• Status
    Not open for further replies.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was really happy with how the turkey turned out! This was my first turkey on the traeger, and it all went as planned. Good flavor all the way through, juicy, nice subtle smoke. The big plus was that by doing the bird outside, it freed up the oven and didn’t require the planning that it usually does, so my wife was in a good mood! :):

Anyhoo, I’m already sick of turkey, so I think I’ll do a deer roast Saturday or Sunday, but I’ll definitely do the turkey on the smoker again next year.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was really happy with how the turkey turned out! This was my first turkey on the traeger, and it all went as planned. Good flavor all the way through, juicy, nice subtle smoke. The big plus was that by doing the bird outside, it freed up the oven and didn’t require the planning that it usually does, so my wife was in a good mood! :):

Anyhoo, I’m already sick of turkey, so I think I’ll do a deer roast Saturday or Sunday, but I’ll definitely do the turkey on the smoker again next year.
    Turkey turned out good, wife in a good mood. Win, Win.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not sure what the deal was today but I think the fan on my Flameboss is going out or something. I struggled to get the egg up to 375* and once I put the meat on it didn't want to get back anywhere near that temp. After and hour of fiddling with it I finally just took the controller off and went old school. Unfortunately much of the skin ended up a bit rubbery as a result but the meat was good.

This is the last time I'll break a bird down like this. I thought it would be easier to fit it on the egg and I was way wrong there. I think more moisture is retained with the bird mostly in tact as well. That said, there weren't any complaints so all in all it's a win. The Meater probes worked extremely well, very pleased with them at this point.
    FV5RZOUh.jpg

ZpMDa8Xh.jpg

8RR5bIqh.jpg

rI6x50Wh.jpg

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Did much more cooking than picture taking the past couple days. Thursday morning was pork loin on the grill- no pics at all but it came out ok. Thursday night was turkey at home. Friday I was hoping to grill a nice strip loin roast (my oldest daughter was complaining about the lack of good red meat at the college cafeteria), but we got home late so it ended up being sautéed steaks instead.
    1000001968.jpg

1000001976.jpg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Filling the Camp Chef smoker... With the remainder of a half beef that is a year old. I pre-smoke the just unfrozen roast cuts a few hours at 160 low smoke. Then vacuum seal and refreeze. Process gives them several more months of freeze time.

I start with a good amount of sea salt, brush on mustard, then sprinkle on a couple coats of Flying Swine sweet and spicy rub.

Cuts were pot, arm, chuck and sirloin roasts, rack of beef ribs, and even a tongue.

Not including the leaner sirloin, I often place the pre-smoked frozen roast in the Ninja foodie with a cup of water and pressure cook usually 1.5 hour, maybe more for pot roast.

Can use the juice from cooking for brown gravy. Dissolve a half cup of Bobs red mill fine pastry flour in a half cup of cold water to add to the cooking juice. I often add some cream also.

Hope this process helps someone with meat preps and efficiency, extending freezer times and simple delicious cooking methods :thumbsup:

PXL_20231130_161244263.jpg PXL_20231130_171603191.jpg PXL_20231130_223133663.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Saturday I smoked some beef cheeks. SPG rubbed, doubled up the smoke tubes, smoked at 200-250° until IT was 165°. Filled a foil pan with beef broth, some dark beer, an onion, and ton of minced garlic. Covered and braised cheeks until IT was 210°, and then held them there for a couple hours.

Last night I heated it up in a pot on the stove. Dunked corn tortillas in the juice and browned them. A little cheese, cilantro, jalapenos, and a squeeze of lime juice.

Best tacos EVER.

AKSW1fYl.jpg

kWPfGgXl.jpg

2t7nM5xl.jpg

SmokeMedic

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    @SmokeMedic what was your process of cooking the backstrap
    I cut the backstrap into about 1" thick steaks and seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning. I let them sit in the fridge for about 4 hours and then hit them with the sear burner for about 1.5-2 min a side (125-130 IT). Rested and then slices up for the gremlins to destroy.

I should have noted that I also did some chicken thighs and 2 pork steaks (on the black tray).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom