• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I think you might be surprised. Magnum rifles bring out a special kind of fun for first time shooters. 8mm out of a K98 or 24/47 is an absolute cakewalk compared to anything generating more than about 25lbs of recoil for me. I've learned to shoot them, and shoot them well, but I can shoot 100 rounds or more of 8mm or 7.62x54. I stop after 20-25 with the big boomers.

What'd you end up with? We know it's a .300 but that's about it! Pics or it didn't happen!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its a remington in .300 Win Mag. Its not a savage by no means and needs a better scope. But for the price i couldnt turn it down. Cant wait to get it to the range.

300.jpg

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm a big guy and I mind recoil less than most. That said, I am much more accurate shot for shot with a rifle that has less recoil. Everyone anticipates sometimes, everyone flinches sometimes, it just happens more with a heavier recoiling rifle.

If you don't agree, let's take two people who shoot about the same. Give one a rifle that recoils in excess of 25pounds, and the other one a .22. Even if the big rifle shoots a half inch at 100 yards and the 22 shoots 2 inches, I'll guarantee that the 22 shooter will shoot more accurately with different positions at 25 yards.

Light recoil combined with superb performance on deer and elk is why the .270 has been so popular for so many years.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Like I said I don't care for the .270, my brother in law had one, Smith and Wesson I believe and it had a shockwave behind it like no other. And it kicked just as bad as my .30-06! Now I don't rank it up in the crazy high on the recoil meter but it was noticable enough.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im pretty happy with the rifle I got, Not exactly what I wanted but for now and the price i paid. Its more than enough for my first Magnum cal. rifle. Just cant wait to shoot it,lol.

Top Bottom