• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll.....
    Can someone please tell me what the purpose of this plug is on the back of the slide, next to the hammer on the 1911. I have a Remington R1 and my uncle has Kimber ( high dollar model ) with the same thing.
    Thanks for the help!
    Robert

ddi68p.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    That's not a plug. That's the extractor. Some of the Kimber models have an external extractor like a beretta 92 series on the side of the slide. Sig also is using the external extractor on their 1911s.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Ok so my kimber has this. So does my new sig tacops. Why does the sig have it when it's an external extractor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heck no springs required with me. Couple weeks ago I almost lost the little lever that kicks the firing pin safety off in a 9mm SW1911. Remember that annoying little booger?

Yes, I remember that piece.
    The thumb safety detente spring is a winner as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't want the OP to get the wrong idea and think we are poking fun. It has been mentioned that button is the back of the extractor. With the gun field stripped use a toothpick or punch to depress the fairing pin. With the firing pin depressed the firing pin stop should slide out. Your R1 has a firing pin safety on the bottom of the slide, hold the firing pin in and depress this to real ease the pin. Once the firing pin stop and pin are out the extractor will slide out the back. It is important to clean the extractor. YouTube celebrity porch monkeys will tell you that 1911s are unreliable. Most gun experts don't realize that cleaning a gun and peridically replacing springs and magazines is important.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't want the OP to get the wrong idea and think we are poking fun. It has been mentioned that button is the back of the extractor. With the gun field stripped use a toothpick or punch to depress the fairing pin. With the firing pin depressed the firing pin stop should slide out. Your R1 has a firing pin safety on the bottom of the slide, hold the firing pin in and depress this to real ease the pin. Once the firing pin stop and pin are out the extractor will slide out the back. It is important to clean the extractor. YouTube celebrity porch monkeys will tell you that 1911s are unreliable. Most gun experts don't realize that cleaning a gun and peridically replacing springs and magazines is important.

This is one of the main reason those you mention run Glocks yet even the much Vaunted Austrian offerings need to be serviced on occasion.
    These are the same folks that never rotate their tires, change the oil or service the breaks when the warning tabs sound off.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is one of the main reason those you mention run Glocks yet even the much Vaunted Austrian offerings need to be serviced on occasion.
    These are the same folks that never rotate their tires, change the oil or service the breaks when the warning tabs sound off.

In their defense I have shoot thousands of rounds through one of my Glocks. Other then a recoil spring and field stripping I have never had the gun apart. Who cares, it's a Glock.

Top Bottom