Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My initial attempt at bacon

It's been curing for 7 days now. Rubbed with smoked sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, sugar, and curing salt. Was rinsed this afternoon and will sit on a grate on cookie sheet uncovered till it goes on the smoker.

3-4hrs at 200° using apple and cherry wood till internal of 150° Rest and wrap and put in fridge. Then slice and fry as with any other bacon
    Thanks, Please post a few pics along the way.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yes. Gave it a massage too each time...lol. probably had 1/4 cup of liquid at most and that was somewhere around days 3-5. Seems like liquid either evaporated or was absorbed back in by day 7
    I've never got a lot out either. Some people make it sound like they get a lot more out of it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My first attempt so have no idea what to expect :cool: Just read some articles on it and said what the hell, let's give it a try
    We are in the same boat, we have talked about doing it for years now.
    My Thing 2 has been doing jerky for years, but not on a pellet smoker/grill. Its been an interesting journey so far for us. The jerky,bone in ribeyes, burgers and the first run of pork belly have been well received.
    Its a whole new learning, reading, watching videos curve, like going from reloading smokeless to black powder cartridges.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My first attempt so have no idea what to expect :cool: Just read some articles on it and said what the hell, let's give it a try
    Well you're following the same process I use and it turns out fine for us. Only thing different is I smoke on the lowest setting with a smoke tube. I think it's 180, I have bumped it up to 200 when it was cold out, so I don't think it will change much.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well you're following the same process I use and it turns out fine for us. Only thing different is I smoke on the lowest setting with a smoke tube. I think it's 180, I have bumped it up to 200 when it was cold out, so I don't think it will change much.
    I thought about using the smoke setting on the Zgrill. Fluctuates between 160° and 180° so it constantly rolls smoke. The time on the smoker isn't an issue for me tomorrow so I may try that for the first hour or so to add a little more smoke

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    It's a 4.25# belly. This is right after seasoning for the 7, well 8, day cure. Will post a pic of it out of the cure and rinsed when I pull the pork shoulder out of fridge for the smoker tonight

View attachment 284889
    You may know, but make sure you cut it vertically as it was on the hog. Horizontally will give you tough bacon. Don't ask me how I know.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It's a 4.25# belly. This is right after seasoning for the 7, well 8, day cure. Will post a pic of it out of the cure and rinsed when I pull the pork shoulder out of fridge for the smoker tonight

View attachment 284889
    Pork belly After 7 days

20230703_225311.jpg
    20230703_225321.jpg
    Pork shoulder coming up to room temp before going on the Z at midnight

20230703_225430.jpg

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I’ve decided to only cook my deer tenderloins in a sous vide machine from now on. Juicy and a perfect 130°/medium rare all the way through. I marinate overnight with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary. Sous vide machine for 4-6 hrs. Pan sear each side in oil for 1 min. Usually make up a mushroom cream sauce to top it off. IMG_7343.jpeg IMG_7381.jpeg IMG_6247.jpeg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’ve decided to only cook my deer tenderloins in a sous vide machine from now on. Juicy and a perfect 130°/medium rare all the way through. I marinate overnight with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and rosemary. Sous vide machine for 4-6 hrs. Pan sear each side in oil for 1 min. Usually make up a mushroom cream sauce to top it off. View attachment 284960 View attachment 284961 View attachment 284962
    That is one kitchen gadget I would love to acquire.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I cooked at the flying j …. The truckers and waitresses LOVED me. I would put giant baking sheets over the grill. When I removed them they were glowing red. I would put beautiful marks on the steak both sides in about 15 seconds. Then into the high power microwave for 30 seconds with a dish of water. Came out the FASTEST well done steak still being juicy. From ticket printing to food on the table less than 5 minutes could do the same with other finishes but it was trickier.

I know we can’t trust people that like well done steaks but on numerous occasions I was told it was the best steak they have ever had and they would send a tip back

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom