• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I dropped an pretty nice 8pt in 1995 with a 125gr JHP at about 15 yards. My meeting it at that distance on foot was pure luck and just happened but I wasn't complaining since hunting was my secondary task that day. All I had was a 4" S&W 686. The 357 works well but like any caliber with a deer we have all heard them not stopping after pretty good hits with about everything. So I could shoot the same size deer with the same round and he could run a few steps or yards. You never know with a deer, they can be dead and not know it for a couple hundred yards..

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I got a doe on opening day with my Ruger GP100 6". I was shooting buffalo bore 180gn round nose lead. Went right through like a laser beam, but the shot was good and the doe went down.

Next time I will try it with some 180gn XTP bullets that I loaded over 12.4 grains of 2400 to see if that transfers more energy to the animal. I too carry a long gun for the longer shots, and the revolver comes out when they get to 25 yards. I could make a longer shot, but don't feel the need to push my luck.

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    My son and I use a cast 180gr WFN bullet and have taken several with the combo out of both a Marlin and a Smith Model 28. so far none have traveled more than 50 yards.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    About 5 years ago I stepped about 10 yds. away from my slug gun (stupid). A doe came down this path near me, passed me, and then along came another. I pulled a 6" Colt Trooper .357 out of my Carrharts and dropped it at about 15 yds. I must have hit the spine because it's the only deer I have dropped on the spot. The bullet was .357 158 grain soft point. Don't remember the manufacturer but probably Hornady.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    From a rifle, a hot .357 mag (read: buffalo bore Deer Grenade) is MORE than enough. It's about the same as a 30-30, only a bigger, more devastating bullet.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    A co workers daughter dropped a decent sized buck this year at 40 yards with a .357 rifle, using a 125 gr hollow point. The shot was less than perfect, the deer only went a few yards, and died. From everything I have read, I would have thought this impossible, but as they say, the proof is in the venison.

I wouldnt rely on the .357 for longer than 30-40 yards in a handgun, and would certainly stick with the heavier (158+) bullets, but wouldnt hesitate to take a deer with my SW 66, in the right situations. As a matter of fact, I have a SBH (44 Mag) and a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt that I could take to the woods as a side arm for deer, but the 357 was the one that was my constant companion this year, just in case the right situation popped up.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My favorite round for deer is 180 grain cast Buffalo Bore from a 4" barrel! It'll do the trick...no problem! I would like to get an H&R in .357 Mag...for the purchase of being able to reach out a little farther (increase my range)...but have no desire to move up to the .44 mag round!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A .357 will work, but a 44mag will kill more quickly. Generally speaking. I kinda enjoy tracking a deer, but not for long distances. So I don't like to take any chances. 240 grain 44mag works very nicely.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    All purple aside, I think 357 is marginal due to the hole size, When things don't go exactly right then you get to track a wounded animal. and when it comes to that a bigger hole will dump more blood. Thats simple.

No 2 deer hits are ever the same. It's a complex equation and Accuracy is the #1 factor, Slipping a bullet in where it needs to be is the top priority, but the best plans go bad, assuming you had enough power to go through both sides a nice big hole for stuff to fall out of is the key to finding the game

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I would try a WTB add on graybeard or specialty pistol if you are a member. No supplier I know of has any in stock until hornady catches up nobody is going to have any if I run across some I will PM you

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO, you want to wheelgun deer? Get a .44 mag.
    Even then, don't expect magical results.

Like somebody else eluded to.............killing 'em is one thing. Finding 'em might well be another.

Bigger holes help (esp if they go through).

Top Bottom