• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Waqs cleaning my RIA 1911 a little while ago and noticed the slide is wearing aginst the frame of the gun. It looks as if the slide is a little off from being lined up in the middle of the frame cause a small wear point on the front bottom portion of the slide. Is there any way to correct this?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes.

1) Open your hand, drop the cheap Philipino imitation 1911

2) Insert SA, Colt, or Kimber

3) Continue shooting

4) Have a nice day.

:D

LOL! Just messing with you!

Im no gunsmith but I imagine you could sand it down to remove the sharp edge causing the wear. As to the best way to do this Ill leave to the real gunsmiths to answer.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's a 1911, shoot until bored, clean and do it again. I think a little slop is a part of great reliability in these, :dunno:

Get Bored shooting a 1911???

Impossible sir!

I agree with the little slop being better for reliability in a 1911 though.

I hear that Colt builds thier pistols on the loose end so that they run out of the box with little to no break in.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Most mass produced 1911s are a little sloppy in the slide to frame fit. The frame rails can be hammered and the slide squeezed to make a better fit. This is to be done by someone that knows what they are doing though. I have a couple Colts that you would think the slide and frame are one piece b/c there is NO movement either side to side or up and down. Most of my others have varying amounts of slop in this area. My USGI 1911A1s sound like a baby's rattle when shaken! I'd just shoot it and enjoy it for what it is. :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Get Bored shooting a 1911???

Impossible sir!

I agree with the little slop being better for reliability in a 1911 though.

I hear that Colt builds thier pistols on the loose end so that they run out of the box with little to no break in.

:): True true, I should have said shoot until out of ammo! My Colt is running great, has from the first shot. But honestly all of my 1911's have been pretty good. I like this Colt the best so far though. :D I played with a used Springfield Loaded at my LGS today, felt pretty tight. But also very nice.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thats what i was kinda thinking myself. Thanks fellas. I just wont worry about it then. The gun runs flawless so its hard to complain to much about it for what im into it for.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube II Grease is some good stuff. I use it on all my autos, stays on AR's great too. It might not be the best for winter time, because its only rated down to 40 degrees.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    Waqs cleaning my RIA 1911 a little while ago and noticed the slide is wearing aginst the frame of the gun. It looks as if the slide is a little off from being lined up in the middle of the frame cause a small wear point on the front bottom portion of the slide. Is there any way to correct this?

I had the same problem with my RIA. I sent it in and they sent me a new one.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yes.

1) Open your hand, drop the cheap Philipino imitation 1911

2) Insert SA, Colt, or Kimber

3) Continue shooting

4) Have a nice day.

:D

LOL! Just messing with you!

Im no gunsmith but I imagine you could sand it down to remove the sharp edge causing the wear. As to the best way to do this Ill leave to the real gunsmiths to answer.

You do recall that it was the Moro of the Philippines that inspired John Browning to make the 1911 .45acp dont you? :D

Last edited:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Thats what i was kinda thinking myself. Thanks fellas. I just wont worry about it then. The gun runs flawless so its hard to complain to much about it for what im into it for.

NO...NO...NO..NO..NONONONONONONO!!!!! What you "obviously" need to do is lap the slide. Get out your trusty Brownell's catalog and order up the fixture and handle for this. Upon arrival, open and unpack the box, detail strip your 1911, fit it in the fixture and chuck it in your bench vise.Attach the handle, spooge up the slide with lapping compound, and locomote away for ....oh, 2~6 hours ought to do, until youve put 4 or 12 thousand strokes on it. Take it to the range and shoot it for all it's worth.
    Of course this will have done nothing materially for you, but think of how GOOD you'll feel knowing you've solved your non-existant problem!:n00b:

Oh, and Topdog, I remember that it was the Moro warriors of the Phillipines that convinced the Army that the .38 was the piece of blark they knew it was and forced them to lobby for a more, ahem, to put it genteel-ly, capable round. Then JMB got down to building a perfect shed for that tool.:D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Oh, and Topdog, I remember that it was the Moro warriors of the Phillipines that convinced the Army that the .38 was the piece of blark they knew it was and forced them to lobby for a more, ahem, to put it genteel-ly, capable round. Then JMB got down to building a perfect shed for that tool.:D

:yesway: Got to love the Filipinos for the part they played in the creation of our beloved .45 ACP

Top Bottom