• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Put me down for two cases. Thank you for coordinating this.

brian

P.S. Thanks SmileDocHill for posting this up on the Project Appleseed forum...I would not have seen it otherwise.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, it's a stupid question, but I'll ask just to make sure I'm understanding...

One case would feed one person two meals a day for six days, correct?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes, it's a stupid question, but I'll ask just to make sure I'm understanding...

Yes. Each pack is about 1400 calories. I actually don't eat all the food in one setting. In an emergency like sheltering in case of a storm I would think 1 pack per day per person plus water would work. Under heavy exertion 2 would be almost 2800 calories.

Packs I got before had an entree, peanut butter, crackers, cookie, pop tart or vanilla shake mix. Doing that from memory.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

yes, or if you are like me they serve as perfect food to have on hand at the office for that occasional time when you actually get a lunch. Leftovers go bad after a while and you have to remember to bring them. MRE's are good for YEARS so I worry not that I have food at work for lunches. Also for any day long event (indy 1500, appleseed or other event shoot, taking a class?) you can throw one of these in your bag and know you have everything you need (except water) for the day. It is easy and quite frankly any time you go somewhere where the other option is to hit a fast food or other restaurant they are cheap groceries when compared to eating out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I carry one in my computer bag. Works good if I get caught in the field away from the office. We also pack a few with us when taking road trips along with a couple gallons of water. Feels more prepared driving through someplace like Nashville or Atlanta knowing you have food, water, extra magazine and a good first aid kit at the ready.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think I still have one case from the previous group buy. How long are these meals holding up at normal "bottom of a closet" storage temps?

Oh and fig bars are bleh. I wish there was a different side.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    APack Ready Meals :: Self-Heating Emergency MREs :: Frequently Asked Questions

shelflife.gif

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks for posting that. I wonder what goes "bad" on them. I.e. would you be at grave danger eating some of it after 60 months, or perhaps just be at a higher risk of intestinal distress (but no longer term effects) due to spoiling?

They don't go bad, they just lose flavor and nutritional value. They are still edible and they still have calories.
    I've eaten 25 year old MREs that were pretty bland but as long as the packaging is intact they are fine.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom