• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Acorns dropping here along with lots of leaves. It's so dry I feel an early fall coming on. Haven't seen many squirrels. I'll stick to fishing until it gets frosty out.

Not dry down here but I've kinda been thinking the same thing. Some of the deer are starting to lose their summer coats and the spiders seem to be busy with stringing webs all over the place.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    They are just starting to cut on shagbark hickory and pignuts. Not much activity on oak yet. Have not been out yet. I will wait for it to cool off for a couple weeks. They taste better after a cold spell or two.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not dry down here but I've kinda been thinking the same thing. Some of the deer are starting to lose their summer coats and the spiders seem to be busy with stringing webs all over the place.

I didn't know that was a sign of an early fall, but they have definitely been busy up here. I'm not even out in the sticks but every time I cut the grass lately and go under or near a tree, I have to keep brushing the strands out of my face (and then of course do the regular freak out to make sure the spider didn't come along with it :):).

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I can see lots of them through my kitchen window as there are walnut trees & mulberry trees surrounding the house. Unfortunately, these big city police get a little huffy about shooting inside the corporation limit. I'll have to drive out of town to fill my iron skillet.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My 12 yo daughter wants to go. We have public land in NWI. Kingsbury I think. Any advice on times of day that are best? And how do you actually get on state property. Is there somewhere to sign in?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Well I know that at the Winamac FWA public land area. There is a "ranger" station that you sign in at. I am going to guess that Kingsbury would be similar? You might look them up on line and call their office at the site.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My 12 yo daughter wants to go. We have public land in NWI. Kingsbury I think. Any advice on times of day that are best? And how do you actually get on state property. Is there somewhere to sign in?
    As for timing...sunrise and sunset are prime time. As the sun heats the tops of the trees they move lower. I'm usually in at first light and out by 9-930 at latest.

Not sure about slight temperature/humidity difference for NWI, but ticks are bad this year in Southern portion. DEET is your friend.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I didn't know that was a sign of an early fall, but they have definitely been busy up here. I'm not even out in the sticks but every time I cut the grass lately and go under or near a tree, I have to keep brushing the strands out of my face (and then of course do the regular freak out to make sure the spider didn't come along with it :):).

Oh yes, the ol spider web dance. Know it well! :runaway:

As for timing...sunrise and sunset are prime time. As the sun heats the tops of the trees they move lower. I'm usually in at first light and out by 9-930 at latest.

Not sure about slight temperature/humidity difference for NWI, but ticks are bad this year in Southern portion. DEET is your friend.

I've been using using livestock premises spray on my clothes for years. Its permethrin, same as the stuff sold by Sawyer and several other companies, only cheaper and mixed at home. A pint of the concentrate is less than $15 and will make enough for at least a couple of years. Rather than just keeping the ticks, chiggers,and other nasty bitey bugs away, it kills them dead. For use on skin, the picardin spray works just as well as DEET without the toxic side effects and doesn't mess up synthetics and gun finishes.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Sunrise to about 11 am is prime time. If you can scout ahead of time and sit down where you can see a couple trees with cuttings under them b4 first light you may get to see some things that you'd otherwise scare off walking in later. I'v e had skunks walk across my boot toes, deer sniff my ears. Watched fox, coyote, weasel and bobcat hunt. Just a great time to sit really still and listen to the forest awaken.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Sunrise to about 11 am is prime time. If you can scout ahead of time and sit down where you can see a couple trees with cuttings under them b4 first light you may get to see some things that you'd otherwise scare off walking in later. I'v e had skunks walk across my boot toes, deer sniff my ears. Watched fox, coyote, weasel and bobcat hunt. Just a great time to sit really still and listen to the forest awaken.
    Amen to this. Nothing more serene than watching the woods "come alive". It is my place of Zen

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I can see lots of them through my kitchen window as there are walnut trees & mulberry trees surrounding the house. Unfortunately, these big city police get a little huffy about shooting inside the corporation limit. I'll have to drive out of town to fill my iron skillet.

My redneck brother lives in a housing addition near Chicago....he traps squirrels with home made squirrel traps. He keeps them well fed with corn and nuts all summer....then cashes them in. The neighbors have no idea.

He's also been known to pop a few with his air rifle.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I went out last Sunday with my scoped Ruger Single Six revolver and missed a young grey 4 times. I was shooting low and to the right about 3 inches @ 30 yards. Dunno what happened as it was sighted in really well before. Anyways, I re-sighted it in and if I do my job (which I don't do very well) it will shoot into a dime @ 30 yards with CCI Stingers. Gonna try again this coming weekend. They are up in the trees and not moving around much there, so evidently they have a good supply of food up there. We have a good crop of Walnuts and White Oak this year, so hopefully deer season will be good too.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have hunted small and big game across the U.S. elk hunting is the most exciting and majestic but squirrel hunting is the most serene, educational, and relaxing to me. I have loved it since my first hunt with dad at age 8. I still have that old Steven's. 410 single shot. Now days, I prefer a .22 pistol for squirrel.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Done till frost. 8 yr old got covered in the bastage nymph ticks. Clothes treated, didn't matter. Did get one, dog treed good, couldn't see the vermin. Better times await.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

Timing question already answered. It helps to go out the day before in light, if it's a place you've never been, and look for open nut shells on the ground. DNR fish and wildlife areas do have check in stations you must visit before you go out. Not sure about forest reserves or other public land.

Good luck.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I3GT7Bi.jpg

5 b4 08:10. Perfect morning to be in the woods.

Top Bottom