• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Any recipes to suggest? Do you cure the hides?

Tyb2RLe.jpg

Been out stackin' bodies with the York this year instead of the 500 Tactical. Easier to cart around, fixed modified/improved choke reaches out better than the cylinder bore. Need to rig up something to stop the buttstock cover from displacing forward under recoil.

Tell you what, though, it's kinda hard to get into the mood out in Yellowwood with constant chainsaw and diesel noises coming across the lake starting at 0600.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Tyb2RLe.jpg

Been out stackin' bodies with the York this year instead of the 500 Tactical. Easier to cart around, fixed modified/improved choke reaches out better than the cylinder bore. Need to rig up something to stop the buttstock cover from displacing forward under recoil.

Tell you what, though, it's kinda hard to get into the mood out in Yellowwood with constant chainsaw and diesel noises coming across the lake starting at 0600.

Why don't to get a rifle and do it right. Shotgun is cheating.:stickpoke:

And I just hate the smell of punctured guts.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Any recipes to suggest? Do you cure the hides?

Hides get trashed, meat gets cut into chunks, breaded, deep fried, and usually put into a stir fry.

Why don't to get a rifle and do it right. Shotgun is cheating.:stickpoke:

I'm lazy and I'm not ashamed. :rockwoot:

I switch over to .22 in the late season sometimes. Never had much luck getting rifle hits on movers in the treetops before the leaves fall and they migrate to the ground. The Henry is super wonky with holding zero, though, so I was meaning to build a new .22 squirrel slayer this year before everything went to hell.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    We like to roll the pieces in flour, do a quick fry just to get brown, drain off most of grease and then add water to cover and simmer covered for 2-3 hours, checking and adding more water. The meat gets really tender and with a bit more flour at the end, you get a nice brown squirrel gravy to go with some mashed potatoes. Very tasty!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I use a .410....I skin 'em, gut 'em and then put three or four in the crock pot with a jar of Prego....after 5 or 6 hours on low O pull the squirrels out and strip off the meat, toss it back in the sauce....make pasta.

Also you can cut in pieces, pressure cook for 10 mis or so...roll in seasoned flour and fry it...make gravy out of the drippings...make biscuits...eat and enjoy

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've even boned 'em out raw , ground them and mixed up some pretty good meatballs mixed with a little italian sausage.

Quick pot or regular pressure cooker until tender. Just some fresh ground pepper and sea salt is pretty good.
    Or sweet baby rays bbq sauce.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I like to oven bake them in a bag with seasonings and chicken broth, at 350F for 35 or longer minutes. Then I debone and put in a pot with with carrots, peas, corn kernels and my home made dumplings. Simmer for a while and enjoy. These two were very tasty. The M&P 15-22 with cci SV makes short work of them, and doesn’t spook the rest hid-n in dem trees.
    EAD6B2A6-C3FB-4FE8-99CD-2D5972D34378.jpeg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I use a 20ga. Skin then snip legs off with game shears and toss the rest. Drop legs into a pot of beef stew.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Rib cage too annoying / bony?
    Not much meat on the ribs. If you like making soup, it is useful but I've left that part for the possums and vultures for many years.

You guys and your shotguns.:nono:

I've shotgunned squirrels exactly one time. Never again. No challenge and again, I hate the smell of punctured guts. Rimfire pistol if you want a real challenge.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Rimfire pistol if you want a real challenge.

I smoked one with my SR22 the other day because he was still moving at a decent clip on 2 out of 4 legs after getting blown out of the tree by the 12 gauge, does that count? :):

A 15-22 looks like a fun way to go.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I got sent home from work for having the Rona symptoms so until my test results come back I have a paid vacation. I've been self isolating in the woods with my 2400kt, mossberg 702 and rough rider. I got a fox squirrel today that may as well been a lap dog in a tree dang thing wouldn't fit in my biggest bowl without quartering him. The 2400kt is a blast to hunt with and is so quiet I can get a couple shots off before I have to find a new spot.Have had such a great time decompressing and just getting some time to myself.with the exception of my cough I haven't felt this good in a long time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So what is everyone's gear they head out into the woods with?

Lg fanny pack with 2 bottles of water, game shears, ziplock bags, knife sharpener, compass, copy of hunting license, and a squirrel pin. With the shoulder straps it gives me a place to hand any clothing tbat gets too warm. Usually camouflage from head to toe. White chin whiskers tend to send 'em running.

They've seen me before.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I believe shot gun is just as challenging as a rifle. You don't just blast. Have to pick shells you want to use and hit the range a few times to pattern them. Once you learn and practice your good to hit the woods. For me I use 5 shot aimed for past their nose. Catch them in the head with the fringe of the shot pattern. Generally no more than two or three bb's in the head and or neck. Also have capabilities of blasting one on the run and shooting shot is much safer.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If it's a quick outing ziplock bag, rubber gloves, cleaning wipes, game shears, knife, gun and ammo. Cardboard to put on tailgate for cleaning them. Maybe a foam pad to sit on.

If I have more time bushcraft gear comes along. Make a shelter with a tarp or put up hammock. Brew up some coffee and cook something up. Hang up gear and hunt around.

Very much looking forward to it this year. I keep fishing and shoot from the boat if opportunity presents itself until weeds die off and you can see your breath.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it's a quick outing ziplock bag, rubber gloves, cleaning wipes, game shears, knife, gun and ammo. Cardboard to put on tailgate for cleaning them. Maybe a foam pad to sit on.

If I have more time bushcraft gear comes along. Make a shelter with a tarp or put up hammock. Brew up some coffee and cook something up. Hang up gear and hunt around.

Very much looking forward to it this year. I keep fishing and shoot from the boat if opportunity presents itself until weeds die off and you can see your breath.

Not sure that's lawful to shoot from the boat is it? For squirrel at least...

Top Bottom