• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Die is adjusted wrong or....wait for it.....

ONE SHOT! spray lube?

Is this your first time sizing bottlenecked rifle cases? Since you mentioned a shell plate, is this on a Dillon press or Hornady LNL?

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Dillon using Lyman spray lube and the dies is not adjusted wrong. It sits less that 1/16 off the shell plate. It's been that distance when I've reloaded 5.56 and other .308. Did I mention this is 1st shot mil brass

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    1St problem I see is the spray lube, Ive never had good luck with it.
    Do you have a single stage press? When I load 223 on my 550 (havent done 308 or 30-06 yet) I size de-prime on the the Rockchucker, leaveing the first spot empty just using it to prime

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    I'll try a different case lube. These cases seem like they are way to big. Almost guessing it's machine gun brass. I'm running my Dillon as a single stage it's a 550b

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I've never had a problem using spray lube on rifle cases. I used to use the Dillon case lube but I make my own now.
    Are you giving plenty of time for the lube carrier to evaporate and leave the lube behind?
    I use fuel tank/ line dryer and liquid lanolin. Go light on spraying the neck or give it a quick wipe.
    I also give the inside of the sizing die a quick spray of One Shot before I start running cases.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've ripped about 8 out of 9 case rims off some of the cases won't even fit. I use case lube all she'll plates and dies are correct.

Could you elaborate on the statement that some of the cases won't even fit? My first instinct says it's a lube problem, but this statement has me curious. I don't mean to insult you, but are you positive that you have 308 cases?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Good call.

I know I have read of others using petroleum products for lube, but I have never tried it and didn't want to suggest it without knowing more.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I've never had a problem using spray lube on rifle cases. I used to use the Dillon case lube but I make my own now.
    Are you giving plenty of time for the lube carrier to evaporate and leave the lube behind?
    I use fuel tank/ line dryer and liquid lanolin. Go light on spraying the neck or give it a quick wipe.
    I also give the inside of the sizing die a quick spray of One Shot before I start running cases.

This is exactly what I do, I've used this method for thousands of rounds. Not one stuck case or any problems.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The modern military uses .308 in machine guns. Almost exclusively. Once fired .308 brass out of a machine gun is ballooned out to fit that huge chamber, sometimes enough that the base will not enter the shell plate. It usually does not bode well for the primer being snug since the base is expanded so much. I tried some recent once fired and I ended up scrapping most of it. Total waste of time and money.

Use of lots of lube is mandatory and don't be afraid to run the case through the FL sizing die more than once. 1/4 turn of the brass for each pull of the handle.

Top Bottom