges like 32 ACP and 30 Mauser. Unique, as mentioned by 92FStech is a good choice. I use it without issue in large cases like 45 Colt and 44-40. I've shot a lot of 44 mag 240 grain cast on top of 8 grains of Unique.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    231 is my go to powder for smaller cartridges like 32 ACP and 30 Mauser. Unique, as mentioned by 92FStech is a good choice. I use it without issue in large cases like 45 Colt and 44-40. I've shot a lot of 44 mag 240 grain cast on top of 8 grains of Unique.
    Unique is amazing but is very difficult to find. If you can get it, buy all of it. There aren’t many finer pistol powders than that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don’t like HP38 or 231. Heracy, I know, but I get major inconsistencies in velocity even in small cases like the 38 Long Colt. CFE pistol (for larger volumes than Titegroup) seems to be more consistent, and is position insensitive.

Kudos to another 38 long Colt loader.:thumbsup:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don’t like HP38 or 231. Heracy, I know, but I get major inconsistencies in velocity even in small cases like the 38 Long Colt. CFE pistol (for larger volumes than Titegroup) seems to be more consistent, and is position insensitive.
    I use H110 for full power loads and CFE Pistol for what I call light magnum loads.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Unique is amazing but is very difficult to find. If you can get it, buy all of it. There aren’t many finer pistol powders than that.
    I have actually started seeing it again lately (finally!). Tomlinson's in Churrubusco had a bunch the last time I was in there. It was over $50/lb, but at least they had some. Alliant must have finally gotten around to making a batch....hopefully that means it'll be showing up more places.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think HP 38 is too fast of powder for a Magnum, that is why you use so little.

Get yourself some Accurate Arms #9. It fills the case, smokes a little and makes great, consistent velocity. Winchester primers will probably light the HP 38 more reliably. You will never look back

Win 296 (H110) works good at full pressure. If you lighten the charge more than a few percent, you will get squibs.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I know nothing about 44's so help me out some. I have a few 44 brass cases, 44 rem, 44 rem mag, 44 mag. They all look the same. Is there any difference?

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I know nothing about 44's so help me out some. I have a few 44 brass cases, 44 rem, 44 rem mag, 44 mag. They all look the same. Is there any difference?
    The cartridge's name is .44 Remington Magnum. All of the names you listed are common abbreviations for this cartridge. If you need to be 100% sure, I would caliper the cases and compare them to the case specifications for the .44 Remington Magnum.

There is also .44 Special, .44 Russian and .44 Auto Mag. All of these are visually different. I'm willing to bet there are also a bunch of legacy and boutique cartridges I've never heard of.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom