KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Could be. I wonder if he’s working the phones figuring out if there will be enough will to work up an override. Maybe he’s trying to figure out if his ISP supt. will still be his BFF if he signs it. :)
    I'm thinking ISP Sup Dougie has political aspirations. I predicted Eric would back-stab Braun and support Carter for Gov in 2024. I ran this by one of my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCES and he basically asked me what I was smoking.

It would make sense... sign the bill and then back-stab Braun as payback for apparently turning his back on his BFF. Or maybe I'm smoking something...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm thinking ISP Sup Dougie has political aspirations. I predicted Eric would back-stab Braun and support Carter for Gov in 2024. I ran this by one of my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCES and he basically asked me what I was smoking.

It would make sense... sign the bill and then back-stab Braun as payback for apparently turning his back on his BFF. Or maybe I'm smoking something...
    If it’s true that most Hoosiers do not support constitutional carry (as was asserted during one of the debates), he may be doing the calculus of the long term damage a veto may or may not do.

wonder if they’ve done any polling on this?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    @KellyinAvon were you up at Purdue that time when me, @cbhausen, and @Kirk Freeman were at that one sided (unfairly moderated) debate with Shannon Watts and the Mommys? Kirk got shouted down because they asked him if he was an NRA member, then they cut the debate off before any of us got to say ****. But so few of their people showed up that we all ended up feasting on the pizza that Mayor Bloomberg bought. One of those little *****es said she hoped we choked on it. :laugh::laugh::laugh: It was an epic night.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @KellyinAvon were you up at Purdue that time when me, @cbhausen, and @Kirk Freeman were at that one sided (unfairly moderated) debate with Shannon Watts and the Mommys? Kirk got shouted down because they asked him if he was an NRA member, then they cut the debate off before any of us got to say ****. But so few of their people showed up that we all ended up feasting on the pizza that Mayor Bloomberg bought. One of those little *****es said she hoped we choked on it. :laugh::laugh::laugh: It was an epic night.
    No, I would have remembered that!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey Eric!! SIGN THE BILL!!! Email and phone info in the attached link. The part in bold works for the phone message, did for me yesterday!

MONTGOMERY – Governor Kay Ivey on March 10th signed House Bill 272, known as the constitutional carry bill, into law, defending law abiding Alabamians’ Second Amendment rights.

“Unlike states who are doing everything in their power to make it harder for law abiding citizens, Alabama is reaffirming our commitment to defending our Second Amendment rights,” said Governor Ivey. “I have always stood up for the rights of law abiding gunowners, and I am proud to do that again today.”
    In April 2019 at the NRA Annual Meeting of Members you said, “Removing any and all barriers for lawful carry in our state is significant for the many Hoosier gun owners who want to protect themselves and others.”
    In 2019 you sounded a lot like Governor Ivey did last week.

Sign HEA 1296 into law.

Send our governor a friendly reminder to sign it…TODAY.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sent to me in confidence I would not reveal the identity of the author. Feel free to TELL Eric...

Dear Gov. Holcomb,
    You have had on your desk HEA 1296, Firearms Matters, for over 24 hours. This bill is one of which you were aware very early in the legislative session, as evidenced by your efforts to kill it before it reached your desk.
    The language was thoroughly vetted in committee, despite the committee chair's obviously vehement objection to its passage. The bill passed the committees in which it was heard, and finally came to the floors of the chambers, where it passed handily.
    The decision now rests with you: Do you want to sign it and make it law on July 1, 2022, or do you want to end your political career, because there aren't many Republicans who will vote for you if you don't sign it into law. I suppose you might find yourself welcome amongst the Democrats. I feel certain that the next meeting of the General Assembly will pass it into law over your veto, should you choose the latter, so a pyrrhic victory at best.
    Choose wisely,and thank you for doing so.
    It's not signed yet, foot through the firewall!!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Bump 2, Electric Boogaloo (bold works for leaving a message at 317-232-4567)

Hey Eric!! SIGN THE BILL!!! Email and phone info in the attached link. The part in bold works for the phone message, did for me yesterday!

MONTGOMERY – Governor Kay Ivey on March 10th signed House Bill 272, known as the constitutional carry bill, into law, defending law abiding Alabamians’ Second Amendment rights.

“Unlike states who are doing everything in their power to make it harder for law abiding citizens, Alabama is reaffirming our commitment to defending our Second Amendment rights,” said Governor Ivey. “I have always stood up for the rights of law abiding gunowners, and I am proud to do that again today.”

In April 2019 at the NRA Annual Meeting of Members you said, “Removing any and all barriers for lawful carry in our state is significant for the many Hoosier gun owners who want to protect themselves and others.”
    In 2019 you sounded a lot like Governor Ivey did last week.

Sign HEA 1296 into law.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Right so constitutional carry would replace the LTCH and can still carry in stores as long as it's allowed by that store? And just pulled out the grill today from the shed for a BBQ this weekend haha.
    "No guns" signs don't carry the force of law in Indiana (unlike, say, OH or TX). The owner can trespass you (demand you leave), and you can be cited for failing to comply with the trespass (generally, that involves the owner calling the police, the police saying, "you've been trespassed and must leave", and you still refusing). But simply ignoring a "no guns" sign is not an inherent violation of any state statute.

EDIT: people actually put their grills away during the winter? Both my grill and my smoker see year-round use.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I completely agree and get the point. 7 helps me understand but there have been people in Virginia who applied and didn't realize they had a warrant for their arrest due to things like failure to appear. They went to buy a gun and the state police showed up at the gun store. Not knowing they had a failure to appear warrant. Might be different here. It's not a failing process. I don't agree we should have to do anything But if you can pass a background check to buy you should be able to carry without a permit once the law passes. From what I'm reading, if you own a gun you still have to be eligible to carry. The eligibility to carry should be voided if the state is CC I'm just confused as to why one wouldn't be able to get a permit yet, still be able to legally purchase or own a firearm.

I understand now. What I was trying to say (in my head) was If you can pass the background check by filling out a 4473, that's all it should take. The law still in effect makes no sense. The fingerprint process, waiting on approval at local and state levels but you can walk in, fill out a 4473 and walk out with a gun in 5 minutes seems ridiculous. I understand section 7 now better but I don't agree with that reading. The eligibility or ineligibility to carry should be voided if the state is Constitutional Carry AND you are legally able to purchase a gun. I read into this bill too much.

To me, Constitutional Carry represents the right to carry whether you're able to get a permit or not. If I can buy a gun legally, I should be able to carry. No permit needed. "The right to keep and bear arms" is not also, "The right to keep and bear arms in your house only" I have that right to keep and bear anywhere I wish. So to say, sure you can buy a gun legally but you can't carry it because you aren't eligible, permit or not, for some reason, doesn't sit well with me.
    Part of the issue here, I think, is that "possess" and "carry" are two different things. RKBA is two things: the right to "keep" (possess) and the right to "bear" (carry). Licensing has pretty much always dealt with the latter.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If it’s true that most Hoosiers do not support constitutional carry (as was asserted during one of the debates), he may be doing the calculus of the long term damage a veto may or may not do.

wonder if they’ve done any polling on this?
    I would think that seeing almost 12% of his gubernatorial support bleeding off to the Libertarian candidate in 2020 would be meaningful "poll results", but in a state where that still leads to an overwhelmingly landslide victory (Drinkwater more or less cut Holcomb's victory margin over the hapless Democrat in half), I'm not sure that would be enough for him to read the tea leaves.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    The new bill is probably reading like many other states that have Constitutional Carry lots of people probably asking similar questions. Of course, if you aren't eligible to carry, you probably know so and won't be able to. The wording seems to have confused a lot of us but bottom line, if YOU are eligible, you know and can if you want and ensuring you know all the other laws involving carry if out and about. Now, having lived in VA for a long time, I read the laws there in and out. I'll have to brush up more on Indiana now that I'm back. I left at 18 so didn't care much nor would it have been something an 18-year-old joining the military like myself would have looked into. We didn't have internet back then to gain easy access to such things either.

Now, my question would be to anyone with actual legal knowledge or experience, In the case of having a UTAH or Florida permit, I read currently on USCCA if you have a Utah permit, it's without restrictions for Indiana reciprocity. Permitless carry allowed but I can't find anything that shows that you have to have an Indiana permit to get the Utah permit. If that makes sense. I had a Utah permit when I lived in VA but Utah has restrictions for VA. You had to have a resident permit. Does this mean, you can get a Utah permit without having an Indiana permit? Might be the wrong thread to ask these questions but if we end up going to permitless carry and the fact Marion County has now taken 8 months to get me a resident permit, I might just go renew my Utah one and forget the Indiana permit. If that's possible.

For the Florida permit, you can get that permit but you must have an Indiana resident permit. Will that change if the CC law is passed or will you still have to have the Indiana permit?

As for legislation, I think RINO Holcomb is just going to let the bill sit. I'll be surprised if he signs it and surprised if he VETOs. There's other things in the bill outside CC and if he has any political future, if he signs he'll have disapproval from those who are against it and if he VETOS he'll have those who support it against him. Letting it sit and become law will seem like a win-win for him.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would think that seeing almost 12% of his gubernatorial support bleeding off to the Libertarian candidate in 2020 would be meaningful "poll results", but in a state where that still leads to an overwhelmingly landslide victory (Drinkwater more or less cut Holcomb's victory margin over the hapless Democrat in half), I'm not sure that would be enough for him to read the tea leaves.
    Yeah…

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just hit “Ask Eric” again with a fresh approach:

Please sign HEA1296 into law PROMPTLY. We Hoosiers are watching! Us, the “good guys”. Not the criminals. Criminals don’t care whether this law passes or not. We do! Permitless carry is trending (most recently in our neighbor Ohio), with no evidence of the dire consequences it is always predicted to bring by law enforcement administrators and gun control groups. Don’t let our State be branded as one impeding this movement. Many of us have worked for years to bring a permitless carry bill to an Indiana Governor’s desk. And we won’t stop until we achieve our goal because, quite frankly, we know our cause is just and objections are nothing more than bogus hyperbole.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The new bill is probably reading like many other states that have Constitutional Carry lots of people probably asking similar questions. Of course, if you aren't eligible to carry, you probably know so and won't be able to. The wording seems to have confused a lot of us but bottom line, if YOU are eligible, you know and can if you want and ensuring you know all the other laws involving carry if out and about. Now, having lived in VA for a long time, I read the laws there in and out. I'll have to brush up more on Indiana now that I'm back. I left at 18 so didn't care much nor would it have been something an 18-year-old joining the military like myself would have looked into. We didn't have internet back then to gain easy access to such things either.

Now, my question would be to anyone with actual legal knowledge or experience, In the case of having a UTAH or Florida permit, I read currently on USCCA if you have a Utah permit, it's without restrictions for Indiana reciprocity. Permitless carry allowed but I can't find anything that shows that you have to have an Indiana permit to get the Utah permit. If that makes sense. I had a Utah permit when I lived in VA but Utah has restrictions for VA. You had to have a resident permit. Does this mean, you can get a Utah permit without having an Indiana permit? Might be the wrong thread to ask these questions but if we end up going to permitless carry and the fact Marion County has now taken 8 months to get me a resident permit, I might just go renew my Utah one and forget the Indiana permit. If that's possible.

For the Florida permit, you can get that permit but you must have an Indiana resident permit. Will that change if the CC law is passed or will you still have to have the Indiana permit?

As for legislation, I think RINO Holcomb is just going to let the bill sit. I'll be surprised if he signs it and surprised if he VETOs. There's other things in the bill outside CC and if he has any political future, if he signs he'll have disapproval from those who are against it and if he VETOS he'll have those who support it against him. Letting it sit and become law will seem like a win-win for him.
    IN recognizes UT's permit, so you have to have a IN license to qualify for a UT one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom