• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I did, and while well done, humans aren't gello and can't be calibrated. I still trust OIS reports and such. I can fire into gello, denimed or not, but still doesn't dispel the fact, researched in ACTUAL shootings that while they CAN expand, they can't expand RELIABLY in real shootings.

That being said, I still think .380, whatever is carried, is still MUCH better than a sharp stick, evil eye or harsh language.
    Fair enough. I agree with your last sentence. Those who disparage "small calibers" intrigue me. I never see any of them volunteering to be shot by them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Fair enough. I agree with your last sentence. Those who disparage "small calibers" intrigue me. I never see any of them volunteering to be shot by them.

No doubt! .32 ACP was killing hundreds and thousands during Europe's internecine wars and not just executions, yet, they are a "mouse gun" b/c they can't stop a raging rhino.

More elegant weapons from a more civilized age...

Cecuda73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    NWI
    You can't go wrong with a sig 380, weather it's the p238 (mini 1911) or the p232(James Bond style ppk look) they are the cats ass. I prefer my p232 for a backup. I also like my s&w bodygaurd just fine too. I had a kel tec and the Tarus tcp both not very reliable and horrible sights on them.

Cecuda73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    NWI
    The sig p238 and the p232 are the cats ass . I like my s&w bodygaurd just fine too. I had a kel tec and a Taurus tcp 380 very unreliable and horrible sights as well

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The argument of XTP VS Gold Dot, ect. is a very valid one. For quite some time I have carried the XTP in my 380s because of the bullets design limits(or controls) expansion, and thus improves penetration. I have seen the many videos that prove the XTP is superior to the other designs because of this feature of the bullet, BUT even with the limited penetration of the gold dot bullets, they still have respectable penetration for what they are. No, it doesnt quite make FBI procol for a duty round, but we arent talking about a 357 Sig, or 45. If I run across a good deal on Gold Dots, I do not feel that they will limit my ability to break contact, or even stop an attack if needs be, and will carry them if that is what I have available. I have ran my own expansion testing at home (by NO means scientific, or standardized) and have found that the little .380 gold dots, and XTPs do expand as designed out of the little pocket guns. The 38 Special, on the other hand, tends to do nothing more than deform the nose when fired from a short barrel. The only exception I have found to this is the Remington SJHP +p loads. Those open up like any other bullet fired out of a longer barrel. My findings at home, with factory or hand loaded ammo, (and yes, I verified velicity over a chronograph, just to make sure that velocities were known) a snub nose 38 is approximately the equal in energy as the 380. in a mouse gun. Start changing barrel lengths and all bets are of, as the 38 starts to stretch its legs with even an extra 1" to burn its powder.

The biggest thing that we need to remember, when the performance between 2 calibers (.380 vs 38 Special) is as close as they are for a given set of parameters, shot placement is much more important than splitting hairs over what one does what in gelatin. I shoot my J frames better than my LCP, so I tend to carry the revolver more often than not. Sometimes the LCP is just easier to keep hidden, and as such, it will go with me when nothing else is practical. Neither would be my first choice to use in a meth house raid, but for the off chance that I need to defend my life, or my love ones, I have no issues with either in their ability to do what I ask of them.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    No one is going to argue that the 380 should be ones first choice in a defensive caliber. In my opinion, these pocket 380s are designed to be carried when you don't want carry a gun. Thus, providing some level of self protection. I feel confident in my ability to defend myself with my LCP in my pocket, but then again, I don't go looking for trouble.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I've carried a few .380's, and the biggest advantage that I found, was the overall size of the weapon. They are generally considered pocket pistols(though there are some of the larger frame). If you want to be able to defend yourself, but are concerned with printing, showing, etc, then I would recommend a well built .380(preferable not a stock LCP).

All that being said, there are reliable, well built, comparably priced 9mm and higher, that would be larger, and pack a heavier punch. It all comes down to your own personal situation. Each is different, and each calls for a different solution.

Just my thoughts.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I very much consider my lowly .380 chambered items to be guns. :):

On another note, in all of this back and forth on this forum and others, I have yet to see anyone cite a case where someone was shot with a .380 and still lived to do harm to the victim. I'm sure it exists, as I'm sure it does for all calibers, but I don't see enough evidence that this is a regular enough occurrence to merit the arguments. Does such data exist?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I had an LCP. It was extremely easy to carry. The sights and trigger sucked though, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I got rid of the LCP and now have a Sig P238. I was shooting this one at 25 yds today and put them all in the 8 ring. I am not the greatest target shooter, so that's excellent accuracy for me.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    If you want a deep conceal I suggest looking at the LCP380. I ride motorcycles and its one of the few guns that you can not see when i'm hunched over. Worth a look at least. Good luck.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I spent nearly all day today trying to find some .380 ammo! :xmad:

Found 380s at Highsmith today :):)

fan. tastic!
    I was there the day before and they had none.
    said they didnt know when they would get any either!
    pffft.
    oh well...win some lose some.
    an awesome fellow INGO'er is gonna hook me up in the next couple of days!
    :rockwoot:

Top Bottom