• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    This may go against some of your beliefs on the yote killing..but its working for us. Never throw a light at them. Sneak in. dont just drive down a lane and get out slamming doors. They are crafty. we found it best to turn the lights off the truck before we get to our spot. Park and get out quietly. Many times we park on the road...just off as far as we can. dont walk half a mile. get off the road and set up quietly and quickly. And be ready with the weapon. dont slam the bolt home. We have had them run in on us just minutes after we call. I go out maybe 50 yds and put the little moving tail with the speaker next to it. we use the Fox Pro caller. We never worry about us hiding either. with the thermal scopes we see them coming. What we have found is that a full or mostly full moon sucks. When we have it we dont go. Not at night. They can see like us. The darker the better. Dont move around alot. They dont focus on you. They tend to focus on the moving caller. But full moons we go during the day. They usually stop 100 or so out to check things out. Too late for them. We are already zeroed in on it. we let them come but when it stops the round is sent down range quickly. Once it turns to head out thats it. And if we shoot one we wait. Many times another comes in to see what happened. we carry a 6mm creedmore. A 243 WSSM...and also a 12 ga with 00. We have had them run in fast and the 00 is good for that. Because they dont stop. and if more than 1 you get em both. The thing is we dont sit for an hour at a time. If they dont come they are not there. Or they are call shy. So we move. The more mobile you are the more you will see. We have seen as many as a dozen in an night but they hang up 4 to 6 hundred out. Everyone has their ways of getting the ole dog. Post your way. If it helps kill one it is a good thing guys. Happy hunting......

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    This may go against some of your beliefs on the yote killing..but its working for us. Never throw a light at them. Sneak in. dont just drive down a lane and get out slamming doors. They are crafty. we found it best to turn the lights off the truck before we get to our spot. Park and get out quietly. Many times we park on the road...just off as far as we can. dont walk half a mile. get off the road and set up quietly and quickly. And be ready with the weapon. dont slam the bolt home. We have had them run in on us just minutes after we call. I go out maybe 50 yds and put the little moving tail with the speaker next to it. we use the Fox Pro caller. We never worry about us hiding either. with the thermal scopes we see them coming. What we have found is that a full or mostly full moon sucks. When we have it we dont go. Not at night. They can see like us. The darker the better. Dont move around alot. They dont focus on you. They tend to focus on the moving caller. But full moons we go during the day. They usually stop 100 or so out to check things out. Too late for them. We are already zeroed in on it. we let them come but when it stops the round is sent down range quickly. Once it turns to head out thats it. And if we shoot one we wait. Many times another comes in to see what happened. we carry a 6mm creedmore. A 243 WSSM...and also a 12 ga with 00. We have had them run in fast and the 00 is good for that. Because they dont stop. and if more than 1 you get em both. The thing is we dont sit for an hour at a time. If they dont come they are not there. Or they are call shy. So we move. The more mobile you are the more you will see. We have seen as many as a dozen in an night but they hang up 4 to 6 hundred out. Everyone has their ways of getting the ole dog. Post your way. If it helps kill one it is a good thing guys. Happy hunting......
    Not too different than what I do, other than since my shots tend to be short I'll find a little concealment. What type of terrain do you hunt, woods, fields, flatlands, hills, etc.?

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    Not too different than what I do, other than since my shots tend to be short I'll find a little concealment. What type of terrain do you hunt, woods, fields, flatlands, hills, etc.?
    almost strictly fields. We dont stay long though. If nothing shows in 20 minutes we leave. We will hit a dozen places or more a night

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    +1

almost strictly fields. We dont stay long though. If nothing shows in 20 minutes we leave. We will hit a dozen places or more a night
    Interesting. I'm usually in the woods and rough terrain. I will stay a little longer in a spot, usually about 30 minutes but on rare occasions I'll sit for 45. Sounds like our methods are fairly similar but our hunting areas totally different.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    I like day hunting the woods in a tree stand. Put the fox pro moving tail and caller out in front of me and sit. i do not over call though. I always see something....deer or turkey or squirrels. But you have to hunt the cover you have for sure. Terrain varies in the state. The coyote adapts to his surrounding and we have to adapt to that. It would be nice if the price of fur went up like it was in the 70's and early 80's. More guys would be trapping and there would be far less of these things out killing our wildlife. I look at it like i am saving a lot of deer and turkey when i kill one coyote. I am thinking i might even set some snares soon just for coyotes.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like day hunting the woods in a tree stand. Put the fox pro moving tail and caller out in front of me and sit. i do not over call though. I always see something....deer or turkey or squirrels. But you have to hunt the cover you have for sure. Terrain varies in the state. The coyote adapts to his surrounding and we have to adapt to that. It would be nice if the price of fur went up like it was in the 70's and early 80's. More guys would be trapping and there would be far less of these things out killing our wildlife. I look at it like i am saving a lot of deer and turkey when i kill one coyote. I am thinking i might even set some snares soon just for coyotes.
    Yep, and that's a big part of why yotes are so successful. Open land, woods, cities, hot, cold, they don't care. Fur from down here never has been worth much, at least compared to a little further north. We just don't get the extended cold for the critters to grow a thick coat.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    We kill coyotes. Anywhere and at any time. we have taken quite a few this year and only 2 were worth pelting. Mange is the biggest problem. Animal right whackos are ignorant and arrogant and putting those two together makes them dangerous. Look at the deer contests in the state. Same thing. But coyotes are a killing machine. The deer, turkey and all other wildlife including domestic dogs , cats and all farm animals are victims of the nasty coyote. These are ignorant people who try to stick their pie hole in other peoples business when they know nothing about it. Liberals. Its what they do. This is how they get their foot in the door. If they can get it banned they will move to ending the hunting. Then fishing contests. Liberals push their ideology on other people no matter the topic. I had one of our elected officials tell me once that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. sound off to the DNR. Let them know how nuts these people are. Simple phone calls will help. Sit by and do nothing, and when it happens its too late.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Frickin' Karens.

When I grew up in Arizona, javelina (wild hogs) were a big problem similar to coyotes here. Thankfully, nobody really protested on their behalf since they're mean, ugly as sin, and will tear up a family pat in seconds flat.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Lmfao. I thought running through the house in my boxers, throwing a window open, and shooting was bad!
    Every year since we have lived here, I've got at least 1 from inside the house. No one even looks at me funny when I do that, they say "well, its Monday"

When I yell "EARS" everyone knows what that means.

Top Bottom