• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I typically set up on the edge of a field, lots of open area to scan. I think this is the common practice. Has anyone had success hunting in the woods, as is more common whitetail hunting? Field of view would be reduced, but I wonder if it might be easier to get a yote to investigate a call where it feels more protected as opposed to out in the open, exposed. Or is this a flawed theory?
    Daytime calling I prefer thicker cover areas. I also prefer an elevated position. We get use to watching all these calling shows…most of which are out west…where dogs are traveling hundreds of yards to a call. I’ve found, at least in Indiana, they are much less likely to just come running in across a big open field during daylight hours.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I typically set up on the edge of a field, lots of open area to scan. I think this is the common practice. Has anyone had success hunting in the woods, as is more common whitetail hunting? Field of view would be reduced, but I wonder if it might be easier to get a yote to investigate a call where it feels more protected as opposed to out in the open, exposed. Or is this a flawed theory?
    Do you hunt at night or day?
    A good chunk of my hunting is done in the woods, late evenings and early morning. Have tried it at night but with my current night vision setup it just doesn't work.
    Yes, field of view and visible range are reduced, and ears become important, I've got a set of amplified ear pro I wear to help out. Not necessarily listening for the yote, but what the other woods dwellers are saying. Can't tell you how many coyotes I wouldn't have known were there if a squirrel didn't start barking at it, or a murder of crows didn't start a ruckus. Also pay attention to the other woods critters, like a deer looking back down their path while moving in a business like fashion.
    I haven't really noticed a difference with the coyote being less wary, unless they are a young one. Honestly I don't think there is such a thing as an unwary coyote. And during the light hours they are even more wary and will spook at the slightest unnatural sound or movement.
    Also you have to pay very close attention to the wind and movement since the ranges are going to be shorter. I wear full camo and facepaint. Also use some scent reduction spray and cover scents.
    Shotguns work well as Rookie said, used one for years before going to a light weight AR. IIRC my average shot at a woods yote is in the neighborhood of 20-30 yards. I like to look 'em in the eye before I poke it out! :laugh:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Been a while since we've had one added. Might be getting time to get the scopes checked and get out myself.
    Had two way too close to the house. Very limited shooting lanes. One got off the property. The other was coming right at me lol. Shot at less than 20 yards. They’ve been active. I learned I need a better bullet for the 223. I have test loads ready, just haven’t had the chance to shoot them yet. The thermal went back on the 6.8 for now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've been hearing them a lot during the night lately. I sleep through their singing most nights, but hubby said they were really making some noise a couple nights ago.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Had two way too close to the house. Very limited shooting lanes. One got off the property. The other was coming right at me lol. Shot at less than 20 yards. They’ve been active. I learned I need a better bullet for the 223. I have test loads ready, just haven’t had the chance to shoot them yet. The thermal went back on the 6.8 for now.
    Did you check his teeth before you shot? :laugh: That's getting up close and personal! What kind of bullets are you using and what problems they causing?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Didn’t have time to check his teeth or hit record. Video would’ve been cool, chunks flying.
    Missouri varmint grenade or something to that affect. I know, not a coyote bullet. My first AR really liked them accuracy wise, so still have some loaded up. The current 223 AR is less picky I think. So far it has shot everything better than I am capable of. I have test loads ready for 55 sp and hp and 62 or 69 bullets(can’t remember off the top of my head) as well.
    The 6.8 really likes the 90gr Speer Gold Dot. It is so so with the 110 V-Max, but I have a few hundred to use up. We will see how the V-Max does around the end of the month. Heading to a relatives cattle farm to try to thin out the coyotes some.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    You need a LGD no worries about collateral damage. Plus saves on feed cost.

But back to the regularly scheduled post but wouldn’t most any 223 suffice ?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    You need a LGD no worries about collateral damage. Plus saves on feed cost.

But back to the regularly scheduled post but wouldn’t most any 223 suffice ?
    Can’t let dogs run loose. The road I live on is way to busy and used as a cut through. The would be road pizza in short order.
    Had a beagle eaten on a run less than 20 yards from my bedroom window. That’s what got me into coyote hunting to start with.

As far as caliber goes, 223 should be enough, with proper bullet selection. Admittedly, I used a poor choice of bullet. I have a better bullet option already tested and loaded for my 6.8. So it was easier to swap scopes than develop a new load.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can’t let dogs run loose. The road I live on is way to busy and used as a cut through. The would be road pizza in short order.
    Had a beagle eaten on a run less than 20 yards from my bedroom window. That’s what got me into coyote hunting to start with.

As far as caliber goes, 223 should be enough, with proper bullet selection. Admittedly, I used a poor choice of bullet. I have a better bullet option already tested and loaded for my 6.8. So it was easier to swap scopes than develop a new load.
    Indeed not advocating for dogs at large, our place is triple gated and cross fenced.

lately we have had a problem with foxes well perhaps not a problem any more with them coming up by the house from across the holler.

Sorry to hear about the beagle. LGD,s are pretty amazing, we have not lost a single Kid since their arrival. Otis even took out a Hawk that was going after a newborn. I am not sure how he knew perhaps smell but it was game over in short order.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby picked up a roadkill buck Monday for bait. Went out Wednesday to check to see if anything had hit it yet, and it was gone. The only thing still there was the head and it was down to mostly bones. The rib cage was still there but picked clean. The rest had been drug off. He is getting things set to start going out but hasn't hunted yet.

Nice job, Rookie!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I saw a dead one on US 30 yesterday. I don't think that counts as one on here, but it is interesting how many I see hit on the roads the past few years. The second deer carcass was already gone yesterday. I need to find more road kills. Need to call my dispatcher friend at the county.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I saw a dead one on US 30 yesterday. I don't think that counts as one on here, but it is interesting how many I see hit on the roads the past few years. The second deer carcass was already gone yesterday. I need to find more road kills. Need to call my dispatcher friend at the county.
    IMG_20231018_081551794.jpg
    25. Little brother's first in a trap.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    How far do you sit from your caller? I'm typically 60-80 yards. Should I be farther? Does anyone sit their caller right next to them? Seems like that could draw unwanted attention to your position, but also would avoid exposing yourself when you walk out to place it.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    How far do you sit from your caller? I'm typically 60-80 yards. Should I be farther? Does anyone sit their caller right next to them? Seems like that could draw unwanted attention to your position, but also would avoid exposing yourself when you walk out to place it.
    I've done both. Usually 50 yds away.

Top Bottom