KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cross posted from The Gun Guy thread. Needless to say, this is not the time to take our foot off the gas. Emails and calls daily until it gets a hearing, or it's over.

Guy Relford, CEO of The2AProject, just sent the following email to Sen. Liz Brown (chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the senate) and Sen. Rodric Bray (president pro tem of the Indiana senate), with a copy to every Indiana state senator:
    --------------
    Re: The Second Amendment and HB 1369
    HB 1369 (Lawful Carry) passed by the overwhelming majority of 65-31 in the Indiana House of Representatives. Such strong bipartisan support was generated after a hearing in the Public Policy Committee in the House that established several indisputable facts:
    * HB 1369 does not change who can purchase a firearm, who can carry a handgun or where guns may be carried. Those persons who are prohibited from buying a gun or receiving a handgun license today will be "prohibited persons" who may not legally purchase or possess a handgun under HB 1369. HB 1369 has no effect on any "gun free zones" that exist today.
    * Constitutional Carry has now been adopted in 18 states and there is NO DATA to suggest it increases violent crime or danger to police officers on any way.
    * Criminals carry handguns without any concern for licensing requirements - those requirements only create an obstacle for law-abiding citizens that is simply ignored by criminals.
    * Most importantly: The right to bear arms is guaranteed to Hoosiers through the Second Amendment and Article I, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Law-abiding citizens should not have to beg permission from the government in order to exercise a Constitutional right already guaranteed to them by our founding fathers.
    Now, with only one possible date available for a hearing on HB 1369 in the Senate Judiciary Committee, the bill has still not been scheduled for a hearing. Those of us who have worked for years to obtain full and fair consideration of "Constitutional Carry" in the Indiana General Assembly - and were thrilled with the overwhelming and bipartisan victory in the House - find this inexplicable and unjustifiable.
    When we formed The 2A Project over a year ago, our primary goal was to become the preeminent state-level grass roots gun rights organization in Indiana. Since that time, we have developed a strong, motivated and active membership among Indiana voters. In addition, we have developed several key alliances with other gun rights organizations, including the National Rifle Associaton and the Indiana Rifle & Pistol Association. Together, we have identified HB 1369 as our top legislative priority in 2021.
    Another priority of The 2A Project is to hold Indiana legislators accountable when they fail to support pro-Second-Amendment legislation. In our system of evaluation, failure to advance a bill WITHOUT A HEARING OR A VOTE is substantially worse than a single vote against a bill on the floor of either chamber. In our view, the days of killing pro-2A bills behind closed doors in order to avoid a public vote (and public accountability) are over in Indiana. If HB 1369 dies in the Senate without a hearing, we will consider those responsible to be our opposition and we will react accordingly as we identify and support pro-2A candidates in future elections - emphasizing Republican primaries - and oppose those candidates (including incumbents) who have not demonstrated their support of the Second Amendment through their actions in the General Assembly. Giving lip service to support of the 2A while undermining pro-2A legislation will now be called out and communicated to voter bases at every opportunity - through every means of communication available.
    You are a Republican Senator and a leader in the Indiana General Assembly. We have unlimited respect for you and your offiice and The 2A Project would love to be your greatest ally and supporter. Whether we have that relationship or something different is entirely up to you. In this context, please give HB 1369 a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee. If you personally oppose it - vote against it (in committee or on the floor), but let it be heard. 65 Indiana Representatives think that should happen - and so do members of The 2A Project.
    I am always available to discuss these issues with you and I thank you for your consideration.
    Guy
    ----------------
    Guy A. Relford
    CEO, The 2A Project, Inc.
    1 S. Rangeline Road, Suite 110
    Carmel, IN 46032
    (317) 844-4297
    guy@The2AProject.com
    www.The2AProject.com
    The 2A Project
    www.twitter.com/The2AProject

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Cross posted from The Gun Guy thread. Needless to say, this is not the time to take our foot off the gas. Emails and calls daily until it gets a hearing, or it's over.

Guy Relford, CEO of The2AProject, just sent the following email to Sen. Liz Brown (chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the senate) and Sen. Rodric Bray (president pro tem of the Indiana senate), with a copy to every Indiana state senator:
    --------------
    Re: The Second Amendment and HB 1369
    HB 1369 (Lawful Carry) passed by the overwhelming majority of 65-31 in the Indiana House of Representatives. Such strong bipartisan support was generated after a hearing in the Public Policy Committee in the House that established several indisputable facts:
    * HB 1369 does not change who can purchase a firearm, who can carry a handgun or where guns may be carried. Those persons who are prohibited from buying a gun or receiving a handgun license today will be "prohibited persons" who may not legally purchase or possess a handgun under HB 1369. HB 1369 has no effect on any "gun free zones" that exist today.
    * Constitutional Carry has now been adopted in 18 states and there is NO DATA to suggest it increases violent crime or danger to police officers on any way.
    * Criminals carry handguns without any concern for licensing requirements - those requirements only create an obstacle for law-abiding citizens that is simply ignored by criminals.
    * Most importantly: The right to bear arms is guaranteed to Hoosiers through the Second Amendment and Article I, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Law-abiding citizens should not have to beg permission from the government in order to exercise a Constitutional right already guaranteed to them by our founding fathers.
    Now, with only one possible date available for a hearing on HB 1369 in the Senate Judiciary Committee, the bill has still not been scheduled for a hearing. Those of us who have worked for years to obtain full and fair consideration of "Constitutional Carry" in the Indiana General Assembly - and were thrilled with the overwhelming and bipartisan victory in the House - find this inexplicable and unjustifiable.
    When we formed The 2A Project over a year ago, our primary goal was to become the preeminent state-level grass roots gun rights organization in Indiana. Since that time, we have developed a strong, motivated and active membership among Indiana voters. In addition, we have developed several key alliances with other gun rights organizations, including the National Rifle Associaton and the Indiana Rifle & Pistol Association. Together, we have identified HB 1369 as our top legislative priority in 2021.
    Another priority of The 2A Project is to hold Indiana legislators accountable when they fail to support pro-Second-Amendment legislation. In our system of evaluation, failure to advance a bill WITHOUT A HEARING OR A VOTE is substantially worse than a single vote against a bill on the floor of either chamber. In our view, the days of killing pro-2A bills behind closed doors in order to avoid a public vote (and public accountability) are over in Indiana. If HB 1369 dies in the Senate without a hearing, we will consider those responsible to be our opposition and we will react accordingly as we identify and support pro-2A candidates in future elections - emphasizing Republican primaries - and oppose those candidates (including incumbents) who have not demonstrated their support of the Second Amendment through their actions in the General Assembly. Giving lip service to support of the 2A while undermining pro-2A legislation will now be called out and communicated to voter bases at every opportunity - through every means of communication available.
    You are a Republican Senator and a leader in the Indiana General Assembly. We have unlimited respect for you and your offiice and The 2A Project would love to be your greatest ally and supporter. Whether we have that relationship or something different is entirely up to you. In this context, please give HB 1369 a hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee. If you personally oppose it - vote against it (in committee or on the floor), but let it be heard. 65 Indiana Representatives think that should happen - and so do members of The 2A Project.
    I am always available to discuss these issues with you and I thank you for your consideration.
    Guy
    ----------------
    Guy A. Relford
    CEO, The 2A Project, Inc.
    1 S. Rangeline Road, Suite 110
    Carmel, IN 46032
    (317) 844-4297
    guy@The2AProject.com
    www.The2AProject.com
    The 2A Project
    www.twitter.com/The2AProject
    Thanks Kelly, this made me go join The 2a project.

Guy is correct, the days of letting these things die on the desk need to be ended.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I called again this morning and politely requested HB 1369 get a hearing. I did mention The 2A Project and our intention to hold our State Senators and Representatives responsible for their action (and inaction) regarding our State and Federal Constitutional 2A rights. I reminded the person taking the message and passing it to Senators Crane and Brown this Bill passed the Indiana House by a nearly 2-1 margin and deserves to be heard in the Senate. She assured me they will get the message.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I received a text from NRA (not NRA ILA, big NRA) urging me to call my state senator concerning HB1369. The last text I got from that number was to attend the annual meeting here in 2019. This just went out to all NRA members.

Just left a message for Bray, no wait!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Dup , But while I am here, call 317-232-9400, leave a message for Senator Brown to give HP 1369 a hearing.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jesus says to be iportinate.

Luke 18:3 And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. 18:4 And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; 18:5 Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. 18:6 And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.

Shared via Bible KJV http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyc.ace.kjv

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I love how Democrats get a single vote margin in their favor and they start shoving everything on their agenda (or as much as possible) down people's throats. The GOP gets a consistent margin in their favor in the Hoosier state and does shinola with it. Unless it meets Chamber of Commerce standards.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I hit this one a day or two ago. My state senator will be getting cranky. I think I have contacted him 3 times now since it went to the Senate.
    Haha, I do it 2-3 times a week. Mine is Bohacek, not sure who yours is, he doesn't even take the call now. I will leave a message for him is all I get, and I hit that link the same amount. I told her that if he would just let me know if he is in support or not I would stop talking about it. Nope nada.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Draft for SB 199 and a link to the committee.

Representative,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 199, Self Defense. This bill was authored by Senator Michael Young and Chris Garten, and co-authored by Senators Baldwin, Busch, Crane, Koch, Kruse, Leising, and Tomes. SB 199 is sponsored in the House by Representative Chris Jeter, and corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

SB 199 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 199 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 199 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a loaded firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 199 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 199 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email
    Bumping the SB 199 draft. It's up in the House Courts and Criminal Code committee Wednesday morning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom