• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    I have a quick question regarding sizing of rifle cases. I have a rifle in. 225 Winchester which is based on a 30-30 casing necked down to hold a .224 bullet. I'm wanting to know if I have to buy this brass already formed or can I size it down here at home with some kind of sizing die set? I currently don't reload because everytime I save up for some components I buy another gun. :D I'm looking to start reloading sometime this summer but for now I don't much about it. Anyway thanks for any opinions and facts in advance.

GunnSlinger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Well the reason I wanted to size it is because Ihave probably 1000 or so pieces of once fired 30-30 brass. Was trying to use them to make .225 rounds since I already have them. Another thought is I have a Contender in 7-30 waters would it be better to try and make that sizing. By better I mean not so hard on the brass?

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I have a rifle in. 225 Winchester which is based on a 30-30 casing necked down to hold a .224 bullet.

I'm wanting to know if I have to buy this brass already formed or can I size it down here at home with some kind of sizing die set?

Seriously?

Do you have a piece of 225 Winchester brass in your possession?

You would have to size, repeatedly, turn the rim off the 30-30 brass, cut an extractor groove in the case head - then maybe you'll have the good sense to check case capacity between the factory brass and the brass you've made.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What Fireball is trying to say, in a not-so-nice way, is that 225 Winchester cases have a design that evolved from the 30/30, but are really quite different. The rim is not the same and factory 225 cases are much thicker and stronger than 30/30. You do not want to try and make 225 cases from 30/30, except as a last resort. If you did that, you'd be well-advised to back your loads down to keep them safe.

The 225 Winchester, with its stronger case design, runs at 56,500psi. The 30/30 case is designed for 42,000psi. If you converted the thinner and weaker 30/30 case to 225, you could not safely use full-throttle loads in it. Make sense?

You've got one of my favorite cartridges, in the 225 Win. Go buy some brass made for it and load 'em up! If you're anywhere around the Indy area and would like a reloading mentor, let me know...I'd be glad to help you out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I could give a damn about being "nice"

I have always enjoyed your posts and your knowlege, but lately they seem to be getting more and more abbrasive

**** like this gets people hurt.

A customer of mine has a martini style rifle in 225 win, and all he uses is 30 30 brass he resizes w/ a 2 die set from RCBS. I have shot it, and its rather nice. I didnt get hurt, and neither did he? Are you assuming that the OP will not do proper load development?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I have always enjoyed your posts and your knowlege, but lately they seem to be getting more and more abbrasive

I'd love to see the ones you take exception with. Shouldn't take long to sort through them - I don't have much to say, comparatively.

A customer of mine has a martini style rifle in 225 win, and all he uses is 30 30 brass he resizes w/ a 2 die set from RCBS.

I hope your customer has the good sense to load it down to what the Martini action can hold.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When you two guys are done with your ****ing match, maybe you'll realize that NEITHER OF YOU answered the OP's question very well, at all. IGW gave him advice that could blow up his gun and Fireball just snorted with derision.

WTG guys. :rolleyes:

@ the OP -- Send me a PM if you'd like sound and kind information on loading 225 ammo.

Top Bottom