• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    It seems that last fall when the weather got really cold and then warmed up again, our moles got a second wind and absolutely destroyed our yard just as winter was starting. It has carried into the spring time and it already looks like it's going to be a losing battle. Belle, our black and tan coonhound is trying to help, but really she is just digging a giant hole in the yard at the end if her chain. I believe the mole(s) are actually taunting her by digging new tunnels just inside of her radius while she is inside. She then loses her mind and digs more when she goes out.

We have 3 of the good ol fashioned steel spike traps that I plan on setting and keeping up on this year. I saw someone had got 36 of those little critters last year in another thread. Let's see how many we can collectively get this year. Oh, how I loathe these little bastards.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Not yet. Lawn treatment is going to happen this year for several things. Fleas, ticks, grubs, dandelions, etc.... I just haven't dug up what will be best yet.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I paid a pro to come bait and kill them for the first time last year. Worked much better than grub ex, poison peanuts, spring traps, and the ever popular pitchfork and a 6 pack all combined. $120 well spent imo.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Themoletrap.com get two and your problems will be solved. I've been using them for years, kid and pet safe, American made.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I'm in the country so I sit in my lawn chair and use a .223 with my m4-2000. Wait for the mole to start working the dirt up and then shoot him. Instant gratification.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Calcium Carbide (old time head lamp fuel). Stick a little bit in their tunnels and water over the top of them a bit. The water reacts with it to make acetylene. Instant gas chamber. Just be sure to keep fire away for a while.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I use Motomco mole worms. Looks like artificial fishing worms. I tear me in half and poke a hole in the runs and drop them into the tunnel. My neighbor shared that with me when I moved in a few years ago. He said he tried some of the other stuff and these worms were the only thing that worked. I am going to try a grub killer this year too.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    One word Moleinator...

[video=youtube;lvzwxK0FSyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvzwxK0FSyo[/video]

Come on... You know YOU WANT to try this...

[video=youtube;e4CNsRwtFy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4CNsRwtFy8[/video]

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Correct. Same with exlax, flares, gasoline and traps. We tried them all. The best thing that we found to date was a product called Milky Spores. 2 treatments and they were gone for 4 years. They have come back this year sadly.
    Milky spore merely kills the grubs the moles eat. They also eat worms (70% of their diet). I like the little guys - do all my aerating for me, and destroy the grubs. Perfect lawns are overrated, and a statement I do not wish to make.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I didn't realize hamsters and moles were arch enemies. Somewhere on INGO there is probably a thread about how to get rid of hamsters started by someone with a user name similar to molesomethingandabunchofnumbers.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Milky spore merely kills the grubs the moles eat. They also eat worms (70% of their diet). I like the little guys - do all my aerating for me, and destroy the grubs. Perfect lawns are overrated, and a statement I do not wish to make.

My big problem now is our coonhound likes to dig up what she can reach. So if I can eliminate the moles who appear to be messing with her, I can hopefully curb some of the digging and mud that gets tracked through the house.

Top Bottom