• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    1st time this year on stand. Trying these new mechanical blades hyperdermic blades expand out 2” cut. Won’t ever use them again. Wack and pass through and blades in both sides snapped off and gone. Had good blood and bubbles for nearly 300 yards, then mostly blood for another 300 yards, after 900 yards and blood gone had to give up. Going back fixed blade muzzys. My thoughts hit a rib at entry and expanding blades broke off and just punched a hole and little cutting if at all.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    1st time this year on stand. Trying these new mechanical blades hyperdermic blades expand out 2” cut. Won’t ever use them again. Wack and pass through and blades in both sides snapped off and gone. Had good blood and bubbles for nearly 300 yards, then mostly blood for another 300 yards, after 900 yards and blood gone had to give up. Going back fixed blade muzzys. My thoughts hit a rib at entry and expanding blades broke off and just punched a hole and little cutting if at all.
    That sucks…… but if you had good blood and bubbles for 300yds do you really think they didn’t expand? Never used the ones you’re referring to but these “shwacker” 2 blade 2” cut lay them down. Not trying to start a debate “fixed vs mechanical”

How long did you wait to go check the arrow??

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    That sucks…… but if you had good blood and bubbles for 300yds do you really think they didn’t expand? Never used the ones you’re referring to but these “shwacker” 2 blade 2” cut lay them down. Not trying to start a debate “fixed vs mechanical”

How long did you wait to go check the arrow??
    Never found any cut hair also. I stayed in stand a good 30 minutes, deer never bedded and I never caught up or jumped it. Took my time, just kept thinking it can’t be much farther. After 300 yards I was wondering what was going on. But already knew in my gut this was too far.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Never found any cut hair also. I stayed in stand a good 30 minutes, deer never bedded and I never caught up or jumped it. Took my time, just kept thinking it can’t be much farther. After 300 yards I was wondering what was going on. But already knew in my gut this was too far.
    That is crazy to me to have GOOD blood with bubbles…… and not find it after tracking that far. I have had a lung clipped and a fat back shot. That had bubbles and “good” blood but it was just a clipped single lung and a gut shot. Tracked that thing FOREVER. Finally found it bedded at water and needed a follow up shot (8hrs later and over 1 mile tracked met all my neighbors though nice people lol)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was a bit chilly for this mornings squirrel inventory.
    Got down after a couple hrs, and smelled a buck. That sweet smell.
    Yup, 2 scrapes by acorn flat.
    Might put a camera there, just to see if anything comes by.
    Where the bucks run later in season, that aint it.

Corn and beans up, so not exactly great where we hunt.
    Comes down and we start seein deer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got out yesterday afternoon for the first time. We were headed to the stand when we heard an obnoxiously loud ATV ripping through the east side of our farm. Called the neighbor and he's out of town with his family but his 18yo nephew is staying there. Stopped him a few minutes later tearing down the road and confirmed it was him and confirmed that he'd just taken a couple of hot laps around the place, to include the 15 acres my hunting partner just bought from this kid's mom a two months ago.

This is one area where the law falls pathetically short. My best friend has well over $300,000 invested and we've spent thousands of hours working and improving this place so that we can do something we look forward to year round. Only to have what is typically one of the best days of the year (the first hunt) completely ruined by an inconsiderate moron who, if we were the type to call the law would suffer nothing more than an apology. As I've stated many times, it should be legal to beat them with a stick until they can escape leave your property. That is the only way most will learn or bother showing respect for other's property.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Had the same thing happen with rear deploying rages more than once. Now I use fixed or front deploying only. Have had amazing success with NAP spitfires.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have never used expanding broadheads for deer. My old Wasp Boss SST 100 gr. fixed blade heads have served me very well with 8 deer. Of course, they are as old as my 17 year old Pearson Bulldog bow. The new version is the Wasp Bullet. I was stacking arrows at 42 yards (my bottom pin) this evening, so I have faith in the setup. Now all I have to do is get a nice buck or a turkey to stand still long enough for a shot. ;)

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got out yesterday afternoon for the first time. We were headed to the stand when we heard an obnoxiously loud ATV ripping through the east side of our farm. Called the neighbor and he's out of town with his family but his 18yo nephew is staying there. Stopped him a few minutes later tearing down the road and confirmed it was him and confirmed that he'd just taken a couple of hot laps around the place, to include the 15 acres my hunting partner just bought from this kid's mom a two months ago.

This is one area where the law falls pathetically short. My best friend has well over $300,000 invested and we've spent thousands of hours working and improving this place so that we can do something we look forward to year round. Only to have what is typically one of the best days of the year (the first hunt) completely ruined by an inconsiderate moron who, if we were the type to call the law would suffer nothing more than an apology. As I've stated many times, it should be legal to beat them with a stick until they can escape leave your property. That is the only way most will learn or bother showing respect for other's property.

That a tough way to start the season. I've got new neighbors on my southern border. Got about every other tree with purple paint on it, but the reality is every hour I spend on patrol is an hour away from hunting.

I did see some new scrapes this AM while out.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Had the same thing happen to my daughter and I some years ago. Had a talk with the gentleman. I'm not sure the deer really care though if it keeps going.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yrs ago I got into stand early afternoon and soon after the landowner's kid and a bud started rippin through the woods on the Jeep trail. Two quads, this went on for about 2 hours, multiple loops past my stand. I was maybe 35 or so yards off a corner of their loop.

Deafening.

They quit right before dark.

Heard em loading up and saw a decent 9 pt step onto the Jeep trail and look back the direction theyd been coming on each loop.

Crossed about 50 yards from me.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I got out this afternoon for about 5 hours. Public land. I didn’t see anything, but also didn’t see other hunters, which is good

Top Bottom