• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Any of you 22LR fanatics know of a gunsmith that does work on Ruger wood stocks?

The screw at the end of the barrel on my Mannlicher Ruger 10/22 just turns and turns. I need to remove it for disassembly / cleaning but at least one Indianapolis-area smith won't do wood work.
    Try Highsmith in Greenfield. I know he used to do wood stock work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If the MK XXII ever needs to find a good home, I know someone who would give it lots n lots of love. I used to have one. I even found a like new original Weatherby rimfire scope for it. Sweetest shooting rifle I ever owned. One ragged hole at 50 yds all day long. I've been kicking myself every since for letting it go.
    That is one of the firearms passed to my by my dad. It won't ever be sold as long as my brothers and I are alive at least.

And yes it's a shooter. My dad used to goof around and make "designs" on the targets when he got bored with punching the bullseyes out. Horizontal lines, crosses, etc. I don't recall him doing a smiley face but I don't think those were around back then, lol.

I'm not that good with it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a .22 addiction as well.
    Nothing extra special as far as collectors pieces go, but I like them just the same.

One is an 1895 "Low-Wall".
    It started life as a .22short, but someone wasn't satisfied with that, so they swapped out the stock for some type of heavy bench-rest style stock.
    They then swapped out the barrel for a Winchester model 52 barrel, turning the .22short into a .22lr.

It is a seriously fun rifle to shoot. More accurate than I am, by FAR.

I also have an old Mossberg model 44B.
    Picked that up from someone desperate for cash. They offered it to me for $50, and I jumped.
    It had a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 scope on it, as well as a very nice adjustable tooled leather sling.
    I truly believe the scope and sling were worth the $50 price tag.

I have a very old and worn Stevens "Crack-Shot", and a plethora of lesser rifles.

I also have a single-shot lever action .22lr that has the Ted Williams signature.
    I believe this was a "hardware store" gun, renamed/branded.
    Not sure who the maker is, but was enchanted by the Ted Williams signature.

.22's are just too darn fun...

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    That is one of the firearms passed to my by my dad. It won't ever be sold as long as my brothers and I are alive at least.

And yes it's a shooter. My dad used to goof around and make "designs" on the targets when he got bored with punching the bullseyes out. Horizontal lines, crosses, etc. I don't recall him doing a smiley face but I don't think those were around back then, lol.

I'm not that good with it.
    I might have to give the smiley face a try with my wby. I can't even draw a decent smiley with a pencil and paper so the 22 would be my best shot! ;)

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Some nice guns posted here. Mine are more pedestrian, but I love them just the same. I don't have a pic of all of them, but here are a couple that I took out to the range yesterday with my youngest.

The rifle is a Glenfield Model 25. We call it the "rug gun". About 15 years ago, my wife and I were newly married and still in college. We were both full-time students working full-time entry level jobs, and had virtually no disposable income. My wife wanted a rug for the living room of our apartment...iirc is was like $30. I told her we couldn't afford it. Later that day, I stopped by the LGS and saw this beautiful little bolt-action .22. Salesman dropped the price from $99 down to $90 OTD and it came home with me. Wife was less than thrilled...still tells the story of the rug gun to anyone who will listen. I'll admit it was kind of an a-hole move as a husband...but that rug would be long gone by now, and that little .22 has provided countless hours of entertainment for me and the kids, not to mention killed it's share of nuisance critters around the house.

The Ruger is a MK2 Stainless Target that I picked up last year at the LGS on an impulse buy. I saw it in the case, was impressed by the price, and brought it home. It's an absolute tack driver and incredibly reliable. I'd dabbled in cheap service-style .22 handguns for a while (never liked the look of the Mk-series or the Buckmarks) but never found anything I was happy with. I don't know why it took me so long to see the light and buy one of these, but it's made me glad that I finally did.

IMG_20210508_190757536_HDR~2.jpg

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    All I've got are two cz455s, one military trainer with techsights and one American with a scope for (hopefully soon!) eventual small game hunting.

I want a single six, some sort of auto pistol and a 10/22 but none are priorities right now.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Ruger 96/22, 77/22, too many 10/22 to count, Henry, Marlin 981T, Remington 581, Ruger American Rimfire, 77/17, Ruger American in 17hmr, Glock 44, Keltec P17, Ruger Mk I, II, III & IV, Ruger SR22 x3 CZ, Ruger Charger x3, LCP .22, S&W 15-22 and S&W 15-22P. I think the list is complete

Last edited:

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I have a total of 14 22LR guns, four rifles (one lever, one semi-auto, and two bolt action) and ten handguns (two SA revolvers, one DA/SA revolver, and seven semi-autos).

Favorites are a Remington 1947 bolt action rifle that was my dad's and a Browning 1911-22 semi-auto pistol.

Not anything expensive or of a collector's value, mainly just a bunch of plain jane .22LRs that are a ton of fun at a relatively inexpensive cost.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is probably my most unusual .22. It's a Winchester Model 55 Rimfire. It's a single shot semi-auto. You pull back the charging handle, which allows you to load a single round through a loading gate in the top of the receiver. Take the safety off, then fire and it ejects the brass out the bottom and puts the rifle back on safe automatically. For that reason I think it would be a good training rifle for kids, since you have to manually take it off safe each time. Kinda quirky but fun! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
      IMG_4070.JPG
      190.1 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_4068.JPG
      IMG_4068.JPG
      160.5 KB · Views: 13

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    5-6 CZ 452s, a 455, 2 CZ 22 Mag semi autos, Weatherby XXII, Win 75, 2 US 44s, 2 39As, 2 39Ms, Norinco 98k Trainer, Remington 541T, Old Ruger 10/22 and an MP44 copy. Maybe half as many handguns. I’m getting ready to make a 4 hour round trip drive to pick up another rifle today. I guess it could be said I love 22s. But I’ve also been told I’m just a selfish hoarder... :dunno:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Dad gave me a 22 when I was 5 years old. Began shooting at age 3. Gun was too heavy so dad would hold it up and I pulled the trigger. We practiced shooting empty 22 cases at 10 paces with open sights. I yet remember the first day I outshot dad. He was more excited than me. I have owned a few since that time. Great memories! My favorites 22 rifles are Remington 541S, CZ 455, Ruger 10-22, Marlin 39A, Ruger 77/22, T/C contender and and old Kodiak 22 mag semi auto (which I regrettably sold!). Favorites 22 pistols are High Standard Victor, High Standard Supermatic trophy, Stoeger Pro series, Browning Challenger (Old model), Browning Buckmark and T/C contender. Favorite 22 revolvers are Smith & Wesson model 17 , 48, 617, 648, 63, Ruger Super Single six, and an old High Standard Double Nine. The current ammo supply dilemma is putting a cramp on my kids and grandkids style. Good thing we had put some back for shortages to come. Good shooting

Top Bottom