• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I am wanting to buy a .22 pistol. I have heard that many of them are problematic. Do any of you have a suggestion? Point me in the right direction.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am wanting to buy a .22 pistol. I have heard that many of them are problematic. Do any of you have a suggestion? Point me in the right direction.

Depends on what you are looking at. A lot of the major ones your hear about (ruger MKII, MKIII, 22/45, sr22, Walther P22, browning buckmark) have few if ever any problems. I would stick to one of those, but thats my personal preference.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I have had great luck with the Ruger SR22. I uprgraded to the stainless steel guide rod, and to the solid polimer take down lever, which from my readings were the two most common issues people had. It will normally eat anything you feed it, but after 150+ rounds of some dirt bulk will start to hiccup. I wipe it down with a Rem Wipe and it is good to go again. It has completely outperformed my friends P22.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Depends on what you are looking at. A lot of the major ones your hear about (ruger MKII, MKIII, 22/45, sr22, Walther P22, browning buckmark) have few if ever any problems. I would stick to one of those, but thats my personal preference.

I probably posted this prematurely. I really need to research some more models but I was mainly looking at the Walther P22. Seems to be popular and available.

As for the use..... :dunno:

I plan to do some plinking with it but it is just something I feel like I should have ? haha that is terrible justification but I'll go with it.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've been enjoying a Ruger SR22 pistol for quite a while now. I haven't had any problems with it, but I do clean it after every range trip or two.

Before you run out and buy your new toy, can you find .22lr ammo? If so, where? :cool:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    SR-22

I probably posted this prematurely. I really need to research some more models but I was mainly looking at the Walther P22. Seems to be popular and available.

I plan to do some plinking with it but it is just something I feel like I should have ? haha that is terrible justification but I'll go with it.

I have a Ruger SR-22. It gets better each time I use it, very accurate. Don't let anyone tell you, that they will work with "any" kind of 22lr ammo. Mine works
    just fine, as long as the ammo is Hi Velocity, and not cheap bulk stuff.
    As far as the Walther P-22 is concerned, they are more expensive than the Ruger. Walther P-22's, are not made by the Walther company of old.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I have 2 Ruger SR22's. Just picked up the second one at the 1500 for my wife to shoot. I have had great luck with the Ruger. Just my 2 cents.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    In my experience the Rugers MK2 and 3 and SR22 all will shoot most any ammo w/o issue. No need for CCI Minimags to get reliable function.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll chime in with the SR22 as well. I've owned two. They'll eat anything, except golden bullets (for some reason). I've also owned a few sig mosquitos. They're good for FTE and FTF practice if you aren't cci mini mags.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Ruger Mark I/II/III (or standard model) or Browning Buckmark. I have owned multiple of each and every one of them were reliable. Have a Mark II and a Mark III at the moment and couldn't be happier.

Persistency

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Plainfield
    I have had great luck with my Ruger SR22 and Walther P22, they both swallow pretty much any kind of ammo fed to them. I usually shoot Federal bulk with both of them. My son shoots a Sig Mosquito on a very regular basis, and it seems to prefer higher quality ammo. Bulk packs do not always agree with it. He likes the Sig mainly because it is physically larger than the SR or P22. The larger frame fits his hand better. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the name brand companies.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Ruger 22/45 Lite and SR-22 and not a problem from either.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ruger 22/45 lite is very nice but I have to say I bought my wife a Walter p22 and was very impressed with it even through it is pink

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

Hey, any justification is grounds to just go and do it! I want another old glock just for a tv room gun.

The P22 is a great little pistol. Good friend of mine has one, and I have put many rounds through hers and it has been great. Ive thought about buying one, but it wont be for a while since my MKIII suits my needs for now, and I can borrow hers any time. Lol. Have not shot the SR22, but lots of people (as you can tell) seem to like it. Look at it as well. They are similar.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I love my MKII. Works great. I also have a S&W .22 revolver. That is sweet! So accurate and fun to shoot. Plus you will never have a problem with one.

I know, everyone wants a pistol now a days, but for plinking, hunting and target shooting, the revolver works well. And a Ruger Single Six is great for a single action .22.

Top Bottom