• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I want to get a barrel for my Thompson Encore to hunt deer. The above seem to be the most popular choices so the field is narrowed to two.

I am hesitant to pick the .358 because I do not handload (yet) and would have to rely on someone else's load. I do not see it sold anywhere as an assembled cartridge.

The .458 is commercially available which makes me more comfortable with it.

Is there any real reason to choose one over the other?

Thank you,

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I sell both, but at least 10-1 more 358's due to the extended range and accuracy potential.

The 458 is a lot more friendly when using the 458 BFG rimmed cases in an Encore for easier extraction. Although, if you don't mind picking the SOCOM brass out with your fingernail - it isn't an issue.

Let me know if I can be of assistance,

Bryan

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I sell both, but at least 10-1 more 358's due to the extended range and accuracy potential.

At what ranges are people actually shooting?

The 458 is a lot more friendly when using the 458 BFG rimmed cases in an Encore for easier extraction.

Do you sell loaded cartridges? I did look at your website and only saw components to handload.

Let me know if I can be of assistance,

Bryan

Have any of either barrels in stock? :D

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Have you considered a 500 S&W barrel? I hunt with a .458 AR and love it but I also hunt with a 500 S&W with an 8 3/8" barrel they both reach out far enough for Indiana.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    At what ranges are people actually shooting?

Based on feedback this season, 35-280 yards with the 358, 50-175 with the 458.

Do you sell loaded cartridges? I did look at your website and only saw components to handload.

I have some difficulty keeping up with the demand for brass, let alone get enough built up for surplus to provide them to a commercial loader.

I don't see it happening any time soon.

Have any of either barrels in stock? :D

The 358's are generally sold before they arrive, the next order should be done in 4-5 weeks or thereabouts.

I greatly prefer to build things to order than to have barrels around that aren't exactly what the customer wants - although I generally build a few extra with each production run based on the most popular customer order.

I've got a stainless 458 barrel here that was used for velocity testing, I believe it is 22", 1/14 twist, 40 rounds or less fired. Used to compare velocity to 16-18" AR-15's and other shorter Encore barrels. It is $375 on the website, including a matching stainless scope mount.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I've been thinking about getting a 458 Socom upper for one of my AR's for this deer season myself. It's getting popular around here!

Acme Sports in Seymour got 18 .458 SOCOM AR-15 uppers in on Monday, and were down to 6 left two days later on Wednesday. They may be sold out now for all I know.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Acme Sports in Seymour got 18 .458 SOCOM AR-15 uppers in on Monday, and were down to 6 left two days later on Wednesday. They may be sold out now for all I know.

I keep hearing good things about Acme Sports. I need to make a trip there to check it out, they are only about an Hour and 15 minutes from me.

2nthechest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I wish I could talk someone into building me a 500 S&W upper for my AR. Not sure if you would be able to use an AR15 platform or if you would need more like an AR10 platform. I should test the ammo in a mag and see what happens. May be an interesting outcome.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I wish I could talk someone into building me a 500 S&W upper for my AR. Not sure if you would be able to use an AR15 platform or if you would need more like an AR10 platform. I should test the ammo in a mag and see what happens. May be an interesting outcome.

Obviously the length would work in a standard AR-15 platform. The problem arises in the fact that the .500 S&W is a rimmed cartridge. Tony Rumore built something like a half dozen prototype AR-15 uppers years ago chambered in .44 Magnum, but never could get them to feed quite right and dropped the project.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I hunt with a .500 out of a handi rifle...with that big of shot you only need one...

that old saying is true in this case, " Fear the man with a single shot rifle, because he only needs one shot"
    ablibbing here of course but it is true

Top Bottom