• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My first rimfire was a Winchester Model 190 given to me by my father. You don't hear much about them and they were not very popular with traditional Winchester fans but it's a solid gun for a reasonable price. My next was also my first handgun, a Ruger Mark III Gov. Comp, I've probably put more rounds through that gun than all of my other rimfires combined.

Since then my collection has grown quite a bit to include a 10/22, Browning Buckmark rifle and pistol, Berretta Neos, a Walther P22, a Ruger Single Six Hunter, ISSC/Anschutz Rx 22, Rough Rider, Winchester Model 250, Smith and Wesson 622, Bergara B14R, Lithgow LA101, and a 3 underappreciated Mossbergs all in .22 lr. Other rimfires in my collection include a Tikka T1x and ISSC SPA in .17 hmr, a Browning T-bolt in .22 mag, and a Ruger 77/17 in .17 WSM. Lately, I've been enjoying shooting the T-bolt the most followed closely by the T1x.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I just got the wife a Taurus TX22 and my daughter has had the Ruger SR22 for a few years now.
    Myself... A new 6.5" Heritage Rough Rider , it made for an excellent range day last week !!!

That TX22 is so fun !
    I have an SR22 that I am quite fond of and my sister bought a Taurus TX22 a few weeks ago, her very first firearm purchase ever. She loves it, thinking I may need to get one also.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    I have an SR22 that I am quite fond of and my sister bought a Taurus TX22 a few weeks ago, her very first firearm purchase ever. She loves it, thinking I may need to get one also.
    We started with the Ruger SR22 pistol and still love shooting it, The TX22 is the next level !
    I got the wife one and its sweet !

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    And since this is the long gun area (oops) I also must mention my Rossi RS22
    About one hundred and twenty bucks at Rural King and it is one of the most accurate 22 LR rifles I've owned.
    The goofy thing just shoots !

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I was at my private rifle club a few days ago and failed to check the event calendar and it turned out they were having a 22lr match. Couldn't shoot at the outdoor range so I figured I stick around and see what the match was all about. Very friendly people and in less than an hour I was convinced I wanted to join and began the process of doing so.

As I already own some pretty decent bench equipment rest, bags etc, I already had a good scope NIB along with a set of rings, all I really needed to get started in the basic stock factory division was a rifle to make me acceptably competitive. I absolutely love shooting from the bench so it just struck me as logical to join as it's the next best thing to HP BR competition which I want to do but there just aren't many ranges near me that offer it.

I absolutely love Savages so after what would quickly turn out to be insufficient research I ordered a Savage B22 Precision rifle from KyGunCo. I quickly found out although wonderfully accurate, the Savage B22 PR has serious issues with it's mag causing feeding issues and it's bolt has issues with damaging rounds already loaded in the mag and it's extractors has issues as well.

Thankfully KyGunCo allowed me to cancel my order. That left me with two readily available choices within my budget, a CZ 457 Varminter and a Tikka T1X. I found the T1X was available to be ordered through my local Cabela's which was a big plus, I had over half the cost available in Cabela's points an even bigger plus. But the final deciding factor for me was spare magazine capacity, cost and availability.

The CZ 457 (also accepts CZ 455 mags) came with a single 5 round mag not very useful in a match. But what I found to be much worse is although CZ makes 10 round mags for the CZ457/455 they were out of stock everywhere I had come up during 2+ hours of net searches. The only place that had 10 round CZ 457 mags was Ebay at 2-2.5x their normal cost of $55-$80+ each. Yes 5 round mages were available but they were a tad more expansive than the T1X mags and only half the capacity so they were of essentially no use for me in a match.

So the facts I could get the Tikka T1X MTR considerably cheaper, the T1X's mags were 10 rounders, readily available and slightly cheaper than a 5 round CZ mag and I could buy all the T1X mags I wanted made my mind up for me. I ordered a 20" Tikka T1X on Saturday and I should have it before Friday.

Now ammo is another matter. My research pointed me towards ammo from RWS, SK, Wolf and CCI so I ordered/bought:
    RWS Professinal Rifle Match
    Wolf Performance Match Extra
    SK red box
    Have TONS of CCI Standard Velocity on hand.
    Are topping it with a scope I bought before the thought of ever joining a RF rifle league ever even crossed my mind for an instant. It was on sale for a great price bought it strictly on an impulse with the plans on using it to tech myself long range shooting with my savage308 10FCP-SR
    It's Hawke Sidewinder SFP ED 8.5-25x42 IL Mil-dot 30mm tube. I also ordered 5 10 round spare Tikka T1X factory mags from Buds Guns.

I'm now just waiting to get my T1X from Cabela's. I plan on bedding a one piece rail to the T1X and use Talley rings which I will also lap.

My only goal to begin with is be the best shot I can be regardless of any one else abilities at any match I shoot in Second goal is to have as much fun as I can.

My total cost to get into 22lr rifle competition matches stands at under $800 even after adding two AM stock ad ons from Tikka and one from Brownells.

I would openly admit I am now hopelessly addicted to rimfire rifle competitive shooting.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I was at my private rifle club a few days ago and failed to check the event calendar and it turned out they were having a 22lr match. Couldn't shoot at the outdoor range so I figured I stick around and see what the match was all about. Very friendly people and in less than an hour I was convinced I wanted to join and began the process of doing so.

As I already own some pretty decent bench equipment rest, bags etc, I already had a good scope NIB along with a set of rings, all I really needed to get started in the basic stock factory division was a rifle to make me acceptably competitive. I absolutely love shooting from the bench so it just struck me as logical to join as it's the next best thing to HP BR competition which I want to do but there just aren't many ranges near me that offer it.

I absolutely love Savages so after what would quickly turn out to be insufficient research I ordered a Savage B22 Precision rifle from KyGunCo. I quickly found out although wonderfully accurate, the Savage B22 PR has serious issues with it's mag causing feeding issues and it's bolt has issues with damaging rounds already loaded in the mag and it's extractors has issues as well.

Thankfully KyGunCo allowed me to cancel my order. That left me with two readily available choices within my budget, a CZ 457 Varminter and a Tikka T1X. I found the T1X was available to be ordered through my local Cabela's which was a big plus, I had over half the cost available in Cabela's points an even bigger plus. But the final deciding factor for me was spare magazine capacity, cost and availability.

The CZ 457 (also accepts CZ 455 mags) came with a single 5 round mag not very useful in a match. But what I found to be much worse is although CZ makes 10 round mags for the CZ457/455 they were out of stock everywhere I had come up during 2+ hours of net searches. The only place that had 10 round CZ 457 mags was Ebay at 2-2.5x their normal cost of $55-$80+ each. Yes 5 round mages were available but they were a tad more expansive than the T1X mags and only half the capacity so they were of essentially no use for me in a match.

So the facts I could get the Tikka T1X MTR considerably cheaper, the T1X's mags were 10 rounders, readily available and slightly cheaper than a 5 round CZ mag and I could buy all the T1X mags I wanted made my mind up for me. I ordered a 20" Tikka T1X on Saturday and I should have it before Friday.

Now ammo is another matter. My research pointed me towards ammo from RWS, SK, Wolf and CCI so I ordered/bought:
    RWS Professinal Rifle Match
    Wolf Performance Match Extra
    SK red box
    Have TONS of CCI Standard Velocity on hand.
    Are topping it with a scope I bought before the thought of ever joining a RF rifle league ever even crossed my mind for an instant. It was on sale for a great price bought it strictly on an impulse with the plans on using it to tech myself long range shooting with my savage308 10FCP-SR
    It's Hawke Sidewinder SFP ED 8.5-25x42 IL Mil-dot 30mm tube. I also ordered 5 10 round spare Tikka T1X factory mags from Buds Guns.

I'm now just waiting to get my T1X from Cabela's. I plan on bedding a one piece rail to the T1X and use Talley rings which I will also lap.

My only goal to begin with is be the best shot I can be regardless of any one else abilities at any match I shoot in Second goal is to have as much fun as I can.

My total cost to get into 22lr rifle competition matches stands at under $800 even after adding two AM stock ad ons from Tikka and one from Brownells.

I would openly admit I am now hopelessly addicted to rimfire rifle competitive shooting.

As I'm in NWI, I'm curious what rifle club this is. I've never competed, but would like to try it some day, just for fun. And is the competition just for members?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Michigan City runs small bore (22lr) matches the second and fourth Fridays of the month, starts at 5 pm.

North Porter County Conservation Club has just started having precision .22 matches. Check the calendar on their web site. IIRC they are shooting the first Sunday.

The Starke Associated Marksmen (SAM) have both silhouette and long distance steel matches listed on their web site.

Those are the ones I know of in the NW Indiana area, there may be more.

No club memberships required for the above matches. Club members usually get a discounted entry fee

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I just got the wife a Taurus TX22 and my daughter has had the Ruger SR22 for a few years now.
    Myself... A new 6.5" Heritage Rough Rider , it made for an excellent range day last week !!!

That TX22 is so fun !
    Take a serious look at the TX22 Competition. It has an RMR slot mounted to the fixed barrel. I've heard it shoots killer groups and is really easy to stay on target.

Top Bottom