• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remember, this is not a military set up. It is a group that is set up to use different skill sets to come together and prepare so that they have a better chance of coming out the other side whole...............

The group dynamic has to be nurtured and the folks involved have to be vetted. This is how we have approached our situation. We pray it never comes to us having to follow through on these plans. We use our time together on the property to bond and understand each other. Some of us are a bit more militant in belief and some are lean other way's but we all understand the need for diversity in skills, protection and just making things happen.
    The property owner does benefit in the long run but we have a place to go and enjoy. He (owner) is looking into a Wood-Mizer.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I've seen long term good friends have relationships strained/ended over situations of less stress. No one knows what people will do under these circumstances. I believe in another thread a while back this was discussed.

I like the idea, but do see issues with dynamics involved.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    Remember, this is not a military set up. It is a group that is set up to use different skill sets to come together and prepare so that they have a better chance of coming out the other side whole...............

What you are describing is true communism, while this sounds good and will work for a while it has been tried and won't last to long see
    New Harmony, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    What you are describing is true communism, while this sounds good and will work for a while it has been tried and won't last to long see
    New Harmony, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the surface it looks that way. However, look at it this way.

Family One -Family with a small business in the city with two younger kids live in the city and like to camp. No land and no family friends to bug out to. No time to maintain a second home

Family two suburban family - concerned preper, but the work situation keeps them from moving to a rural area. Both work and see a weakness in the back out plan. They don't want the kids to be harmed in a serious crisis.

Family Three - Apartment living concerned about a fall back site. They have some gear, no space to store much, and the apartment is not a good fall back location for more than a few days. A home is not an option, but would do more if they had a reliable site to fall back.

Family Four Rural, has some land, has some basic emergency supplies, decent location, but lacks manpower and other gear to maintain the site as a retreat. In need of like minded people, who see the need to team up.

After getting to know the others, the group decides to improve the location . Some gear and material is staged at the site, and periodically the groups gets together to go over ideas, work on site improvements and practice skills. The land owner helps protect the gear that is staged at the site.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'm actually a huge fan of this concept, and personally think that those who do this kind of set up will be second only to those actual communities that form up in successful survivability.

I am actively looking for this kind of scenario, and have a few irons in the fire in pursuit of that goal. It is all about the people and the location, you have to find the right ones. Which is easier said than done!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have my 100 acres what would be the purposes of more people

There is strength in numbers. There is strife in numbers. There is stress in numbers. I now refer to there is strength in numbers.

There are all of the above mentioned issues in every day life. No one person can do it all.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have my 100 acres what would be the purposes of more people
    Some one to stand guard while you sleep and help with the grunt work comes to mind. Also good to have someone you know and trust to guard your back when the looters come. And they WILL come. Won't take long b4 the takers in the inner cities and the low life white trash meth lab types figure out that there is a food cache at the end of every driveway.. :rolleyes:

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    More people is better...as long as they are the right people.

Unfortunately, you won't know if they are the right people until after the SHTF.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I think its a great idea still after seeing the thread again. But its hard to actually meet like minded individuals.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Would be a brilliant idea for a business or second BOL for an initiator.

Does not sound like something I'd be really interested in being a buy of. I'm sure there are lots of people who would be willing to buy it, just not my cup of tea.

People who want to get into this kind of contract might feel less inclined to improve/contribute as time goes on, they only want to have the 'insurance' and feel warm and fuzzy about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE have long used this model for our BOL. Life long friend owns the property and we have spent a lot of time and energy getting a group together. 4 groups or family's that share the same desire for survival. Our skill sets are varied and blend well together.
    Hope we never have to put our model to the real test.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    this is a great idea. the wife and I think there is safety in numbers. we have some things put away, food, ammo and the like, but we have no actual location to go to. we have discussed this with a few other people, and they also agree. however, they are not very prepared. meaning no food, ammo, etc. I am a maint. man at a furniture co. in jasper, with different skills. if anyone is interested in discussing this setup, please feel free to pm me. I greatly look foreword to hearing from you. thanks.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If this idea will work then I agree with it being put into writing from the beginning. Each group should have all of the same rights once they put in what the requirement is for membership into the group. I think also to work it has to be done with people you have known for years or through another person who you have known for years. These type of groups how ever innocent they are, are looked at as threats by dhs and the like. They pay informants and even have agents infiltrate them. While I'm sure no one was planning illegal activity, it would still suck to have all your supplies and equipment confiscated for the public good if shtf. Unless you have known someone for years and have never questioned their integrity then I would trust no one. Especially people I met through a meet up that was posted on an open gun board.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I have read several books about shtf from emp, to financial collapse and they all have the same problems, everyone wants to be chief. That I think would be the biggest problem I don't think our egos will as humans will allow us to live as a single unit with our rules/laws. However this rules/laws need to be something that is accepted by all "team" members and enforced by a elected team member. I know how it sounds, but what append when someone gets mad and desires to leave..... Then comes back with "thugs" to take over and destroy what everyone has worked to build..... Again just my 2cents

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have read several books about shtf from emp, to financial collapse and they all have the same problems, everyone wants to be chief. That I think would be the biggest problem I don't think our egos will as humans will allow us to live as a single unit with our rules/laws. However this rules/laws need to be something that is accepted by all "team" members and enforced by a elected team member. I know how it sounds, but what append when someone gets mad and desires to leave..... Then comes back with "thugs" to take over and destroy what everyone has worked to build..... Again just my 2cents

I don't think having one "chief" is a ba thing because you have to have a final decision maker who weighs others opinions then makes his best educated choice. If you put certain people over key jobs (security, medical, logistics, moral, ect) you will then have everyone staying busy and being a sort of leader they then report to the "cheif" or manager. Delegation.
    Being the head guy isn't what some people want.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    If these people are planning together, they are developing their relationships and sorting out their strengths/weaknesses. The plan seems like a good start; like all plans it will not survive intitial contact and will evolve, but it seems loose enough to be able to evlove. I like the fact that the men work together and most likely as accountants are budgeting and buying in bulk. They are at least planning.

North of Phoenix? WATER. Water is everything. From the most important- drinking- to washing yourself, clothes, sanitation, growing food and attracting game. Water is everything.

Top Bottom