• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I should have put the disclaimer….”kids don’t try this at home”.

By all means if you are not sure you can handle Magnum Rounds, stay with the smaller MM’s. Nothing wrong with the softer calibers if that is your limitations.

I witness Gun Store Groupies trying to shoot Magnums occasionally and it is quite a show, to say the least.

Let’s be careful out there.
    No problem with magnums, but I have no real need for over-compensating fudd cannons either. Not a lot of grizzlies in central Indiana. Bonus: I don't have to sit down and rest my handguns on a bench to shoot them. I suppose it's beneficial to practice shooting while sitting down though, in case a gorilla breaks into your house while you are sitting down taking a tinkle.

But I'll let casual cowboys have their boom-boom fun. :)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    No problem with magnums, but I have no real need for over-compensating fudd cannons either. Not a lot of grizzlies in central Indiana. Bonus: I don't have to sit down and rest my handguns on a bench to shoot them. I suppose it's beneficial to practice shooting while sitting down though, in case a gorilla breaks into your house while you are sitting down taking a tinkle.

But I'll let casual cowboys have their boom-boom fun. :)
    Who sits down to pee? That water is cold and the rats chew on it.

Sounds like an invite to a Magnum shooting Match?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If the LEO departments had not decided to go with Semi auto 9mm duty handguns , I think the .41 would have seen some pretty wide spread use.
    I’d say that it was a more bcause there was no 41 Special remember in that time frame the 357 mag was available and some places in the mid 60’s was reluctant to let their LE carry “Magnums”

It wasn’t until the 70’s 357 really came into its own as a LE issued caliber (or at least they allowed full power loads in the model 19’s)

I wish it was more popular than it is. It’s a GREAT round

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I’d say that it was a more bcause there was no 41 Special remember in that time frame the 357 mag was available and some places in the mid 60’s was reluctant to let their LE carry “Magnums”

It wasn’t until the 70’s 357 really came into its own as a LE issued caliber (or at least they allowed full power loads in the model 19’s)

I remember reading that some were in trial, I think with Highway patrol, but I cannot remember where I heard it. A lot of cool things never make main stream.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

That makes me wonder where are all the 357 revolvers that used to be in Leo hands?
    Did they hang on to them possibly in storage? All sold out already?
    Or were they destroyed by some leftist state law?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That makes me wonder where are all the 357 revolvers that used to be in Leo hands?
    Did they hang on to them possibly in storage? All sold out already?
    Or were they destroyed by some leftist state law?
    There were hords of them for sale in the Shotgun news back in the latter 1990’s for like 250-300. So most got gobbled up then.

Most police trades that I see now are 38’s although I did pick up a clean police trade in S&W model 65 with no cylinder ring last year on guns.com. They sold out in a few days.

So if you see one better buy or bid right then

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops had a couple, his buddies too.
    Way back.
    When there was a lot of hype.

I never understood it. IMHO get a .44 mag and a .357.
    But some folks wanted ONE gun to split the difference.

Since when is ONE gun a good idea? LOL

For me.......get a 629 6" and run specials if you want less blast and roar.
    Or drop down to a 686 or Python.

Im thinking of sending dads old 3 screw .44 Ruger to Bowen for a barrel chop.

I will add that if one wants a .357, .44 AND a .41............three instead of two, I can follow that logic :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, I don't like 300gr in .44 mag.
    But will run 180-240gr maxed out.
    Like pre lock non endurance package Smiths, but prefer the non heavies in Rugers as well.
    Not sure how the 10mm auto stacks up against the .41 mag.
    Only reason I want a 10mm is because I like 1911s
    And since its deer legal here, would swap to it and leave the .44 mag in the safe.
    Have shot .41 magnum (210gr factory) and 10mm hot handloads (think 200gr).
    Maybe I'm off, but I found the 10mm to be kinda wimpy.
    Haven't shot a .41 mag for ages, so can't remember/compare.
    I know way back I liked the .44 better, power wise (perceived).

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    BTW, I don't like 300gr in .44 mag.
    But will run 180-240gr maxed out.
    Like pre lock non endurance package Smiths, but prefer the non heavies in Rugers as well.
    Not sure how the 10mm auto stacks up against the .41 mag.
    Only reason I want a 10mm is because I like 1911s
    And since its deer legal here, would swap to it and leave the .44 mag in the safe.
    Have shot .41 magnum (210gr factory) and 10mm hot handloads (think 200gr).
    Maybe I'm off, but I found the 10mm to be kinda wimpy.
    Haven't shot a .41 mag for ages, so can't remember/compare.
    I know way back I liked the .44 better, power wise (perceived).
    Depending on bullet weight and load, the .41 magnum is typically at least 200 fps faster for similar weight bullets from similar length barrels. It is also capable of using somewhat heavier bullets, up to 265 grns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cool. Still not a .41 mag fan though.....guess Im a Fudd, or anti Fudd.....heck I dunno anymore LOL

Am not a .357 fan either, but arthritis has me lookin at wussy deer cartridges.

Suppose i could run .44 specials in pops old beater SBH. Still think it needs to go to Bowen for chop to 5"

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IN 1964, the .41 Magnum was introduced to the shooting world with predictions that it was destined to be the ultimate police round.

People under the age of 40 laugh because they don’t remember a world where the police and self-defense markets weren’t totally dominated by semi-auto pistols. Older folks who remember seeing duty cops carrying revolvers tend to believe the .41 Magnum might have fulfilled its destiny had there not been a mass migration to semi-autos by police departments across America.

Zexrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2023
    FORT WAYNE.
    Second picture it looks like there's a fire phoenix flying out the barrel. Iv shot a .44 mag at my diaper party years ago( 7 years ago). It will be something I always remember the barrel was really long I'm guessing it helped with recoil.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    IN 1964, the .41 Magnum was introduced to the shooting world with predictions that it was destined to be the ultimate police round.

People under the age of 40 laugh because they don’t remember a world where the police and self-defense markets weren’t totally dominated by semi-auto pistols. Older folks who remember seeing duty cops carrying revolvers tend to believe the .41 Magnum might have fulfilled its destiny had there not been a mass migration to semi-autos by police departments across America.
    I like the way they capture that era in Lethal Weapon.

Top Bottom