• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Made baby backs this weekend while building a roof over my daughter's patio. Didn't really have time to mess with them so went about 6 hours, @250°, no wrap. Turned out great.

Easiest ribs I ever cooked.
    That’s exactly what I do. Close the lid and check them after 5 hours. Beats the hell out of the 3-2-1 method, and always come out tasting great.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    20230705_201344.jpg

Let them sit on indirect heat at 200⁰ for about 20, hickory wood blocks for flavor. After about 20 I'll let the kamado heat up and move to open flames.

20230705_205015.jpg

Letting the heat build now.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not the normal subject, but it was a tasty breakfast. First zucchini of the year from the garden and some fresh basil became fritters topped with Romano cheese and served with a side of prosciutto. Pretty tasty.
    View attachment 285488
    That is my favorite way to eat zucchini. I would plop a couple eggs on top and go to town.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Grocery store had spare ribs on sale. The wife and kids are heading out to a concert, so it's going to be dinner for me. Modified the 3-2-1 method, more of a mow my grass-2-1. I think 2 hours wrapped is too much for me, I like a little more chew to my ribs, but the sample bits that pulled off were quite tasty.
    20230708_161103.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Venison backstrap from last year's deer season.
    Fresh beans from the garden.
    Cabernet that was a Christmas gift from the youngest a few years back.

Classify these as good times.

2B92BE56-245A-4F1B-B92D-85A40A1C7D83.jpeg

Smoked with hickory on an old school Weber Smokey Mountain and then finished with a reverse sear on a cast iron skillet on a Weber kettle

Last edited:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Last night I actually tried something I saw on a show a few years back. Cooking directly on coals...
    After the wood fire I had going from burning brush from the past weekend's cleanup, I banked the logs side by side. I placed two ears of unshucked corn on the logs and turned them every minute or so until I deemed them done. I set them aside on a plate and cleaned off the logs. Then I placed a nice ribeye directly on the log's embers. After turning it a time or two, it was done to perfection. The flavor was fabulous. Between the steak rub and the hardwood embers/smoke it'll be hard to do it any other way....
    Bon appetit !!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Last night I actually tried something I saw on a show a few years back. Cooking directly on coals...
    After the wood fire I had going from burning brush from the past weekend's cleanup, I banked the logs side by side. I placed two ears of unshucked corn on the logs and turned them every minute or so until I deemed them done. I set them aside on a plate and cleaned off the logs. Then I placed a nice ribeye directly on the log's embers. After turning it a time or two, it was done to perfection. The flavor was fabulous. Between the steak rub and the hardwood embers/smoke it'll be hard to do it any other way....
    Bon appetit !!

I have yet to try that, but keep hearing it is fantastic!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looks like I tracked one down I can pick up this week...bacon time!!!

How did yours turn out?
    Absolutely phenomenal. Ended up just slicing by hand

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Absolutely phenomenal. Ended up just slicing by hand

The more time goes by, the more I like home made stuff.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Last night's dinner was wagyu bacon burgers and some key west jumbo shrimp. Tonight was boring, just had salads with fresh tomatoes and cakes from the garden

View attachment 286565
    For the past few years….. almost a decade now lol I have been focusing on producing my own meat…. I have raised everything from rabbits and chickens to cows and sheep and everything in between. And I did well I haven’t bought meat from the store since I started…
    I am just now scaling back my “meat” department only keeping the pigs. Then the rest of my meat will be from the woods (deer turkey squirrels fish frogs etc etc might still raise a batch of chickens here and there) I REALLY want to focus on my garden orchards and preservation in the coming years. I have gotten some stuff from them but not really ever perfected it or put in a lot of effort.

All that to say a tomato and cucumber from the garden are delicious and a lofty goal for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom