• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We have located a really nice retail outlet about 10 minutes from our current location and are shopping commercial insurance to meet the lease requirements. Yesterday I called State Farm for a quote. I gave them all the information they wanted.

About 2 hours later I got an email saying they cannot write a policy for me but gave no explanation. I called the local agent and she said: "Guess why." Not being in a mood to play games I said I have no idea and she stated: "It's not the guns. It's the fact that you teach CPR and First Aid on the premises.

:dunno:

How ridiculous. I had never heard such a thing and have been teaching American Heart Association programs for nearly 2 decades.

So I call their corporate headquarters and voice my complaint.

Today I get a call from their customer care department. This lady advised me not only will they not cover CPR and first aid, they will not underwrite any type of gun shop or firearms training center even though there is no shooting on the premises.

-1 for not offering services for valuable training like CPR & First Aid

-1 for not offering service for gun shops.

-1 for not offering services to classroom facilities.

Maybe I should call them back and promise to put up a "NO LOADED GUNS" sign.

They will never get our cars, house, trailer, RV OR obviously our commercial business.

:noway:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I don't use State Farm either, but my new wife has several policies through them. I've already told her when it comes time for renewal, she's switching. I can't STAND THEM!!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Haven't dealt with SF myself. Mainly because of the horror stories I've heard from customers of theirs. The good thing is that there are lots of reputable companies out there willing to do business.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I went through some of the same stuff trying to insure the shop. Had decent luck with Cardinal Insurance on the southside of Indy. Where his business is at actually has a cpr/first aid training center. Not sure if he insures them or not. May give him a try. I have no ties to this other than I used him for my shop insurance at one time. He was very helpful in obtaining the insurance needed. Lots of fun trying to insure a gun shop.
    Cardinal Insurance
    6825 Madison Avenue
    Indianapolis, IN 46227-5088
    (317) 786-9236

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i've had state farm and not had an issue yet with them. the one minor issue i had was resolved when i asked for his manager.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    State Farm is a company of D-Bags. Nothing but bad experiences with them and would never use or recommend them to anyone.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    They pulled a bait and switch on me twice. Once from different offices. So I take it more of a corporate issue rather than agent problems.

One was a business policy for a tree company I had. Paid the policy premium in full, got a letter 3 weeks later informing me they could not write the policy due to the fact I was spraying trees. I went to the agent and he said they would pro rate my policy and issue me a refund for the remaining amount. I told him I wanted full reimbursement as I paid for 12 months of coverage, not 3 weeks worth. He refused, I cleaned his desk, he then agreed with me.

The other time was for a motorcycle policy. Wrote the policy, paid it in full. A few weeks later they said since I did not have a car with them my rate would be higher.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They pulled a bait and switch on me twice. Once from different offices. So I take it more of a corporate issue rather than agent problems.

One was a business policy for a tree company I had. Paid the policy premium in full, got a letter 3 weeks later informing me they could not write the policy due to the fact I was spraying trees. I went to the agent and he said they would pro rate my policy and issue me a refund for the remaining amount. I told him I wanted full reimbursement as I paid for 12 months of coverage, not 3 weeks worth. He refused, I cleaned his desk, he then agreed with me.

The other time was for a motorcycle policy. Wrote the policy, paid it in full. A few weeks later they said since I did not have a car with them my rate would be higher.

I had a similar experience with them 15 or 20 years ago. I was quoted a decent rate, gave them the money and got a letter a month later stating I owed them about 20% more. Cancelled the policy and have never looked at them since.

BountyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Gibson County
    Indiana Farm Bureau......

I was looking at opening a shop here in Southern Indiana, called my local agent, he never even blinked took my info got me the forms and followed up with a call to see when I was gonna open.:rockwoot:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was looking at opening a shop here in Southern Indiana, called my local agent, he never even blinked took my info got me the forms and followed up with a call to see when I was gonna open.:rockwoot:

Congratulations. Best of luck to you. Perhaps you could have a smoker there.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    They had me mad as hell a couple of years ago, so I feel your pain partner. When I got a company car, I was allowed to drive it everywhere, even on vacation. As a result of this, I parked my truck and let my policy expire. When I gave my car back I thought I could just call them up and start my policy again with no problems. Boy was I wrong! They wouldn't touch me AT ALL! I would have been cool with them jackiing up the premiums a little for me being foolish, but they flat out told me they didn't want my business. What really frosted my butt was that since I was old enough to drive, I had my vehicle insured by them. 20+ years of being with them didn't mean a thing.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    I have been with S F for over 20 yrs. Every time I have had a claim, it was taken care of within 24 hrs. This past year, they dropped my business liability insurance because there was to much risk. What sucks is, I'm paying 18% more for the same coverage through another company. And I shopped around with multiple companies.

James

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I went through some of the same stuff trying to insure the shop. Had decent luck with Cardinal Insurance on the southside of Indy. Where his business is at actually has a cpr/first aid training center. Not sure if he insures them or not. May give him a try. I have no ties to this other than I used him for my shop insurance at one time. He was very helpful in obtaining the insurance needed. Lots of fun trying to insure a gun shop.
    Cardinal Insurance
    6825 Madison Avenue
    Indianapolis, IN 46227-5088
    (317) 786-9236

I'll give that a try. honestly the best option thus far is the NRA! They gave me a quote immediately. Nobody else has done that. It's taken all week. Thanks for the info!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Try the Ezell group/ Jones and Associates. They are in Greenwood I think. 31 and I believe Fry Rd. Ask for Lona she is gun friendly and carries a lot of VFD's and I think small business'. Tell her Dak sent ya;)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    10 minutes away? That doesn't sound good. You're only 2 minutes from me now. Unless you're moving due North, that means you'll be FURTHER away! :D

I was hoping you'd open up a nice retail location. But stay in the neighborhood!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have generally taken pleasure in getting even (within ethical limits) when I can. In this situation I would just post a nice sign in the shop describing what SF had done and the fact that they do not apparently want the business of firearm owners. Let the chips fall then where they may.

Top Bottom