• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    Do the RCBS dies slightly expand the rim to help accept the bullet, or do I need to purchase another die to help expand this (maybe the Lyman)?

Was somewhat foolish and "had" to purchase a 1986 336AS and now am struggling to locate ammo...shocking, I know.

Figure for what I would spend on 20 rounds, I can put toward a set of dies to begin with and then slowly collect components here and there.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    The RCBS sizing die will do all you need unless you are shooting soft lead cast bullets.

Good luck finding dies or components!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've never had a die that expanded the mouth of a bottle-neck rifle case. What you need is a chamfer tool...I think I got mine for like $1.50 from midway. It just cuts a light chamfer in the case mouth to ease bullet seating. If I can find boat tail projectiles I usually don't even bother, but for flat base bullets,it does help, and keeps the brass from cutting into the jacket.

What you're looking for is something like this (but holy cow they've gone up in price!): Amazon product ASIN B0014136PA
    And for the record, buying an old 336 is never a "foolish" decision ;). We need some pics of that rifle!

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    The neck will be sized both internally and externally. Most dies will be set to slightly flare the mouth to easy bullet placement and reduce any scalloping. the next step push the brass back in, and apply any desired crimp.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    Do the RCBS dies slightly expand the rim to help accept the bullet, or do I need to purchase another die to help expand this (maybe the Lyman)?

Was somewhat foolish and "had" to purchase a 1986 336AS and now am struggling to locate ammo...shocking, I know.

Figure for what I would spend on 20 rounds, I can put toward a set of dies to begin with and then slowly collect components here and there.
    Usually, the powder funnel die flares the mouth if memory serves. I am assuming that you’re loading cast bullets because if you’re loading jacketed bullets, you do not need to flare the case.

Good luck and have fun!

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    My rcbs dies do not expand the case mouth. Yes to the lyman M die. When SNS coated 30-30, 158 gr RNFP, 250 packs, come back in stock, you will be able to shoot a lot for not much money. You will need to expand the case mouth for cast or coated. Otherwise you will shave your bullet. Used dies frequently show up on castboolits.com for not too much. Enjoy.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I've never had a die that expanded the mouth of a bottle-neck rifle case. What you need is a chamfer tool...I think I got mine for like $1.50 from midway. It just cuts a light chamfer in the case mouth to ease bullet seating. If I can find boat tail projectiles I usually don't even bother, but for flat base bullets,it does help, and keeps the brass from cutting into the jacket.

What you're looking for is something like this (but holy cow they've gone up in price!): Amazon product ASIN B0014136PA
    And for the record, buying an old 336 is never a "foolish" decision ;). We need some pics of that rifle!
    "I've never had a die that expanded"
    ^^^Be careful using the word "Never"
    Not to Flame a Newer INGO member, but be careful on posting false information...
    Two die Rifle die sets expand as the de-cap rod leaves the case.
    On the downstroke of the press handle, the outside of the case is sized down and the neck is compressed together (Toward the de-cap rod). On the upstroke the case is removed from the die, being EXPANDED by the expander (Ball) on the end of the de-cap rod. This is the case on most all bottle-neck Rifle calibers.
    A little "trick" to adding to your case neck tension is to sand down (SLIGHTLY) the expander ball. Most expander balls will produce 0.001" to 0.0015" difference between your bullet diameter and your inside case neck diameter.
    In other words, if your bullet diameter is 0.308" (Use your Mic.=they DO vary), your expander ball should mic around 0.3065" to 0.307".

To answer the OP question, due to the THIN case neck/shoulder of the 30-30 Winchester, YES, the Lyman 'M' die does help in the load operation for Cast, AND Jacketed projectiles. Especially with Flat Base bullets...Bill.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You are absolutely correct...it was a poor choice of words on my part. Rifle dies do indeed expand the neck. What I should have stated was that they typically do not flare the case mouth like most pistol die sets do. I understood that to be the issue that the OP was experiencing, and my incorrect terminology could have led to confusion, so thank you for the correction.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You are absolutely correct...it was a poor choice of words on my part. Rifle dies do indeed expand the neck. What I should have stated was that they typically do not flare the case mouth like most pistol die sets do. I understood that to be the issue that the OP was experiencing, and my incorrect terminology could have led to confusion, so thank you for the correction.
    Good deal..BTW welcome to INGO..HA.HA..
    For me, the 30-30 Winchester just seems to seat flat base bullets a LOT easier if the Lyman 'M' die is used..Bill.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Good deal..BTW welcome to INGO..HA.HA..
    For me, the 30-30 Winchester just seems to seat flat base bullets a LOT easier if the Lyman 'M' die is used..Bill.
    Thanks! I'll have to give the M die a try some time. I did some further research on it and it looks like a great product. I don't load cast bullets in rifle cartridges much, but anything to make the seating process easier and more consistent is ok by me.

I've always been impressed with the quality of Lyman stuff, and I have several of their manuals. To date, RCBS has been my go-to for rifle stuff, but maybe it's time to diversify a bit!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    With boat tail projectiles I don't worry about it since seating them is a breeze but on a flat base projectile I use a Lee Universal Neck Expanding die to give just a kiss to slightly expand the neck to help start the projectile seating with out damage. They run $15 at Midway USA https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011184394/
    ^^^This also looks like a GREAT option, and is also Universal...The Lyman 'M" die is Diameter specific, and will ONLY work on the Diameter stamped on the end of the box.
    I think?? that I NEED another die?? HA.HA...Bill.

Top Bottom