• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Are orange safety vests not required in Indiana?

I figure I'd at least need some better hiking boots and wool socks. My winter gloves are too old and need replacements.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

I figure I'd at least need some better hiking boots and wool socks. My winter gloves are too old and need replacements.
    Required on public land but not private I believe

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Just got home from the cabin. Deer were out, just mostly at night. Tight as ticks in the swamps around me.
    The weather folks were calling for 9-12" of snow. They may be right! If I had not run out of propane this morning I would have stayed and watched it come. View attachment 237204 View attachment 237205
    my dream! Maybe someday I will have a cabin in the woods or swamp

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do you mean they were shot, wounded, and still moving about?
    No.
    They were both being dragged out of the woods by the hunters.
    They dragged those deer more than 1-1/2 miles!
    One was on a plastic sled but the other was being dragged across the ground.
    Kind of wondered if there was any hair left on that side by the time he got to his truck.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette

Required on public land but not private I believe
    Orange hat is all that's required unless they changed it.
    Hunter orange isn't required on public land till gun season is open. I bow hunt with out it till gun season starts.

Per the dnr website

"When must a deer hunter wear orange?

Hunter orange is required for all deer hunters during Youth, Firearm, Muzzleloader, or Special Antlerless Firearm season. Hunter orange must be worn at all times during the hunt, including walking to and from the hunting location. A good rule of thumb is: if it's any kind of firearms season, and you have your hunting weapon with you, you need to be wearing hunter orange."

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Learning lots here, ty for all the wisdom and info.

Looks like the first thing I need to get going on is to start reading all the applicable laws/regs related to hunting, not to mention a license.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    On the State Park reduction hunts they require two pieces of clothing that are 100%hunters orange.
    Hat and vest
    Oh. My bad, I thought we were talking about the general firearms season. That's what I get for not reading through a couple pages first.
    I've only been on one hunt @ Ft. Harrison. I stayed long enough for a guy to go up a tree 30 yards away knowing I was there. I got down, went to Camp Atterbury and killed a nice buck. I have not been on a State Park Hunt since.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Learning lots here, ty for all the wisdom and info.

Looks like the first thing I need to get going on is to start reading all the applicable laws/regs related to hunting, not to mention a license.
    One other thing I didn't see mentioned already. If you are born after December 31, 1986 you are required to take a hunter education course.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    LOL

I don't think that applies to me! I'm an old fart.

Regardless, it might be something I should do just for the education.

I took a nieghbor kid (with absent father) who had to have the class to hunt. It was very informative. Worth the time. So take a kid.

That said, the class I was in years ago could have been MUCH better at firearms handling safety. One of the three conservation officer "instructors" handed his pride and joy Benelli to a little kid barely able to hold it. The kid promptly swept the whole class twice trying to keep the barrel off the floor. :xmad:

That aside, the class was informative. Hopefully the DNR has learned from mistakes like the above.

Top Bottom