0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Reported timeline:

12 October (Monday): process start, day of introduction
    13 - 14 October (Tuesday - Wednesday): two days of questioning
    15 October (Thursday): Begin markup, begin required one-week holdover
    22 October (Thursday): Report nomination out of judiciary committee

From there, it is up to McConnell to schedule/hold the vote on the floor of the Senate.

Jump to 3:10:

[video=youtube_share;fhA3RYnFhhY]https://youtu.be/fhA3RYnFhhY[/video]

Just reminding y'all what this thread is about. Please take the pissing matches somewhere else.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    This whole affair looks like a real-life version of Allen Drury’s novel “Advise and Consent”, even more than the Kavanaugh hearings. In the novel, the issue was the nominee for Secretary of State attempting to conceal past membership in a University of Chicago communist cell (vs. unsupported accusations of sexual misconduct by Kavanaugh).

What I’d like to see is McConnell produce a Discharge Resolution that would relieve the Judiciary Committee of any responsibility for “hearings” (i.e., The October S*** Show), and proceed directly to a floor vote. There’s probably some obscure feature of the Senate Rules that would allow this (and the Senate seems to have the ability to ignore its own rules anyway, if the Majority Leader is so inclined).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last I heard, McConnel pushed the hearings back a week until the 19th.

I think the concern was positive testing R senators and not having the votes without them?

I fear they are not gonna get this done?
    Something else will happen to push the vote until after the election...
    ...then something else will happen to...

:tinfoil: Has anyone looked into the DNC planting undercover virus carriers into Trump rally's and SCOTUS announcement gatherings?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I think the concern was positive testing R senators and not having the votes without them?

:tinfoil: Has anyone looked into the DNC planting undercover virus carriers into Trump rally's and SCOTUS announcement gatherings?

Last I saw, McConnell said that committees were still free to carry on their work, and there had been no announced change in the Judiciary Committee schedule.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

I am not aware of all the procedural tricks available, as the Senate resembles more of a witches' coven than a professional organization in terms of how it's run, but I did read that the so-called "Standing Rules of the Senate" require a 2/3 vote to change them. So the crux was, although the committees can operate virtually, floor votes must still be conducted the old-school way.

How I'm reading that: one more GOP Senator tests positive, and this is probably over.

As for holding the vote after Election Day...the average of polls have shown Martha McSally running consistently well-behind Gabby Giffords' husband in the Arizona Senate race to fill John McCain's seat. And Cindy McCain "has no interest in the matter" (ie, will not endorse the Republican because she feels she was insufficiently deferential to John McCain's memory). And Meghan McCain sh_t-talked McSally when she was first appointed to the seat.

I cannot figure out why AZ voters won't support a female Republican A-10 Warthog driver and the first American female to fly in combat, over a Democrat gun-controller. But Kelly seems positioned to become the John Glenn of Arizona. And if that happens, the rules require him to be sworn-in asap (it doesn't wait until January like other Senators, since it's a special election).

If that happens, Mitch McConnell's Senate majority is gone after Election Day. And with it any chances of confirming AB.

I rate this confirmation's chances as no better than 50/50 at this point.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I am not aware of all the procedural tricks available, as the Senate resembles more of a witches' coven than a professional organization in terms of how it's run, but I did read that the so-called "Standing Rules of the Senate" require a 2/3 vote to change them. So the crux was, although the committees can operate virtually, floor votes must still be conducted the old-school way.

How I'm reading that: one more GOP Senator tests positive, and this is probably over.

As for holding the vote after Election Day...the average of polls have shown Martha McSally running consistently well-behind Gabby Giffords' husband in the Arizona Senate race to fill John McCain's seat. And Cindy McCain "has no interest in the matter" (ie, will not endorse the Republican because she feels she was insufficiently deferential to John McCain's memory). And Meghan McCain sh_t-talked McSally when she was first appointed to the seat.

I cannot figure out why AZ voters won't support a female Republican A-10 Warthog driver and the first American female to fly in combat, over a Democrat gun-controller. But Kelly seems positioned to become the John Glenn of Arizona. And if that happens, the rules require him to be sworn-in asap (it doesn't wait until January like other Senators, since it's a special election).

If that happens, Mitch McConnell's Senate majority is gone after Election Day. And with it any chances of confirming AB.

Er, how do you figure?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah, I got mixed up on the hearing and the Senate returning.

I think that McConnel should do everything possible to have this vote ASAP. Including changing stuff around to vote virtually and get it done ASAP.

We need NOT forget that the Dems consider this life and death for them. They will come up with more scary stuff, even if it's a lie.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Unfortunately, I bet the Covid outbreak shuts down the committee and discussions for the SCJ. I doubt we get a vote before November. Hopefully it won't matter...

Even if Trump loses and Repubs lose the Senate, they can still vote Amy in before the end of their respective terms, barring any other "issues". It will just be looked further down upon by the left (as if it could get any worse in their eyes).

Ramyankee42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Even if Trump loses and Repubs lose the Senate, they can still vote Amy in before the end of their respective terms, barring any other "issues". It will just be looked further down upon by the left (as if it could get any worse in their eyes).

Ah yes, duh, in until January, and the possible, not peaceful, transfer of power since some outlets have already awarded Biden the presidency and are assuming Trump will camp out in the WH.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Arizona is no longer solid red. So McSally continuing in that seat was never sure. There has been an influx of left leaning people from California into Arizona over the past couple of years. They flee the crappy policies they voted for in California, and then vote for the same kinds of people who chased them out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Top Bottom