1st Detonics MTX 1911 45acp (CombatMaster) produced + Prototype (photos/review)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been a total slacker lately, announcing the new Detonics compact pistol, talking about it, but not posting much. Blame my daughter and her high school fencing team (I'm on the coaching staff/weapons repair) and the gun came off the production line right as the competition season started. So I've been really busy!!!

So first up is the first gun off the production line. As a favor to me, my initials are part of the serial number, and they threw in a special presentation case because this is the very first gun. This one is going into one of the gun safes and will not be fired. Other than the test shots the factory ran through the gun, this one is/will remain, a virgin safe queen.

It is a double stack aluminum framed, modular, 1911. The compact grips hold 12 rounds of 45acp. The trigger has ZERO over travel and only about 1/8" of an inch of take up before it snaps. The grip is angled a bit more than a traditional 1911 and has a cutout at the rear for the web of your hand and is relieved under the trigger to allow for a higher grip. The combination should push the recoil down the arm and reduce muzzle flip compared to a traditional 1911. The slide is traditional 1911 design, as is the trigger, hammer, linkage, etc. Its a 1911 but the frame/grip are modernized to allow for a better grip on the gun and the double stack magazine.

photo1-4.jpg

photo2-5.jpg

photo4.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here is the prototype gun that was used to develop this model. Its engraved with the NEMESIS designation instead of the MTX designation because during the prototype phase that was what they were going to call this gun. As part of the serial number, my initials and 001 have been incorporated into the number. This gun was produced in June of this year and has probably had 20,000 rounds or more run through it at the factory. I have not YET shot this gun, this one will be used by me, since its already been shot, its not like I am going to lower the value by using a used gun.

You may notice in the photos the magazine release is very tall, at first I thought it odd, but it feels really good, I'm not sure if it will snag up in a holster, that is yet to be determined. I don't have a holster that will fit this gun (yet) because none of my 1911 holsters are set up for accessory rails.

The gun is very light, not sure the exact weight, but I'd bet in the 25 to 26 ounce range.

The grip is AMAZING in your hand. The guys at the FFL loved it, the guys in the cigar lounge love it. I love it. Its a bit odd looking but put it in your hand and you'll understand why it looks the way it looks!

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg
    photo3-2.jpg
    photo4-2.jpg

photo4-3.jpg
    photo3-3.jpg
    photo2-3.jpg

photo2-4.jpg
    photo1-4-1.jpg
    photo1-3.jpg

photo3-4.jpg
    photo4-4.jpg
    photo5.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I forget, was this the pistol that was supposed to allow single and double stack functionality? I only see on grip. ;)

It almost looks like Glock and the 1911 had a baby :)

Cool pistol though, and I'm glad you are happy.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I saw the first posting, and apologize if I've missed some of the subsequent information, but I wonder if you can address some questions?

Is the double stack magazine an off the shelf design, or is it a one-off for this gun? (I understand that grip geometries, etc may have dictated a new design, but I hate that extra magazines for new "white board" designs always cost a million dollars until MEC-GAR or some other quality maker gets enough demand for them to fill the pipeline). Also, is the guide rod end an encapsulated design around the barrel lug just to alleviate potential binding, or just an example of "why not"? Was the bushingless barrel chosen for simplicity, reliability, accuracy, or cost? Will there be a non-rail version? What protective finish is going on the aluminum to protect the frame rails from wear, and the rest of the frame from dings, elements, etc? Is it a standard hard coat anodize, or something special? Are all the controls machined, or is there a mix of cast and/or MIM in the pistol? And lastly, what neighborhood is the price going to reside in? It's an awfully nice looking pistol.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The grip comes off the gun. In the photos its set up for the compact 12 round double stack. Supposedly a single stack offering is in the future. There is also 14 round full size double stack grip available. The grip very much reminds me of a Browning HP or CZ 75 grip, but better, and that is a high compliment because I think the CZ 75 grip is (well it WAS) the best in the world.

The magazine is proprietary to Detonics because the grip angle is raked a bit steeper than a traditional 1911 to reduce recoil.

The guide rod/captured 3 spring recoil assembly is IDENTICAL to the CombatMaster design that dates back to the mid 1970's.

The bushingless barrel also dates back to the mid 1970's patents on the original Detonics guns and was the only way to make for a reliable compact barrel/side combination. The same set up is also used on many target grade 1911 pistols today. Virtually all modern compact 1911 pistols use the original Detonics patents in their current designs regarding the bushingless system.

As I understand it the finish is Duracoat.

As I understand it there are no plans for a non-rail version, but I would certainly prefer that for a carry.

Everything on the gun is CNC machined. Absolutely NO "MIM" parts on this gun. NO "cast" parts on this gun.

MSRP is $1500.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    ** Picks jaw off the ground

You should bring that lovely piece of machinery to the lounge on Thursday so that I may marvel at it in person.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I love it. If they offer a single stack option down the road, I will have one. My hands are too small to comfortably hold and shoot any double stack .45. And I like it with the rail on it. Not that I'd put anything on it, but I love the look of 1911's with a rail. (yes I'm young and new school) but I like it a lot.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ** Picks jaw off the ground

You should bring that lovely piece of machinery to the lounge on Thursday so that I may marvel at it in person.
    I had it there TODAY! It may make a guest appearance on Thursday, but I'll be coming to the lounge from a school in Illinois so there are some logistics to figure out.

I love it. If they offer a single stack option down the road, I will have one. My hands are too small to comfortably hold and shoot any double stack .45. And I like it with the rail on it. Not that I'd put anything on it, but I love the look of 1911's with a rail. (yes I'm young and new school) but I like it a lot.
    Regarding grip size, it's smaller than a double stack 9mm Glock 19. As for a future single stack grip, no clue on a timetable, my bet is it is a very LOW priority. Getting out the full size gun is probably their highest priority.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I think I just found my new bday present!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I so want to see it. Are you guy going to be at he lounge this wedsday?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think I just found my new bday present!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I so want to see it. Are you guy going to be at he lounge this wedsday?

Normally on Wednesday I am at the PINE ISLAND Pit Stop, and I will be there in the morning but will probably be at the 1101 Cigar Lounge around noon and will stay there until roughly 3:30pm.

Are you requesting I bring the gun? :laugh:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    MSRP is $1500, which is modestly expensive, about the price of a higher end Kimber but much less expensive than Wilson Combat, Les Baer, etc. They can be ordered directly from the factory.

Detonics Defense
    609 S. Breese
    Millstadt, IL 62260
    Phone: 1-618-476-3200
    Fax: 1-(618)-476-3221

The guns are so new that they have not even on their website but you can also email them via their website => Detonics Defense Technologies: Enhancing Combat Precision!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My hands are too small to comfortably hold and shoot any double stack .45.

The grip of this new DETONICS MTX is no fatter, and actually ever so slightly thinner, in width, than the grip of a single stack 1911.

They were apparently able to do that by using advanced CNC machining and this gun's grip is machined inside and out on a machine that allows for complex curves.

For those concerned about the grip size, here is some information and comparison that I can release. The new Detonics pistols is designated the MTX, the traditional Detonics is designated the CM.

The grip, by the way, holds 12 rounds of 45acp and is 5/8" longer than the original CombatMaster grip. That makes this grip just about "Officer" size instead of the shortened CombatMaster size which left your little finger grasping for air.

You can see the new gun's grip is actually going to be similar to, or smaller, in most ways that the Glock 26, a traditional 1911 or a Sig 250. Bear in mind we are comparing a 45acp Double-Stack with 2 popular 9mm Double Stacks and a traditional Single Stack.

Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

Hopefully this will help clear up some things.

Top Bottom