• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have had since I turned 21 (thanks mom an dad!) a stainless Rossi M88 with the rubber grips. IT's the gun I will die on any hill for.... it's going to the grave with me. But Rossi never intended for these to run +P's hrough them. I've heard they can handle a few hear and there and if only used for carry rounds would be fine. But I'm not sure I'm willing to risk that.

So is there as JHP .38spl that doesn't suck for self defense? This is the firearm the wife is most comfortable with and would be her first choice in a bad situation, but it loaded with 158gr FMJ seems.... neglectful on my part. Do I just need to find someone to load me some decent rounds? I haven't found much not rated a +P or even +P+

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Lead Hollow Point, Semi Wadcutter, Wadcutter, Critical Defense would be my would be my choice in that order.

I'm not sure about expansion with a jacketed hollow point at 38 special velocities.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I remember pure lead rounds caused some issues in these IIRC.
    Hmm, I'm not sure why it would cause anymore issue than lead bullets through any other pistol. Just have to clean it good if it starts to lead up the barrel.

It would take quite a few rounds to show up. How many rounds get put through it?

Reactions: Mij

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Standard pressure .38 won't expand a JHP and get decent penetration. Run wadcutters, FMJ, or Hornady XTP that doesn't actually expand in practice.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Hmm, I'm not sure why it would cause anymore issue than lead bullets through any other pistol. Just have to clean it good if it starts to lead up the barrel.

It would take quite a few rounds to show up. How many rounds get put through it?
    Not many. Its mostly a safe queen but the wife does spend more time at home alone with my racing season going on and is comfortable with it. Total, it's seen 500-1000 rounds since 1996. So it's pretty clean etc. Always cleaned after every shoot and oiled and lubed when sitting.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not many. Its mostly a safe queen but the wife does spend more time at home alone with my racing season going on and is comfortable with it. Total, it's seen 500-1000 rounds since 1996. So it's pretty clean etc. Always cleaned after every shoot and oiled and lubed when sitting.
    I think you would be fine using a lead bullet. I can't think of anything it could do besides lead up the barrel and that's easy to take care of

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm pretty sure BBI would suggest full wadcutters. Lower recoil but still give pretty decent performance.

You'd be correct, especially since the OP has clarified it's a 2" barrel. Wadcutters would be my recommendation. Standard pressure .38 is generally not a reliable and robust expander and shorter barrels exacerbate that so you end up with pricier ball. WC are light recoil, they do not skip off round bone nearly as readily as ball, and they cut intsead of push their way through the gibbly bits they hit. The sole reason I don't carry wadcutters in my LCR is employer policy, so I use +P JHP instead, understanding the limitations thereof.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As a revolver guy from the 80’s. Your best non plus P (which with anything under 4” plus p or JHP is not worth the blast) like others I’d go with The standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense in the 110 gr. Full wadcutter of some variety or 130 grain Ball. The 130 FMJ Ball in 38 is very unlikely to exit and it will yaw causing somewhat of a temp cavity. Lots of bad guys were out in the ground by coppers in the 40’ 50’s 60’s and 70’s with 38 and ball or wadcutters

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I remember reading the British colonial police in Asia used a 200gr bullet in their 38 S&W cartridge and they said it preformed well. It was around 550-600 fps from a 4" barrel.
    It was in a old book I had that got lost in a move. I really miss that old book.
    38 S&W has a diameter of .360-.362

I've tried to find a 200gr bullet in .357 or .358 and load data over the years. I just can't find that combination.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I remember reading the British colonial police in Asia used a 200gr bullet in their 38 S&W cartridge and they said it preformed well. It was around 550-600 fps from a 4" barrel.
    It was in a old book I had that got lost in a move. I really miss that old book.
    38 S&W has a diameter of .360-.362

I've tried to find a 200gr bullet in .357 or .358 and load data over the years. I just can't find that combination.
    There is a 200 grain full wadcutter 38 special called Lincoln Logs that was popular in Bowling Pin matches back in the day. There are a couple guys still running them. So those are still around but not sure about any factory offering especially in a still recovering from pandemic BS market we are in

Top Bottom