• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    How far do you sit from your caller? I'm typically 60-80 yards. Should I be farther? Does anyone sit their caller right next to them? Seems like that could draw unwanted attention to your position, but also would avoid exposing yourself when you walk out to place it.
    In regards to caller placement…distance probably not as important as wind direction….some cover/concealment for you is second. Coyotes can keenly smell and see. Consider those two things first and place accordingly.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I have a couple loud & quality Bluetooth speakers - anyone just use that? Maybe a rabbit fur tied on a stake for visual. I find it hard to justify the price of good callers

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    How far do you sit from your caller? I'm typically 60-80 yards. Should I be farther? Does anyone sit their caller right next to them? Seems like that could draw unwanted attention to your position, but also would avoid exposing yourself when you walk out to place it.
    If I'm in the woods maybe 20 yards. If a field edge then a little further, around 50.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    In regards to caller placement…distance probably not as important as wind direction….some cover/concealment for you is second. Coyotes can keenly smell and see. Consider those two things first and place accordingly.
    Definitely. They catch even a hint of scent and bye bye.

On the way to work this morning there was a good sized adult with a couple smaller ones in the hay field across from my place. Neighbor has lost a couple of calves over the years and is more than happy to let me sit in his shed. Guess where I'll be this weekend?

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    +1 = 31
    Should've been 2 but I missed the 1st one AGAIN!! I put a new gun together this year and it's been a tack driver when sighting it in. I have a sneaking suspicion that it throws the cold bore shot way off the mark.

Attachments

• 20231104_071157.jpg
      20231104_071157.jpg
      844.8 KB · Views: 5

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    What did you build?
    Side charging 6.5 grendel. When I was working up a load with normal optics on it , it was doing 5 shot groups around .80moa. I was happy with the second one I worked up , so I quit.
    I guess I need to dive into cold bore vs. Warm bore groups because this sucks. 2 misses and a horrible kill all on cold bores. Warm bore has been perfect

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A grendel is a great gun. I liked mine, but I wanted flatter at longer distance. The downside is my gun is much heavier than the Grendel. I never reloaded, but the 123sst was very accurate. I switched to federal 90 grain tnt. They were a hair less accurate, but they were much cheaper and most shots were drt.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    +1 = 32 Hubby is still out there so the count may go up some more.

We have our work cut out for us here. This is a roadkill deer that we picked up Thursday...already demolished.

STC_1660.JPG

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A friend and I killed two last night. A male and female around the Greenwood area. They were fat; they've been eating good. Video below is feed from his thermal. About 220 yards, estimated.

VAE7eQJ.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I will do that. I had trouble with accuracy on a different upper from them and never really got any satisfaction. They make no guarantee on moa. I ended up just returning it and went a different route
    I’ve always had at least a slight variation between the first round loaded and subsequent rounds fed via the action of the rifle. I leave a round chambered in my rifle all the time for this reason and it definitely reduces the variation.

I shot a coyote two weeks ago but misjudged the distance and hit him in the front leg. Neighbor saw him a few days ago with the rest of its family. Hopefully I’ll get another shot at him, I need to spend some time with the range finding/judging capabilities of my thermal.

Top Bottom