• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I live in jasper county and hunt 10 minutes away in porter county,I havent seen any yotes out during day, one in morning on a deer hunt my buddy saw, but I havent seen any yet.How are you guys doing in jasper/porter county ?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Difference between want and having the ability. Went to work Thursday, be home Monday night. Credit card got hacked, store I ordered thermal from won't charge card until it comes back in stock. So when the new card comes I gotta call Myron and let him know to charge the new one, not the old one. I seriously thought about calling my employer to see where "MY" $3000 worth of stuff was sent then going for a drive to see who picked it up. And setting them on fire. Bastards.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's been very slow. The last four times has been unsuccessful. I've heard a lot and I've seen a lot, but they have stayed out of shooting range.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Same here but really quiet until 2-3 am. Not much activity going. Went to the barn about 3ish and some howlers about 1/2 mile out. Some snow on the ground would help with a bright moon!

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I had a great stand this morning. Started out with long howls and into rabbit distress (shelterbelt). 1:57 seconds in had one bearing down on the call. Finally got it slowed down for what I thought was a layup shot. Crosshairs on the center of the chest and slow squeeze sent it into a spin. Sprinted back into the woods (about 30 yards) and out of my sight. I assumed it had been heart shot. Seems like they will get a dump of adrenaline and run until they crash. Anyways, went into pup distress thinking I might get another one close by to investigate but ultimately nothing. Walked over to where I had last seen the coyote, and just a few specks of blood. Spent about 30 minutes walking circles trying to find where it had went but the blood was sparse. I hate losing any critter like that. I expected a little more lethality out of the 6mm ARC, but alas the blame is on me. Time for some redemption.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    layups that turn into brick work haunt me for a long time. I don't handle screw ups well. My last daylight coyote the scope was to blame, makes me feel better. Its at vortex as I type testing the VIP warranty.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tough luck guys. Happens to me waayyyyy to often, too.

Went outside last night a little after dark to get my bird feeders. Three of them came running up the drive about 20 yards from me. Not a thing I could do. Not sure they even knew I was there as I was in deep dark shade.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Other than stumbling in to shooting one during a deer hunt, I've never been coyote hunting...but want to start. I have no gear other than a gun with a scope on it.

Anybody want to share some "how-to" knowledge with me?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Best advice I can give is to find an experienced hunter to apprentice with. Lots of info on the net if want to do some reading and listening to calls, etc.
    With gear a lot is going to be determined by how and where you hunt. For an example, what works really well for Rookie in the flat open areas he hunts probably won't work near as well for somebody who hunts in mixed vegetation/woods and hills like me.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Other than stumbling in to shooting one during a deer hunt, I've never been coyote hunting...but want to start. I have no gear other than a gun with a scope on it.

Anybody want to share some "how-to" knowledge with me?
    That’s the same gear I started with! I’ll second the advice on finding someone to mentor you, but barring that:

Find a decent call. Doesn’t have to be super fancy. Most importantly, learn to play the wind. And that doesn’t just mean sitting with the breeze in your face. The coyotes will try to get downwind of the call, so you need to be ready for them when they get there, without them being able to scent you along the way. Consider that their daytime eyesight is as good as yours, so hide well, or position yourself somewhere they won’t have much time to react when they see you.

Annnnd get ready to spend some money. Coyote hunting is a real challenge, but any gear to help you is legal, unlike deer hunting where we deliberately limit ourselves with seasons, equipment, or shooting hours. As a result, spending is often directly correlated to increased success. New calls, better thermals, etc. It’s an addiction!

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    image1 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
      image1 (2).jpeg
      596.4 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_3716.JPG
      IMG_3716.JPG
      4 MB · Views: 41
    • IMG_3722.JPG
      IMG_3722.JPG
      958.2 KB · Views: 45
    • 2016 rabbits 004.JPG
      2016 rabbits 004.JPG
      3.2 MB · Views: 44

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    the pics are over the last couple of years. Thought i would share. we do hunt coyote but also trap many. Snares are an easy way to get the ole dog. The rabbits show what you can do when the coyotes are under control. Between coyotes and cats the rabbits are holed up a lot.

Top Bottom