• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Having grown up in a non-gun household in the city, I've never been hunting and other than a 5.56 AR & a 12GA have no firearms capable (legal in IN) for hunting. I'm not sure if I really want or not but it seems like something I should experience at least once just to know how it's done and learn how to harvest my own food - just in case.

Watching the sportsman channel I've seen hunts for Moose, Elk, etc. and wonder how you get a 500lbs+ animal out of the bush, they never show that part.

May next year I'll find someone willing to take a newbie along to watch and learn.
    1) Love the avatar
    2) 12 ga is legal equipment loaded with slugs
    3) get another upper in a deer legal caliber and the AR is good
    4) everybody started somewhere, sometime. Some were lucky enough to have a teacher. Some taught themselves.
    5) get out and enjoy the outdoors

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    1) Love the avatar
    2) 12 ga is legal equipment loaded with slugs
    3) get another upper in a deer legal caliber and the AR is good
    4) everybody started somewhere, sometime. Some were lucky enough to have a teacher. Some taught themselves.
    5) get out and enjoy the outdoors
    I killed my first dozen deer with a 12ga slug.
    That was all that was allowed when I first started hunting deer.
    My family did not have guns.
    My uncle did, and I admired them from afar, but never handled them.

I bought my first 12ga (Mossberg 500) and my first .22lr (Marlin model Glenfield 60 w/squirrel on stock) shortly after being discharged from the Marines.
    I decide on my own that I wanted to hunt deer but had no mentor and didn't know a soul who hunted deer at the time.
    I had a boss that agreed to allow me to hunt his farm near Earl Park in about 1981 or '82.

I took my faithful Mossberg out loaded with Breineke magnum slugs and dropped a 9 pointer on day 2.
    I took my prize to a friends house to help me butcher.
    All of a sudden he said, "Holy crap, how far away were you when you shot him?"
    I told him I had been sitting in a tree stand about 12-15' above the trail that the buck was on.

I asked him why and he showed me the slug he dug out of the far shoulder.
    It still had the wad attached!
    I still have that slug, that wad, and the European mount skull.

That was dozens of seasons and deer ago, and I'll never stop until I'm no longer able to hunt.

I have not purchased beef for my freezer in more than 45 years.
    I always have venison in my freezer and hunting season each year is my mental vacation.
    It is by far my favorite pastime, even if the hunt is unsuccessful.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, the first day of the late state park reduction hunt at Prophets Town state park was a complete bust.
    I sat out in the woods all day and didn't see a single deer.
    I didn't even hear a shot!
    When I checked out at the main gate the attendant asked if I had taken a shot and I told her I didn't even see anything to shoot.
    She told me that she didn't know what was going on but there was only 1 deer checked out for the entire day!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I killed my first dozen deer with a 12ga slug.
    That was all that was allowed when I first started hunting deer.
    My family did not have guns.
    My uncle did, and I admired them from afar, but never handled them.

I bought my first 12ga (Mossberg 500) and my first .22lr (Marlin model Glenfield 60 w/squirrel on stock) shortly after being discharged from the Marines.
    I decide on my own that I wanted to hunt deer but had no mentor and didn't know a soul who hunted deer at the time.
    I had a boss that agreed to allow me to hunt his farm near Earl Park in about 1981 or '82.

I took my faithful Mossberg out loaded with Breineke magnum slugs and dropped a 9 pointer on day 2.
    I took my prize to a friends house to help me butcher.
    All of a sudden he said, "Holy crap, how far away were you when you shot him?"
    I told him I had been sitting in a tree stand about 12-15' above the trail that the buck was on.

I asked him why and he showed me the slug he dug out of the far shoulder.
    It still had the wad attached!
    I still have that slug, that wad, and the European mount skull.

That was dozens of seasons and deer ago, and I'll never stop until I'm no longer able to hunt.

I have not purchased beef for my freezer in more than 45 years.
    I always have venison in my freezer and hunting season each year is my mental vacation.
    It is by far my favorite pastime, even if the hunt is unsuccessful.
    My family had long guns. We weren’t allowed to touch them as kids. Around 10, give or take a couple of years, I begged my dad to take me rabbit hunting. He finally caved and we went, no dog. Guess who got to kick the brush? I was hooked. Got my first gun at 12, a used Savage 24 in 22/410. A lot of squirrels fell to that gun.
    At 15-16 I took an old Stevens 20 single shot deer hunting with some cousins that always made the trip to my uncles place to deer hunt. Killed a little 5 point with that.
    At 18 I had to have a 12 gauge pump. So to K-Mart I went, came home with a brand spanking new 870 magnum. They were out of Wingmasters that day. That gun coupled with a smooth bore slug barrel took a lot of deer over the years. As well as anything else I could shoot with the vent rib.
    Wife, kid, loss of private property to hunt and I gave up deer hunting for awhile. Tried state land and was too scared to stay out their opening weekend of firearms season.
    Divorce, new wife and a few years later I am blessed enough to have two farms to deer hunt. So of course I had to “upgrade”. Taken many deer with the Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. Now we are allowed to use high power rifle. Another upgrade was in order. Started using an AR15 in 6.8 SPC. I never thought I would enjoy hunting with an AR, but I love it.
    Have kept deer in the freezer for more than a few years now. Made new friends along the way. And best of all reconnected with my son the past couple of years when he finally decided he wanted to try deer hunting.
    Deer hunting is about so much more than killing deer to me. It gives me a connection and bond to others that might not be there if not for the hunt.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, the first day of the late state park reduction hunt at Prophets Town state park was a complete bust.
    I sat out in the woods all day and didn't see a single deer.
    I didn't even hear a shot!
    When I checked out at the main gate the attendant asked if I had taken a shot and I told her I didn't even see anything to shoot.
    She told me that she didn't know what was going on but there was only 1 deer checked out for the entire day!
    Fort Harrison was the same, slow day. Not many deer seen. Seems like the early hunts got alot of deer this year. Have to wait for more deer to move in over the winter.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Zip for me at Prophet's Town.
    I saw 2 deer, but they had already been shot by the time I saw them.
    I didn't even hear a shot in 2 days time.
    Gate guard said they took 30 deer on the early hunt.
    She also said normal average is about 20, so the early hunt took more than expected.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    She also said normal average is about 20, so the early hunt took more than expected.

Do you mean they were shot, wounded, and still moving about?

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah, dnr guy said average is 40-50 for the 4 days for ft Harrison. They got 38 the early hunt.
    There were only had 2 deer taken today.
    Less than 10 total the for the 2 days. 70 ppl yesterday tried.

I saw 3 doe's moving fast but not sprinting today. 85 yards(range finder) to far for a bow. Saw nothing yesterday.

I was a late prophets town couple years ago. No deer taken the first day. Sustained winds of 25mph+ with gusts in the 40mph range, Deer weren't moving.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Having grown up in a non-gun household in the city, I've never been hunting and other than a 5.56 AR & a 12GA have no firearms capable (legal in IN) for hunting. I'm not sure if I really want or not but it seems like something I should experience at least once just to know how it's done and learn how to harvest my own food - just in case.

Watching the sportsman channel I've seen hunts for Moose, Elk, etc. and wonder how you get a 500lbs+ animal out of the bush, they never show that part.

May next year I'll find someone willing to take a newbie along to watch and learn.
    In case nobody answered you....big animals like moose & elk you generally "quarter" them and put in bags in the field. Then you pack the quarters out.....

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I doubt I will ever hunt for anything that large, but it is enlightening to see.

If I do ever hunt I'm sure I will start small like squirrel and rabbit (I know I enjoy eating rabbit since I used to go with my FIL to the Shelbyville rabbit stag the night before every t-giving for years).

I will need to get over the "squeamishness" of dealing with fresh kill since I haven't the luxury of starting young and being introduced to hunting as a child, something I'm sure many of you have.

Thanks for all the helpful and supportive replies, hunting has long been a mystery to me.

My girlfriend's family are all hunters as they own several hundred acres in the Perry county area. Her ex-husband recently returned from a bear hunt in Canada and her son and younger brother have all hunted throughout their lives. They may take me next year when the next season starts. I'll likely need to acquire the necessary clothing and equipment to accompany them so I am prepared when the time comes.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I doubt I will ever hunt for anything that large, but it is enlightening to see.

If I do ever hunt I'm sure I will start small like squirrel and rabbit (I know I enjoy eating rabbit since I used to go with my FIL to the Shelbyville rabbit stag the night before every t-giving for years).

I will need to get over the "squeamishness" of dealing with fresh kill since I haven't the luxury of starting young and being introduced to hunting as a child, something I'm sure many of you have.

Thanks for all the helpful and supportive replies, hunting has long been a mystery to me.

My girlfriend's family are all hunters as they own several hundred acres in the Perry county area. Her ex-husband recently returned from a bear hunt in Canada and her son and younger brother have all hunted throughout their lives. They may take me next year when the next season starts. I'll likely need to acquire the necessary clothing and equipment to accompany them so I am prepared when the time comes.
    Ppl hunted in jeans and red flannel for years. Dont worry abou spend bug bucks in camo. If anything, an outer layer of camo for cold temps. Cant see whats underneath. You can always looked used for stuff as well, ppl try once and resale alot.

Top Bottom