• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I am looking to place an order for some .357 Mag bullets. The purpose of the bullets is plinking at an indoor gun range. Regrettably this gun range does not allow lead bullets -- thus I ask for any bullet expect lead bullets. Something that is economical in price is the best.

Direct links to online sellers buying would be most helpful.

Thank you ahead of time for your suggestions.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I might look into Xtreme plated. Stick with fast powder and a taper crimp would be better than a roll.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I buy bulk Remington and Winchester jhp bullets when they are on sale at all the places that sell them. Midwayusa is one such place. There are others.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I might look into Xtreme plated. Stick with fast powder and a taper crimp would be better than a roll.
    I will third looking at X-treme. I like them a lot better than any other plated bullets including Berry's. Great prices and very good plated bullets. These are all I buy now that things have settled and to their credit they even were able to keep themselves to the shortest back order time of all the places I was looking get bullets. I like to use the 148 DSWC they have and load them into .357 cases to plink with out of my 357 chambered revolvers on top of a charge of CFE. The combo almost leaves me with a gun that doesn't need to be cleaned. :):

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I will third looking at X-treme. I like them a lot better than any other plated bullets including Berry's. Great prices and very good plated bullets. These are all I buy now that things have settled and to their credit they even were able to keep themselves to the shortest back order time of all the places I was looking get bullets. I like to use the 148 DSWC they have and load them into .357 cases to plink with out of my 357 chambered revolvers on top of a charge of CFE. The combo almost leaves me with a gun that doesn't need to be cleaned. :):

What type of bullet is dswc?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    What type of bullet is dswc?
    Yeah, my bad but I meant a DEWC or Double Ended Wad Cutter. :)

X-Treme has a plated one, completely covered, so if you shoot indoors at a range that says no lead due to the fumes, these are perfect. They shoot really well to boot. Here is a link to direct to the page. 38- 148 WC
    main.php

I load them to the canelure nearest the top of the bullet as they are inserted. I use Bullseye now but want to try CFE Pistol. Not that these leave a lot of copper fouling because they don't. Just because it is a new powder amd if it does what it says it will w/o effecting accuracy then it may become my ALL handgun powder for basic target loads.

Last edited:

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    If cost rather than accuracy is the requirement, then X-treme or other plated bullets.148gn wadcutters are fun and can be very accurate, but I couldn't get under 6" at 25 yards with any plated wadcutter or SWC.Can you use coated lead bullets?For accuracy, try Zero jacketed. 158gn JHP $108/1000 or 130gn FMJ for $100/1000--in stock now. Cheaper if you order 2000 or more. Not as cheap as plated from X-treme, but extremely accurate.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    DSWC is almost certainly a typo for DEWC--a double-ended wadcutter.
    I would order Zero bullets from Roze or Powder Valley. Much more accurate and not that much more money. Roze has 158gn JHP and 130gn FMJ in stock.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Yeah, my bad but I meant a DEWC or Double Ended Wad Cutter. :)

X-Treme has a plated one, completely covered, so if you shoot indoors at a range that says no lead due to the fumes, these are perfect. They shoot really well to boot. Here is a link to direct to the page. 38- 148 WC
    main.php

I load them to the canelure nearest the top of the bullet as they are inserted. I use Bullseye now but want to try CFE Pistol. Not that these leave a lot of copper fouling because they don't. Just because it is a new powder amd if it does what it says it will w/o effecting accuracy then it may become my ALL handgun powder for basic target loads.

I thought that is what you meant. I bought some of these the other weekend at the gun show. I'll need to look into how the reloading process would be.

Do you know the col of the ammo for this type of bullet?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The COL winds up being the length of the case plus the little bit above the cannelure. I don't have anything exactly to hand. You push the bullet nearly all the way into the case with a tiny slice of the bullet protruding. These make perfect holes, like a paper punch, in the target so you can see where you're hitting easily.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    The COL winds up being the length of the case plus the little bit above the cannelure. I don't have anything exactly to hand. You push the bullet nearly all the way into the case with a tiny slice of the bullet protruding. These make perfect holes, like a paper punch, in the target so you can see where you're hitting easily.

Would you use H110 with this type of bullet?

I also have Titegroup and thought that would be good to use as well.

Top Bottom