• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've proud to have worked on this with some friends. They launched an iOS app and Android app that allows you to report the gun-friendliness of businesses, and help everyone vote with their wallets.

You can also rate places from the web: http://2afriendly.com/2afriendly-rate.php

2AFriendly helps legal gun owners respectfully consider the wishes of the businesses they come in contact with. With this app, gun owners can easily report the gun-friendliness of any business. Future gun owners visiting the business can know if they are welcome with their self-defense ability intact.

2AFriendly allows you to easily share your ratings socially on Facebook and Twitter with your friends, giving you the choice to make your ratings more widely known.
    This has been done before, but never very well. This time it's being done right. I can't take all the credit, but I'm proud to say I helped!

So if you have an Android device, get it here (free)
    iPhone, You can download the iOS app here (also free)

Searchable list of businesses:
    2A Friendly - Search the List of Gun-Friendly and Gun-Unfriendly Businesses

A couple of screenshots:
    NsDJusY.jpg
    ZOCiwDR.jpg

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Nice! Congrats on helping put this together. Once I get a smartphone (July), I'll definitely give this a go.

Now, if I could impose on you for a Wish List for v2.0: Being able to flag copy-LTCH friendly locations. Not quite the same as gun-friendly, but a similar need I believe. I have already started a list here in this thread.

Thanks - the app is nationwide, so that would be a very difficult thing to implement across the states.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    One quick thought, I know this is a new app and you will be updating but it only allows me to see places within a couple hundred feet of me. What is I am looking for a burger joint and am willing to travel more than a couple hundred feet? If I zoom out on the map it doesnt give me more locations... I should be able to see any location that is on the map not just the ones near me.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    One quick thought, I know this is a new app and you will be updating but it only allows me to see places within a couple hundred feet of me. What is I am looking for a burger joint and am willing to travel more than a couple hundred feet? If I zoom out on the map it doesnt give me more locations... I should be able to see any location that is on the map not just the ones near me.

I second this. I really dig the app other then I can't find business that might be a mile out of the way.......which would allow me to support those 2A friendly businesses.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I second this. I really dig the app other then I can't find business that might be a mile out of the way.......which would allow me to support those 2A friendly businesses.

As I understand it google limits the location downloads to 20 at a time, so the primary purpose required that they get the 20 closest places.

The search feature will look for places within a much wider radius though.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    As I understand it google limits the location downloads to 20 at a time, so the primary purpose required that they get the 20 closest places.

The search feature will look for places within a much wider radius though.

There has got to be another good map out there... What about the new "Maps" that comes on the iPhone? Maybe you could buy the map from another app builder and install into your app.

If you cant find a solution let me know the company I work for can build you a nice one. Our owner is very pro 2A so that might help with pricing but we would still have to cover our costs

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Thanks Tnichols.

An active typed-in search returns the 20 closest places based on the search and sorts them based on the user's location (default sort option in the settings). So it is hard to find places that are further away because they will always be drowned out by closer places. I have found and rated places that are more than 50 miles away already, but I have to get creative with the search terms to find them because anything too generic brings in the closer stuff.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Downloaded last night and updated most of the flags in my area. This definitely has a lot of potential and is easy to use. My only complaint is the lack of rated businesses but that's no fault of the creator's. It'll just take time and lots of contributing members to be something I can use as tool to vote with my wallet.

Henktermatt, what's the difference between the +P version and the free version?

Last edited:

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't know what language using to code the program but I know in JavaScript you can add these lines to bypass the 20 destination limit.

counter = 0,
    timer = setInterval(function () {
    createMarkers(map, postcodes);
    counter++
    if (counter3 === postcodes.length) {
    clearInterval(timer);
    }
    }, 1000);

The CreateMarkers() function is where the markers are created from an Array.

So after each postcode has been geocoded and applied to the map the script waits 1 second and then continues with the next postcode.
    But I don't know how this reacts with the new gmaps for iPhone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom