• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    New to the forum.

Have been working on accuracy loads for an AR-10(T) and wanted to ask what folks have been able to achieve. Best group to date is 0.262" - 5 shot at 100 yds.. Not real great, but it is now consistent..

Comments?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    :welcome:
    I'm not a precision shooter, but from what I hear, just over quarter minute is pretty good, especially with a semi-auto.
    I am interested, though, in what you can do. I've got a .308 on my list of rifles to buy.

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Yes, center to center is correct.

I spent a tremendous amount of time on this one. First, you may need to stiffen the joint. I used the accu-wedge, which I am not convinced helps that much. But it can't hurt, right?

Second the rifle has enough recoil that it can play all kinds of games on the bench. using a standard stock (better with a bag) I decided to fill it with lead shot. The rifle is heavy now.... like over 10 lbs. It still requires very precise bench ettiquete, but seems much more repeatable.

Lastly, load development was time consuming. I read an article on a match once where almost everyone in the final round was shooting IMR 4895. I tried it and the groups tightened up significantly. Since then, I have had two friends who experienced the same thing in bolt guns. One guy shot a ragged hole, which he now carries around in his pocket.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    Ive been reading on snipers hide for WEEKS!!! and havent had to start over. there is so much god stuff over there.

oh yeah welcome to ingo.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I'm not sure about taboo, as I don't see it too often, but I'm sure it happens a lot in the Ammo/Accessories forum. Wilkommen to INGO!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Accurate 308 loads have pretty much been set in stone and published for many years. It is hard to get into trouble with the 308. 4895, 4064, RE15, Varget are all good powders. 168 Sierra is the gold standard and was designed for 300 meter International competition.

1/4 MOA is GREAT shooting for 100 yards. The trick is keeping it that tight at 300 yards consistantly.

Does that AR10(T) have a 10 or 12 twist?

Welcome to the forum.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If your squeezing 1/4 moa at 100 with your AR10T consider yourself a very lucky man. Investing the time into squeezing anything smaller out of that gun may be futile. At this point you may want to look for a great bolt action or just continue to shoot the 10T till you burn out the barrel. At that point you could go with a Rock Barrel and matched bolt and see where the accuracy goes from there.

Round count and load being used?

Also, I'm assuming you have the factory tube on it. Is it the older CM, newer SS or the no longer available factory option LW?

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    If your squeezing 1/4 moa at 100 with your AR10T consider yourself a very lucky man. Investing the time into squeezing anything smaller out of that gun may be futile. At this point you may want to look for a great bolt action or just continue to shoot the 10T till you burn out the barrel. At that point you could go with a Rock Barrel and matched bolt and see where the accuracy goes from there.

I honestly agree. See what that groups at 300 yards, and if it's anywhere close to 1/4 MOA, you're done.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Another thing to consider is your shooting ability. If all you've ever done is shoot at 100 yards then the jump to 200, 300 and 400 will be a great learning oppertunity for you. Your shooting skill will play a greater role in keeping those groups that small out at further distances.

If you want a bench gun that shoots tiny one hole groups at 100 yards teh AR10T isnt it. It's a tactical gun whose cartridge will become challenged the further out you get in distance.

my opinion, skip the reloading bench... the gun has proven itself as a 1/4" operator. Start getting more distance between you and the target and see where your skill level is at.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    New to the forum.

Have been working on accuracy loads for an AR-10(T) and wanted to ask what folks have been able to achieve. Best group to date is 0.262" - 5 shot at 100 yds.. Not real great, but it is now consistent..

Comments?

Not real great? Dude, in a scale of poor-to-superb, that is ungodly. And do that consistently? I'd like to be next in line after Phylodog.

Top Bottom