• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Just picked up some new hardware today...it is also my first American-made pistol!:patriot:

Never had a 40 S&W before. Anyone have preferences or advice on target ammo? Assuming that Hornady HP will work fine for SD.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It all depends on what YOUR pistols likes!!!

My first pistol was a CZ 40P... It ate everything I threw at it (all was FMJ).

My 2nd, a Kahr CW-40 was slightly more finicky. If I remember correctly, it didn't really like the aluminum or steel cased stuff.

And my 3rd .40 was a Walther P99...ate just about everything but, again, if I remember right, it didn't like the steel or aluminum either.

Never had any problems with any of the brass, though.

Look for Blazer Brass on sale. It tends to be the least expensive.

And if you have a lightweight pistol, MY experience is that the lighter bullet weights produced the most felt recoil. (155 gr was BRUTAL in my CW-40, 180gr was almost pleasant in comparison)

-J-

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're going to do shooting of any volume, look at the big commercial reloaders, such as:

Welcome to Precision Delta Corporations Official Site - these guys load for the best PPC shooter in the country
    georgiaarms.com: The Leading Gun Safety Site on the Net - famous for their canned heat 556NATO rifle ammo
    Atlanta Arms and Ammo - these guys load for the US Army Marksmanship Unit, Dave Sevigny and Taran Butler, among others

If you want to stick with an Indiana based company, check out Precision Cartridge, Inc. - Ammunition in 380, 9mm, 38, 357 Mag., 357 Sig., 10mm, 40 S&W, 41, 44, 45. I've shot plenty of their rifle and pistol ammo in the last several years and been happy every time.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Well, after seeing a 40s&w hydroshock strip its jacketing, and frag a bullet and not make it through anything more than a one gallon milk jug, I would highly recommend something that is bonded or solid copper hollow point. Also, depending the size and model of your pistol, you may need to look into running lower bullet weights to compensate for a shorter barreled gun

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ammo

For what it is worth I shoot Blazer Brass at 12.48 a box of 50 @Walmart all say long out of my M&P and other than it being a little dirty it functions flawlessly! My wife shoots the same out of her XD sub compact and she shoots about 400 rounds a setting at the range and has no trouble at all. Again it shoots a little dirty but our guns have never malfunctioned shooting it. I buy it 1000 rounds at a time!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Just picked up some new hardware today...it is also my first American-made pistol!:patriot:

Never had a 40 S&W before. Anyone have preferences or advice on target ammo? Assuming that Hornady HP will work fine for SD.
    For target I just use WWB, nice and cheap at Wally world. As for carry I use Gold Dot 40 s&w 180gr. gdhp. My normal carry is my Beretta 96d, although now I'll be mixing my makarov into the mix, although I'll probably carry both from now on the makarov will just be my fall-back if I get some stove pipe with the Beretta (haven't had it happen yet at the range like I have with my bersa 9 and .380, but ya never know).

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If you're going to do shooting of any volume, look at the big commercial reloaders, such as:

Welcome to Precision Delta Corporations Official Site - these guys load for the best PPC shooter in the country
    georgiaarms.com: The Leading Gun Safety Site on the Net - famous for their canned heat 556NATO rifle ammo
    Atlanta Arms and Ammo - these guys load for the US Army Marksmanship Unit, Dave Sevigny and Taran Butler, among others

If you want to stick with an Indiana based company, check out Precision Cartridge, Inc. - Ammunition in 380, 9mm, 38, 357 Mag., 357 Sig., 10mm, 40 S&W, 41, 44, 45. I've shot plenty of their rifle and pistol ammo in the last several years and been happy every time.
    You rock!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks, guys.

I saw WWB at Walmart, 100 rds for $28.44 -- not bad for the convenience of Walmart!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I have an XD 40 SC and an XD 40 Service. Both eat anything. Blazer Brass is the cheapest I have found. WWB, Hydrashocks, Rangers, you name it, it works. The only thing I don't like is the bulk 250rd box of whatever it was I bought at Dick's. It worked just fine, but it was the absolute nastiest, dirtiest ammo I have ever fired. It threw so much smoke and disgustingness I thought I was shooting a black powder handgun.

Top Bottom