• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looking for input on a 3 ball hitch 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16" for a 2021 F150 4x4 2"x2". It's the kid's Christmas present to me. I tow a couple times a year, and it is usually 1 7/8" ball. Rarely 2". Emergency the 2 5/16". Since I'm up in the rust belt in leaning toward the painted balls. I could rattle can those when needed. I've always used a straight, but the drop hitches are all over the place. I'm figuring straight since (as my old one is, but corrosion past 2 trucks and 25 years, it's time for a new one). I do not have a designated tow. I'd like the 1 7/8" on top. Since the 2 5/16" brings a class IV rating I'd rather be overbuilt. Obviously I'd like the ball and hitch ratings to be solid.
    Also, I was looking at the Baja cut ones that keep the seizing down but am not sold.

Here is me B&W consideration.

Thank you in advance.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I had the same problem, three trailers, three different sized balls. I solved with ' CONVERTA BALL ' . Bought it on Amazon, you can change ball sizes in about 2 minutes. Love it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Looking for input on a 3 ball hitch 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16" for a 2021 F150 4x4 2"x2". It's the kid's Christmas present to me. I tow a couple times a year, and it is usually 1 7/8" ball. Rarely 2". Emergency the 2 5/16". Since I'm up in the rust belt in leaning toward the painted balls. I could rattle can those when needed. I've always used a straight, but the drop hitches are all over the place. I'm figuring straight since (as my old one is, but corrosion past 2 trucks and 25 years, it's time for a new one). I do not have a designated tow. I'd like the 1 7/8" on top. Since the 2 5/16" brings a class IV rating I'd rather be overbuilt. Obviously I'd like the ball and hitch ratings to be solid.
    Also, I was looking at the Baja cut ones that keep the seizing down but am not sold.

Here is me B&W consideration.

Thank you in advance.
    What is your question? I’m missing it.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    What is your question? I’m missing it.
    I guess it would be a company recommendation.
    I've always bought the hitches with removable balls. I'd hate to hear something like the welds bust on these.
    Second, should I move from a straight to a drop hitch (keeping in mind I tow infrequently & different couplers)?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've always bought the hitches with removable balls. I'd hate to hear something like the welds bust on these.
    Second, should I move from a straight to a drop hitch (keeping in mind I tow infrequently & different couplers)?

I have not heard of any of these from reputable brands failing on any recreational forums towing threads I follow. The issue I see is you don’t know for sure what you are towing, so I would get an adjustable like above to cover the gamut. It is bad for everything if the ball height is incorrect…

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I was very skeptical of the three ways, until I towed my 7k+ camper a hundred miles with one. Ideal? No. You're supposed to level you trailer. (Hence the drop hitches.) But it did the job, so I was positively impressed. For occasional use, or light hauling, I believe it'd be gtg. Mine was a Harbour Freight cheapie.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The straight vs dropped would depend on the height of tow vehicle and height of trailer coupler.

The painted ball could cause problems depending on what trailer is being towed, some trailer wiring is grounded through the ball. So a coated ball could lead to no lights.
    You can spray it down with fluid film a couple times a year to help with the rusting.
    I suggest going to etrailer.com and shop around, I believe you can sort by vehicle.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I already bought a hitch pin with a key lock prior to the truck coming in. I'd need to buy more with the B&W. I like the 4WP already has a lock. My shins like the option of flipping it under. I have a tendency to leave the hitch in, but I can easily change habits, especially since we went with the Supercrew cab since the kid is bigger now. The 2 5/16" ball would be emergency or if I could hand it to someone in a pinch.

Screenshot_20211121-195053_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So now you know the rest of the story. Very solid system. My only knock, you'd think it would come with a receiver lock or a simple pin (now, I have both, but if this was my 1st hitch, I'd be a little put off).
    20211223_073234.jpg

Top Bottom