• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a leather shooting bag that my grandma's friend made me for my mountain man gear when I was in highschool. I keep a cammenga compass, lighter, matches , ferro rod, small hank of paracord, baggies, ammo, a golf pencil and if available a decent map to practice my land nav. If it's a new and larger spot than normal then I carry a waist pack with a shelter kit, stove and water filter.

For guns I use a winchester 1300, mossberg 702, crosman 2400kt, ruger 1022, and a rough rider. The crosman is funny when I want to be sneaky and real close.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Not sure that's lawful to shoot from the boat is it? For squirrel at least...

From IDNR 2020 regs: Hunting from a Vehicle or Boat
    Mammals and birds may not be taken or chased from, by the use of, or with the aid of any motor-driven conveyance (including boats), except:
    By an individual authorized to hunt from a stationary vehicle with a Persons with Dis-abilities Hunting Permit.
    To check traps that are lawfully set and maintained.
    To hunt waterfowl or squirrels from a motor-boat if the boat is beached, resting at anchor, tied to a stationary object, or otherwise with-out motion, except as provided by wind, water current, or hand-operated oars or paddles.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From IDNR 2020 regs: Hunting from a Vehicle or Boat
    Mammals and birds may not be taken or chased from, by the use of, or with the aid of any motor-driven conveyance (including boats), except:
    By an individual authorized to hunt from a stationary vehicle with a Persons with Dis-abilities Hunting Permit.
    To check traps that are lawfully set and maintained.
    To hunt waterfowl or squirrels from a motor-boat if the boat is beached, resting at anchor, tied to a stationary object, or otherwise with-out motion, except as provided by wind, water current, or hand-operated oars or paddles.

Aha, thanks Old Dog! I looked for the regulation but apparently not as well as you did. :yesway:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I started this thread and can finally contribute. My annual "Guys Weekend" just finished and this was the result Saturday morning. I did not get photos from Sunday, but overall we managed to harvest 13 gray squirrels and one fox squirrel over the course of three days hunting between 5 different hunters, all with .22 rifles (Mix of 10/22s, Marlin 60s, one 80 year old Winchester 74). Smoked two pork shoulders and ribs from the hogs I shot in Texas this past February, posted here https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/478011-texas-hog-hunt-february-2020-a.html ; Enjoyed some great cigars, great bourbon and great camaraderie!

20200919_112057_01.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If it's a quick outing ziplock bag, rubber gloves, cleaning wipes, game shears, knife, gun and ammo. Cardboard to put on tailgate for cleaning them. Maybe a foam pad to sit on.

If I have more time bushcraft gear comes along. Make a shelter with a tarp or put up hammock. Brew up some coffee and cook something up. Hang up gear and hunt around.

Very much looking forward to it this year. I keep fishing and shoot from the boat if opportunity presents itself until weeds die off and you can see your breath.

Keep in mind not to shoot them over the water...THEY SINK LIKE ROCKS!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Finally got the chance to get out this morning, and it was gorgeous. No one else in the woods at Atterbury. Shot four but couldn't find one of them for the life of me once it hit the ground. Most of the activity I was seeing was still on hickory, but there were some acorns falling from one big white oak. Great time of the year!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    We went out last weekend. I bagged three tree rats, most were cutting hickory nuts. They have been destroying the white oaks at the house for the last three weeks but where we hunted didn't have any.

They are starting to work on the pin oaks at the house now so just a heads up on what mast they are work on currently.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Took a walk for about 4 hours. Woods here are still thicker than *****. Managed to spot three itty bitty baby grays. Took a pot shot at a red on the ground and never found him. Hold out longer for later season after leaves fall more.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    kFSDhCr.jpg

Four head shots. None under 50 yds and the fox squirrel was at 80. .17 HM2 ROCKS in my Contender.

Top Bottom