• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I wish we had them down here in numbers.
    Same here,I used to love hunting them and have a pile of varmint rifles,but distemper pretty well wiped them and grey fox out 30 + years ago. As far as I know,groundhogs are the only critter we have that digs dens-dens that are used by rabbits,foxes and I've even seen tracks in the snow where quail used their holes. Haven't shot one in years and have actually live trapped a few around buildings and turned them loose on my farm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Careful what you wish for. I had seen no sign of groundhogs for 10 plus years, prior to the year before last.

Summer before last, I shot a young groundhog eyeing my garden, ready to proceed in.

Last year, a huge adult groundhog was plodding through the pasture parallel to the garden.

I'm wondering if the 2-3+ coyote kills that I've made over the past few years have paved the way for groundhogs that might have been coyote eaten in years past?

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I have several traps out on various company properties, inside the city limits, can't shoot here. Had one this morning, took him for a little ride out to the farm and carried out his sentence. Watermelon and baby carrots for bait, have been successful with cantaloupe in the past also. This is all across the river in Henderson, KY so I don't know if they "count" officially here.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I took one with a Barnett quad 400 crossbow in late deer season this year.
    My customer (property owner) has politely requested their removal.
    I hit mine broadside, from approximately 10 feet, with a 100gr Megameat broad head moving 340' per second.
    That thing cut a 2" hole clean through the groundhog, all but cutting it in half.
    It still ran about 15'.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    One of the best times of the year. Warmer weather with crops and such not grown too tall yet. Groundhogs are starting to show themselves in numbers here in NE Indiana. I hunt with an old Remington 700 ADL in .243.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Got one at 23yds with a pellet gun the other day. Tossed it in the slow cooker with some BBQ seasoning and made pulled ground hog bbq sandwiches for lunch at work.
    Got a young one in the freezer. Gonna slow cook it next week. I was gonna BBQ mine too.Always remove scent sacs under fat legs and on back.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Got a young one in the freezer. Gonna slow cook it next week. I was gonna BBQ mine too.Always remove scent sacs under fat legs and on back.
    That's a mistake you only make once, yuck.

I saw a couple young ones in the neighbors yard. Hes putting out live traps and I'll dispatch them if he catches any. Then it's straight to the slow cooker.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I got this bad boy this morning whille he was working on a new home underneath my storage shed

95 yd shot using 55 grain Sierra blitz king with my Remington 783

45f48866e4ba31a6e28195dfdd78dcf9.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    In the 70’s as a teenager the farmer across the field paid me $1 for every groundhog I killed. Started off with a single shot .22. Later I got a Remington 22-250 and a little hand loader. What fun. Decided I add just a little more powder, don’t ask me why, more is better right? Lol. Anyway couldn’t hit them anymore! I shoot 100 yards and couldn’t even hit a 3’ target! Shoot at 25 yds and bullseye. ??? Then shot at about 50 yards and have little shotgun like shrapnel in the 3’ target? What is going on?! So my Dads friend told me I was shooting too hot of loads and the lightweight bullet was disinigrating literally ! Guess he was right! I saved those loads for 30 yards or less. We hit groundhogs at close range and never an exit wound. They seemed to explode into nothing as soon as they hit something. Those were some fun days.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    In the 70’s as a teenager the farmer across the field paid me $1 for every groundhog I killed. Started off with a single shot .22. Later I got a Remington 22-250 and a little hand loader. What fun. Decided I add just a little more powder, don’t ask me why, more is better right? Lol. Anyway couldn’t hit them anymore! I shoot 100 yards and couldn’t even hit a 3’ target! Shoot at 25 yds and bullseye. ??? Then shot at about 50 yards and have little shotgun like shrapnel in the 3’ target? What is going on?! So my Dads friend told me I was shooting too hot of loads and the lightweight bullet was disinigrating literally ! Guess he was right! I saved those loads for 30 yards or less. We hit groundhogs at close range and never an exit wound. They seemed to explode into nothing as soon as they hit something. Those were some fun days.
    Read the "safety" part of the reloading manual. Keep shooting with ALL your fingers.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot 4 in two hours. No bugdope so.left before skeeter fest. Pic of chuck #1, only 150 yards off the bipod.

Did do a quick offhander at 85 on another adult. Scope was at 10x for all of em.

Dont use sling as shooting aid either.
    Prefer under 150 if going offhand or kneeling. Will use bipod as much as possible if i have time.

This was a walking hunt, no taking a stand.

IMG_20230528_152709700~2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom