Not open for further replies.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Going to sous vide some fresh gobbler breast for today... Pics forthcoming if I remember.

Fresh gobbler, sautéed asparagus and fresh morels.

Gobbler- Lemon pepper, sage and rosemary rub with melted butter sous vide for 2.5 hours at 145 deg... Cut with your fork yummy...

Screenshot_20230501_071410_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK. Wasnt sure whether to put this in first world problems or here.

So besides foil, what do you suggest for the "2" stage in 3-2-1 ribs? (I actually use 1-1-1)
    Its 3 hours in smoke, 2 tightly wrapped in a foil pouch, 1 hour back in the smoker to get a crust.
    Today I got to stage 2 and placed the two half racks on the foil on a jelly roll pan. I picked up the smoker rack and water was pouring out of a hole in the bottom of the foil. OK, try again.

I redid it and it seemed ok. Opened the smoker door a few minutes later to check something and I saw water dripping off the pouch. Apparently I poked a hole again. Seems like this happens about every other smoke session.

Ideas for that "sealed" braising stage that doesnt involve a foil pouch or disposable foil trays? I'm running about 275-300* and its a Bradley smoker, so the basket is about 9 1/2" x 10" of space to work with. A metal pan with a tight fitting metal lid?

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

So besides foil, what do you suggest for the "2" stage in 3-2-1 ribs? (I actually use 1-1-1)
    Its 3 hours in smoke, 2 tightly wrapped in a foil pouch, 1 hour back in the smoker to get a crust.
    Today I got to stage 2 and placed the two half racks on the foil on a jelly roll pan. I picked up the smoker rack and water was pouring out of a hole in the bottom of the foil. OK, try again.

I redid it and it seemed ok. Opened the smoker door a few minutes later to check something and I saw water dripping off the pouch. Apparently I poked a hole again. Seems like this happens about every other smoke session.

Ideas for that "sealed" braising stage that doesnt involve a foil pouch or disposable foil trays? I'm running about 275-300* and its a Bradley smoker, so the basket is about 9 1/2" x 10" of space to work with. A metal pan with a tight fitting metal lid?
    Sounds like you need to quit man handling them ribs in the foil....lol.

When I use foil for a wrap I use a double layer of HD foil. Lay it on a cookie sheet and transfer ribs to it. Gently fold up to make a pouch. Add my liquid then fold over and crimp, making a tent. Never had an issue with bones puncturing the foil that way.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like you need to quit man handling them ribs in the foil....lol.

When I use foil for a wrap I use a double layer of HD foil. Lay it on a cookie sheet and transfer ribs to it. Gently fold up to make a pouch. Add my liquid then fold over and crimp, making a tent. Never had an issue with bones puncturing the foil that way.
    I dont think it was bones. it could be that I put the foil on the rack first. Might try the cookie sheet direct then lift the tent onto the rack.

But starting to look for an appropriate sized cake pan/metal lid to try.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I recommend paper wrap...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I use that for some things. but not the "2" stage, which is braising/steaming. I dont think the paper will hold the water?

You may want to give it a go and see what you think.

I thought the same thing, but quality butcher paper surprised me. I've not used foil for "2" since.

Lots of options out there though.....and one of the best things about smoking experimenting!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll give that a try. I have some paper. still going to look for a pan too, since thats a reusable item.
    Edit: taking it out of the foil, I managed to poke another small hole. SMH

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom