• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of variables here.

One is technique as people have mentioned. Many people have difficulty working slides because of poor technique. Here's an article that might help - https://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

With respect to racking the slide on 380 handguns, there's a world of difference between the tiny models, like the Kel-Tec P3AT and larger 380s (Beretta, CZ, SIG, etc). In general, there's an inverse relationship between the weight of the slide and the strength of the recoil spring. So, tiny 380 pistols are harder to rack. Add to this that the tiny slides are harder to grasp, and it can cause issues for some folks.

OP, why a 380? Is it because she wants a tiny gun or is she concerned about recoil, or both?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I will only flame you because of your mentioning females. A male can just as easily have problems running a slide. But I get your point. A Medium sized 9mm service pistol holds 15 rounds. That is 3 times the capacity of a small revolver and double the capacity of most .380s. Short of clearing a malfunction there is not much reloading.

I would rather have a quality 9 shot .22 revolver then a pocket .380. You guys want something to flame, I just lit the match.

I realize that, but since this thread was about a female wanting a gun, I mentioned females. :)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have a dear aunt who wants to purchase a 380. She is having a difficult time pulling the slide, on most, if not all. Any recommendations or tips I could pass along to help her?
    Well, I would try to find a "larger" locked breech .380, and avoid the blowback operation. Generally, the .380 Auto handgun was of the blowback type, with a heavier recoil spring, making it a little harder to pull the slide to rack a round into the chamber. In most recent years though, a lot more locked breech designs have come on line...these are generally a little easier to rack a round into the chamber, unless they are really small in size.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well, I would try to find a "larger" locked breech .380, and avoid the blowback operation. Generally, the .380 Auto handgun was of the blowback type, with a heavier recoil spring, making it a little harder to pull the slide to rack a round into the chamber. In most recent years though, a lot more locked breech designs have come on line...these are generally a little easier to rack a round into the chamber, unless they are really small in size.

Bingo! Exactly. The OP has the choice of the Sig P238, Walther PK380, or Glock 42. All of these shoot good. Of those the P238 is IMO too small take take advantage of an already puny cartridge and really only a good choice as a BUG or deep concealment gun for people comfortable with 1911 style guns. The PK380 has that slide mounted safety, no decocker and no slide stop. It comes with one overpriced magazine. I got to handle two new production PK380s yesterday on the range. The quality of both guns has gone downhill. This leaves the Glock 42. Glock 42 is currently the only .380 I will recommend. It is large enough to hold, fires from a locked breech, has decent sights, has a decent trigger, has a slide lock, has available holsters, has a barrel of 3.25". The gun has the ability to actually fight above its weight class.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I got a used G42 about 2 weeks ago and have a few hundred rounds on the range with it now. Shoots great, very little kick at all.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    If you're still looking over .380's, I would definitely recommend you have her try out a Sig P238. There are other good .380's out there. But for someone having trouble with racking the slide, the P238 is hard to beat. My mother had the same problem. She isn't the Spring chicken she once was and lacks the strength she once had when she was younger and busting our butts for getting into trouble. And to top it off, she fell and broke her arm around the wrist and had to have surgery and a plate installed. We were at the 2015 NRA Show in Nashville and my daughter wanted a P238 and just had to show ol' g'ma. Mom picked it up to look at it and was surprised that she could actually operate it with no trouble. We also tried the P938 which is the 9mm version. But she wasn;t able to operate it. Of course we tried a whole lot of others too, including the Walther CCP. I really thought the CCP would be easy for her but it wasn't. In the end, she bought a P238.

The .380 is smaller cartridge. But in the end, it goes bang, makes a hole and is just as capable of making someone on the receiving end have a real bad day. You just really need to do your homework when choosing a good round for this caliber. As mentioned previously by others, the stuff that yields the best results in 9 mm, .40 cal and .45 cal may not yield the same results in .380. The Hornady XTP bullets and Speer Gold Dots do tend to perform best in the .380. But good luck finding the Gold Dots. I picked up some Hornady American Gunner rounds at Cabela's for a pretty decent price. They have the XTP bullet in a brass casing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I still suggest that they avoid the revolvers because they are difficult to shoot accurately for nearly all new shooters.

Head up to Sand Burr Gun Ranch and you'll see noobs hitting a 75y steel at the end of their first day.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Head up to Sand Burr Gun Ranch and you'll see noobs hitting a 75y steel at the end of their first day.

My guess are those are people paying good, hard earned money to learn to shoot revolvers. Plus the gun has probably been sweetened up a bit. So motivated and proper mindset. Not really the same as snookums relunctantig showing up with their leopard print charter arms that pappy thought they needed for their birthday. But to your point snubs are mechanically very accurate. With a 642 I can easily put shots on a Q target at 35-40 yards with mine and have hit IPSC sized steel at 60. Never tried any farther.

typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    Technique. I've showed this to a couple of our female friends who had trouble racking a semi-auto slide. Rather than pulling the slide backwards, simply hold the slide with the weak hand and push the frame forward with the strong hand. They found it much easier.

+1 ... my dad was unable to pull the slide on his lcp and was frustrated. This technique changed his whole perspective. Push rather than pull, but remember to keep away from pinch points when releasing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My guess are those are people paying good, hard earned money to learn to shoot revolvers. Plus the gun has probably been sweetened up a bit. So motivated and proper mindset. Not really the same as snookums relunctantig showing up with their leopard print charter arms that pappy thought they needed for their birthday. But to your point snubs are mechanically very accurate. With a 642 I can easily put shots on a Q target at 35-40 yards with mine and have hit IPSC sized steel at 60. Never tried any farther.

I suspect it's the revolver specific class showing proper grip and trigger manipulation that is customized for revolvers instead of one-size fits all that isn't. I don't grip a revolver like I do a magazine fed pistol, and if I use a revolver grip on a Glock or a Glock grip on a revolver the results are sub-par. Revolvers are no harder to shoot than comparable semi-autos of the same size, sight set up, etc. I believe this to be the same as DA/SA guns and the "difficulty" of the DA pull or the transition. When people don't know its supposed to be hard and the instructor provides training and drills specific to the weapon's characteristics, it's not as tough as some appear to believe.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I suspect it's the revolver specific class showing proper grip and trigger manipulation that is customized for revolvers instead of one-size fits all that isn't. I don't grip a revolver like I do a magazine fed pistol, and if I use a revolver grip on a Glock or a Glock grip on a revolver the results are sub-par. Revolvers are no harder to shoot than comparable semi-autos of the same size, sight set up, etc. I believe this to be the same as DA/SA guns and the "difficulty" of the DA pull or the transition. When people don't know its supposed to be hard and the instructor provides training and drills specific to the weapon's characteristics, it's not as tough as some appear to believe.

I agree. Revolvers are no more difficult to shoot when compared to a similar sized semi auto. The problem is revolver has become synonymous with 5 shot snubs similar to .380 has become synonymous with little pocket guns like the LCP. My opinion and only an opinion is that the 5 shot J frame is still the best compromise between small size and power. Though the small single stack 9mm has come a long ways in the last 5 years.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I am super pumped. Got to work with a couple of great ladies today. Both brought .380s and one of them actually made it without any malfunctions! Drum roll please.........

Glock 42!!!!

The LCP did not fair so well. In fact the young lady was asking about trading it in before the first shot was fired. Silly thing was so small it was hard to handle. Just nothing to grab onto.

The Glock 42 on the other hand was small but still big enough to manipulate. Light recoil, accurate. Nice little gun.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    .380 Bersa Thunder. Carefully cock the hammer before pulling back the slide. Works just fine. Personal experience.

Edited to add: I also wear golf gloves when shooting, and these give be a better grip when pulling the slide back
    on any s-a pistol.

Last edited:

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    At least look into the Walther PK380. Not the smallest 380 out there by any stretch of the imagination, but the slide is a breeze to move and the trigger is reasonable, unlike many of the smaller 380s with heavy triggers and/or heavy slides. Because of its size, it's not snappy either--should work well in older hands. Several of the older folks I know also like external thumb safeties, which this one does have.

Agree. May not be the ideal size, but super easy to manipulate.

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    Good read. We're still on the hunt for her. Thanks for all the input.

On a side note: we did get out and shoot Glocks 42, 43, 19, & 17. I also let her go on a 38spcl revolver, and a 1911. She liked the .45.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good read. We're still on the hunt for her. Thanks for all the input.

On a side note: we did get out and shoot Glocks 42, 43, 19, & 17. I also let her go on a 38spcl revolver, and a 1911. She liked the .45.

Most people would be surprised how many ladies enjoy the full sized pistols after shooting them. It really is time to stop with all the "ladies gun" stuff.

Top Bottom